Husky Wrap Chaps Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Husqvarna full-wrap chaps because I wanted the additional protection for the back of my legs. I was surprised after wearing them for several hours that the back flap had bunched and shifted, leaving the back of my calves exposed!!!

The straps are only sewn on part way across the bottom, presumably to allow adjustment for thick or skinny legs. However, this allows too much flop for the flap.

P2221206.jpg

Back home, I put the chaps on and measured to find a practical minimum and maximum amount of overlap for me. Leaving 4 inches of flap (the factory left 8 inches) works for me, and still should accommodate someone with pencil thin legs.

So now I need to stitch/tack each strap (6) TO THE OUTSIDE SHELL ONLY an additional 4 inches to keep the flap in place.

This model of Husqvarna chaps were made in Mexico if that makes a difference.

Philbert

I bought a pair of Husqvarna full-wrap chaps because I wanted the additional protection for the back of my legs. I was surprised after wearing them for several hours that the back flap had bunched and shifted, leaving the back of my calves exposed!!!

The straps are only sewn on part way across the bottom, presumably to allow adjustment for thick or skinny legs. However, this allows too much flop for the flap.

Back home, I put the chaps on and measured to find a practical minimum and maximum amount of overlap for me. Leaving 4 inches of flap (the factory left 8 inches) works for me, and still should accommodate someone with pencil thin legs.
Makes sense.

So now I need to stitch/tack each strap (6) TO THE OUTSIDE SHELL ONLY an additional 4 inches to keep the flap in place.
In case you do not realize this, when you stitch make sure you only attach to the outer layer of the chaps. If you stitch straight through the chaps you could impair the flow of internal fibre/material from coming out and clogging the chain.

This model of Husqvarna chaps were made in Mexico if that makes a difference.
Uh - ho!

Last edited:
The chaps I have are zippered instead of velcro so they almost work like pants .
I prefer pants with full protection ,the price is close to the same and I don't have to take them off if I stop at the tavern for a cold one .

:cheers:

The chaps I have are zippered instead of velcro so they almost work like pants .
I prefer pants with full protection ,the price is close to the same and I don't have to take them off if I stop at the tavern for a cold one .

:cheers:

I find even in winter here the pants are too hot for me. The other reason I prefer chaps is because if a crawly gets inside my shorts I like be able to whip em off real quick.

I noticed this on mine, just havent had the time to sew them up. First outting with them I realized they had slipped down and were draggin around on the ground.

i have those and havent had an issue with the back flap. but i keep those lower three straps almost skin tight. alot of people i work with wear labonville chaps and leave the straps stretched out all the way. i dont know how they do it! the get caught on all the brush and hang in the wrong places and are just akward. regardless of the brand i wear my chaps snug on my legs so i can move.

pardon the rant.

my point is, mabey my rear flap doesnt flop cause i keep it bound down tighter.

EDIT (replaced missing photo) and UPDATE

I have used these chaps now for a few years with the straps modification: sewn to the outside shell fabric up to the mark shown by the yardstick in the photo above.

It has worked very well, and I have not experienced any of the exposure problem.

I don't know if Husqvarna made any changes to their design, or if any other brands have the same issue.

Philbert

Back