Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, the 440/460 hybrid brings the best power to weight ratio and combination of RPMs and torque that are to be found in any Stihl saw. You get the lighter weight of the 440 and at least the power of the 460, all in one package. I have not ran a ported 460 next to a hybrid, but can tell you the hybrid is a formidable combination. It's a sawyer's dream hotrod with both crazy RPMs and loads of torque.

Go to 2:10

It will rev a little higher than a 460 ,you may lose a little low end grunt due to the case volume difference .It will be stronger than the 440 jug though .

I agree with that. A sharp chain and the right touch and it will scream through wood. Mine 4 strokes @ 14700

As I already mentioned, I have not compared a hybrid directly with a 460. However, my opinion would vary from yours. My hybrid is tuned to 15,800, yet still has the torque to out cut a strong 461 with a 28" bar buried in frozen hardwood. Next time I build a 460 I'll have to do a direct comparison.

Thanks for the videos @blsnelling the saw in the last video was really screaming! Most of the time I run a 20" bar... I'd say it would be like a hot knife thru butter with that length of bar on it.

Maybe a dumb question here guys. I know you need a 12mm 044 to start building a hybrid. I also know you can start with a ms440. Will any ms440 work?

Cool. That's what I figured. I'm also wanting to build a hybrid saw. Just didn't want to get a saw that wouldn't work.
What's the better cylinder to use an 046 or a ms460 or does it even matter?

Since I'm sans any porting tools at the moment, it'll be a stocker build.
Little polish here and there.
Then it's off to get bananas added or something
I'd love to see a video of the your hybrid in "stock" form before any major porting is done. It would really be cool to see the difference between a stock hybrid and a ported hybrid, especially the same saw

Back