why full-wrap chaps might be a good idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I always wear my chaps when sawing. They don't have the full wrap and I have often wondered why I would want the back of my calves covered - found out this weekend.

I was cutting up a pile of small stuff and was holding the 372 in my left hand while I tossed the cut up stuff on a pile. At one point when I twisted to hurl a log one handed, the still spinning chain contacted my pants in the back of my calf!! I felt the chain snag and pull the saw back behind me. HELLO! That got my attention real fast, stopped and carefully examined my leg - I wear heavy work pants - no injury.

I am getting ready to order the labonville full-wrap chaps now.

Thanks for posting this, I never use my chain brake, good reminder to start using it.
Guess I never really thought about using the brake, figured it was just a safety feature in case of a kickback.

I bought the full wrap chaps from Labonville a year ago. Absolutely the best investment I ever made. I got the 10 layer "Competition Chaps" & I'm thinkin about buyin another pair to have for spares. Plus they help keep your legs warm.

Leaving the safety part out of it, full wraps are a little less likely to catch on brush, and the few extra dollars is worth it to me just for that.

Until getting on here and reading about the safety equipment, I never used the stuff 'cept ear plugs, glasses and sometimes gloves. I came here looking for input on a bigger saw, and after reading some of the horror stories, I ordered a set of Labonville full wrap chaps. I absolutely hate wearing a hard hat (yeah, bad I know) but now don't go to cut unless I have all the other safety gear on, including steel toe boots.

I realize that all it takes is one moment of inattention. Reading on here has made me realize all the things that can go wrong.

Best safety equipment you have is your brain. Use the brake anytime I take more than a step or two, bending over to pick something up, or almost anytime I'm doing anything other than putting the chain to wood.
If you don't have both hands on the saw, it's a good time to bump the brake forward.

That's what I went with and love them.

I bought the full wrap chaps from Labonville a year ago. Absolutely the best investment I ever made. I got the 10 layer "Competition Chaps" & I'm thinkin about buyin another pair to have for spares. Plus they help keep your legs warm.

Always have to be careful, you might try adjusting the carb to see if you can get it to idle low enough to keep the chain from spinning unless the chain was still spinning from the cut(hadn't slowed down yet).

cut down a elm tree today lots of brush and the thought of chaps was on my mind all day..every time i tripped walking with the saw...lol.....(i used the brake though)
they are on the list...
once i was younger and invincible, now i just know better...

Until getting on here and reading about the safety equipment, I never used the stuff 'cept ear plugs, glasses and sometimes gloves. I came here looking for input on a bigger saw, and after reading some of the horror stories, I ordered a set of Labonville full wrap chaps. I absolutely hate wearing a hard hat (yeah, bad I know) but now don't go to cut unless I have all the other safety gear on, including steel toe boots.

I realize that all it takes is one moment of inattention. Reading on here has made me realize all the things that can go wrong.

I've had dead limbs fall on my head twice now in the last three years. The first time made a believer out of me.

It's good to know that some folks can still learn from others before learning the hard way from their own mistakes...

I think its time for me to buy some chaps as well. I am confused on the sizing-any advice?

I'm 5"10'' 225lbs. I wear 38 waist, 30 inseam pants. What size chaps should I buy (looking at Labonville)?
Thanks,

Will

Some of my saws have no chainbrake and just walking with the bar pointed behind you with the saw off can still snag the back of your leg.

I am not an expert by any means, but the basis for my saw knowledge (aside from experience doing it) comes from the saw safety course I took (twice). Anyone who hasn't ever learned from someone who knows what there doing should look for a class to take-it could save you back, your left, or your life......
If you live anywhere near me, I highly recommend this course, or anyone like it for that matter:

http://www.powerandpaddle.com/CHAIN_SAW_SAFETY_FLYER[1].pdf

I was under the impression that my full wrap chaps are more important for if you are doing cutting a tree down and the saw kicks, it will come back horizontal, get your lower leg. A regular front chap will spin and allow the saw to get your leg if the chap spins around before jamming the saw. With the wrap, it can spin right around your leg and you have 100% coverage. For bucking stuff, having regular front chaps are better than nothing, cause most accidents happen while the saw is pulling up and down on the leg.

Sizing-I'm not sure, but the buckles and straps are all adjustable on mine. Maybe they sell different lengths is all.

Chain spinning while idleing?-tighten the chain up could help. Loose chains are bound to have more problems.

Thank you for mentioning chain brake. I always put on the chain brake when starting the saw. Start the saw while holding between legs. This is easier on the back, arms, etc. I never put the brake on while sawing though. After reading, I will now try to get into the habit of using it while moving rounds one handed, etc. Don't know why I never thought of that. This is why I love reading on the forum!!

I think its time for me to buy some chaps as well. I am confused on the sizing-any advice?

I'm 5"10'' 225lbs. I wear 38 waist, 30 inseam pants. What size chaps should I buy (looking at Labonville)?
Thanks,

Will

The regular would be fine. 32" length. The waist is adjustable up to 44".

Latest posts

Back