husky 288 clutch differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found the service bulletin documenting this change. Primary changes are the oil pump piston along with the gear, but the pump housing apparently also is changed. From the SB:

"Note--The new worm gear and the new pump piston do not fit old saws/oil pump housing. When purchasing a new oil pump complete, a new worm gear must be ordered separately."

So, it looks like the oil pump and gear have to be changed together, and of course you'd need the newer clutch drum to drive the new gear.

Do you know the physical difference at oiler side of clutch drum?

Oregon only list one part number for 288 if that means anything.

Ok I must be missing something, all oil drive gears (even the original bronze one) would need teeth to drive it??

I have attached pics showing some of the parts discussed in this thread:

Large: 503 55 75-01

Small: 501 80 30-01

IMG_0338.jpg

Oregon rim drum #28094 with small oil pump drive gear and plastic "dust shield" installed

IMG_0340.jpg

Same Oregon rim drum #28094 with large oil pump drive gear installed

IMG_0342.jpg

Old style oiler # 501 80 25-01 parts showing:

Metal insert (pressed in) # 503 49 50-01

V ring (ruber seal) # 501 27 74-01

Plastic "dust shield" # 501 59 82-01

IMG_0343.jpg

Older style oil pump # 501 80 25-01 installed, showing small plastic oil pump drive gear and V ring sealing around metal insert

IMG_0344.jpg

Same older oil pump with plastic "dust shield" installed over V ring and drive gear. Next would be fitting the rim drum.

IMG_0345.jpg

The later oil pump, # 503 69 81-01, does not use the pressed in metal insert, V ring or plastic "dust shield". It uses the later, larger plastic oil pump drive gear.

Found this trying to understand the oil pump differences on a 288xpg I am rebuilding. Maybe someone is still following this old thread. Is there a preference between the old vs. newer design? I have both styles but to use older design I would need to buy V-ring and plastic washer.

Found this trying to understand the oil pump differences on a 288xpg I am rebuilding. Maybe someone is still following this old thread. Is there a preference between the old vs. newer design? I have both styles but to use older design I would need to buy V-ring and plastic washer.
I'd use the new one. Newer style, better parts availability is what I typically encounter, like the coarse-clutch 61's vs fine thread 61's.

Latest posts

Back