Hydraulic Hoses for wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, It's me again, Millman. The splitter is coming along pretty good. But I have a question on the hoses. For a 16GPM pump, and a 5" cylinder, should I use 1/2 or 5/8 hoses from the work ports on the valves to the cylinder ports? The pump has a 1/2" outlet port and the Valve has a 3/4" inlet port. I would think it would make sense to keep the hoses the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My experience has been,

1/2 hoses are a triffle small for a 16 gpm pump. It makes you wonder what they were thinking when they designed the pump with a 1/2" fitting?? Does that not imply that you can use 1/2" hose ????!!!!??

I would recomend going to 3/4 and using a adapter at the pump. Probably best to avoid sharp angles, etc. I would think that if all the lines were as unrestrictive as possible then a 1/2 hose will work.

-Pat

I think you are splitting hairs worrying about 1/2 or 3/8 or 3/4. Im sure those that designed the pump have a bit more knowledge than any of us here guessing if a 3/4" hose is going to carry more fluid coming out of a 1/2" port. Not to mention the gains in flow or pressure are going to be un-noticed in total system operation.

I have a 16gpm pump and a 4.5" cylinder. I am running about 18 gallons in reserve and have absolutely no problems with 1/2 line from the pump to the valve and 3/4 on the return. I have split some knarly stuff using only half throttle.

1/2" to the cylinder

CaseyForrest said:
I think you are splitting hairs worrying about 1/2 or 3/8 or 3/4. Im sure those that designed the pump have a bit more knowledge than any of us here guessing if a 3/4" hose is going to carry more fluid coming out of a 1/2" port. Not to mention the gains in flow or pressure are going to be un-noticed in total system operation.

I have a 16gpm pump and a 4.5" cylinder. I am running about 18 gallons in reserve and have absolutely no problems with 1/2 line from the pump to the valve and 3/4 on the return. I have split some knarly stuff using only half throttle.

Casey, do you use 1/2 from the valve to the cylinder also?

I believe the problem with a 1/2" hose lies in the fact that where it reduces to go into the fitting its only 5/16 - 3/8". the larger the hose the more gpm and faster cycle time your going to get.

DDM said:
I believe the problem with a 1/2" hose lies in the fact that where it reduces to go into the fitting its only 5/16 - 3/8". the larger the hose the more gpm and faster cycle time your going to get.

But you still initially have to get it through a 1/2" hole. That 1/2" hole right out of the pump sets the stage for GPM and pressure across the entire system. I do agree with what everyone is saying, increaseing the diameter of your hoses decreases the restriction in flow.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. Since I have the 1/2 hoses already made, I am just going to buy some new fittings. If things get really slow, I have 3/4 and 5/8 fittings that I can try and use some new hoses. I will let you know how it turns out.

Millman:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back