Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric howes

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my father gave me his husqvarna 268. It has always been a good running strong saw but now that it is mine i would like to modify it to get some more power out of it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get more power from this saw. It is a later model 268 if that makes a difference. Also what other model saws will Interchange parts. Would a 272 top end work on the 268 or would I be better off with the 268 cylinder. Any info would be great. Thanks

It is a good saw as is. One of the classic good saws. As is.

IMHO.

Play with somebody else’s saw. Not your Dads.
It is now my saw to do what I wish with and I want more out of it. I got it for free so anything I put into it will be what I'll have in the saw. Not looking to make a hot saw out of it just trying to improve whats there that's all

It is your saw, do what you want with it. If you end up blowing it up you can always rebuild it again and just replace the parts that are wrecked.

How much you want to put into it? If you want to do your own muffler mod and timing advance you can get additional performance out of it for not much $.

If you want to go all the way you can get a 272 piston and cylinder and send it to a builder.

FWIW I found a nice OE 272 cylinder for my 61/272 frankensaw for $35.

I like the idea of a 272 top end. Will that kind of build compete with a 372xp? I'm just looking for some good reliable performance.

Now that depends on how you modify that 272 top end. Will it compete with a ported 372, depends. But now you also want reliable too.

I'm not talking about ported saws. Just talking about just stock for stock more or less. I'm sure my 268 could use a top end regardless so the way I look at it if I could upgrade to a 272 top end why not if I can do it cheap enough anyway. Is there any other things I can do to it for cheap besides a muffler mod?

I'm not talking about ported saws. Just talking about just stock for stock more or less. I'm sure my 268 could use a top end regardless so the way I look at it if I could upgrade to a 272 top end why not if I can do it cheap enough anyway. Is there any other things I can do to it for cheap besides a muffler mod?
Muffler mod and also timing advance
I like the idea of a 272 top end. Will that kind of build compete with a 372xp? I'm just looking for some good reliable performance.
272 will always run behind a 372 given other variables are equal.

Not that I care if my saw is faster than a 372 or not I was just curious to know what to expect. Now what the deal with aftermarket 272 52mm cylinder kits. Are they worth messing with?

The difference between a 268 & a 272 is about 5cc: a well sharpened chain will get you more gains on that Saw.

I’d recommend muffler mod, timing advance, & Base gasket delete if it allows, & see what you have.

23b2b0e0857d21f2e4adc657bdf9009f.jpg

A little more manners when you ask for opinions will get you much further with this group.

Latest posts

Back