044/460 vs jonsered2071(my first sort of husqvarna) Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
As many of you know I have been itching to buy a Husqvarna 372. I found a like new JRed 2071 for $225 and you guys had me jump on it. I am glad I did and here are stihl guy's impressions of the saw after a good once over and 4 tanks of fuel. I found the 2071 muffler much harder to remove and replace than my Stihls. I also did not like the carb adjustment being behind the pull cord on the 2071, I prefer it on the right like on the stihls.

In the cut It did not quite have the power(torque) of my 044 and my 460 wiped it. All saws sport 24 inch bar's with full chisel and were buried in white oak. That pretty much maxed both the 044 and 2071. If I was gonna bury a saw in oak any bigger consistently and needed a bigger bar I would go with a 460 or 660. The 2071 did fine and will be real close (maybe faster) than my 044 when I Tweak the carb for a little more R's and open the muffler. (This has already been done on the 044) I think the 044 is a little more nimble but then I am used to the way it handles. Like how easy the choke is to work on the 2071 over the 044 but fear the 2071 choke may break easier. I am not used to the off switch on any of my jonsereds and never will be. I like that you can not choke the stihl and leave the kill switch in the off position. I dont mind the way the 2071 handles and really like the straight handle bar which allows me to buck firewood using an opposite grip more comfortably.

(the down side to that is that my leg is closer to the chain and I do not yeat have chaps. I want to cut more with the opposite hand cause my left arm is much bigger than the right. I think it is gonna stay that way cause it is not worth cutting my leg to even my arms out.)

Back on topic, I really like both saws 044/2071. Price and condition would be my deciding factor in which one to purchase again. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions all have given me in purchasing and working on both saws.

The ol' tales here used to say that the 371xp etc Husky/Jreds beat the 044/440 with some margin, and really are closer to the 046/460 in woods performance, provided you use the better top-end performance of the 4-channel Swede saws to your advantage - if you are ham-fisted, it won't happen......:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Interesting and thanks for the info. I think the 2071 needs a few more rpms than the 044, you need to let that baby revvvvvvv

The ol' tales here used to say that the 371xp etc Husky/Jreds beat the 044/440 with some margin, and really are closer to the 046/460 in woods performance, provided you use the better top-end performance of the 4-channel Swede saws to your advantage - if you are ham-fisted, it won't happen......:jawdrop:

Interesting and thanks for the info. I think the 2071 needs a few more rpms than the 044, you need to let that baby revvvvvvv

I agree with both of you. I have been tweaking my 044 for a long time. I have not had time to do much to this 2071 other than make sure every was set safe. I will start tweaking and with a little work i think it will beat my 044. Now I dont think it is gona beat my 460 burried in oak. If I it does It will be my go to saw but I dont see that happening.

I agree with both of you. I have been tweaking my 044 for a long time. I have not had time to do much to this 2071 other than make sure every was set safe. I will start tweaking and with a little work i think it will beat my 044. Now I dont think it is gona beat my 460 burried in oak. If I it does It will be my go to saw but I dont see that happening.
Sure it won't beat a 460 in large wood, but it has more top-end power, and may do in smaller wood - no real evidence though.....:)

Latest posts

Back