I need a bigger saw 461? 661?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would be well pleased with the 461,it will handle the wood you mentioned with ease. There's no reason to wait for the 462 unless you have some fascination with the m-tronic. Good luck with your choice.

You can handle 3.5' diameter with a 24" bar. No need to get a 32" bar. They're heavy and you need a larger saw with high output oiler for it.
Stihl lists the 362CM's maximum bar as 24" but that's pushing it. The oiler can't keep up and the saw struggles a bit with the bar fully engaged, even in fir. It'll do it but it's slow. I ran it that way for a couple big trees and then bought a used 460 from a member here. An 18" or 20" bar is good on the 362. The 460 runs the 24" bar well. 32" is pushing it but I needed that for a 4.5' tree. If you don't have many big trees to cut there's no need to go all out buying large new pro saws.

If this is just for bucking firewood, vote is for the 461/462.
If it will see chainsaw mill time, then consider the 066/661. Although, I mill with my 461, but its the lowest I would go on a mill.

Definitely get the R model of whichever saw you choose, the upgrades over the standard model are worth the extra cost.

Definitely get the R model of whichever saw you choose, the upgrades over the standard model are worth the extra cost.
Hmm really? So many people say go 461 over 661 because of the weight. But the 461R adds 1.1 lbs bringing the 461 to within 0.6 of the 661!

Also the R adds 1.1 to the 461 but only 0.5 to the 661. Is this because the 661 already has a high output oiler?

Hmm really? So many people say go 461 over 661 because of the weight. But the 461R adds 1.1 lbs bringing the 461 to within 0.6 of the 661!

Also the R adds 1.1 to the 461 but only 0.5 to the 661. Is this because the 661 already has a high output oiler?

That’s one of the reasons I would go 661. And you’ll never regret the extra power. You already have small saws. Go big or go home. lol

I know ounces equals pounds and so on and so forth, but personally I don't sweat a one pound difference on a saw, especially on a saw that you will be using mostly to fell trees. The majority of your work will be down low and supported so it's a less important factor on a larger saw. HO oiler, larger dawgs, ceramic roller chain catch, taller side cover, those are all excellent upgrades of a R model and IMHO are worth having, especially on a larger saw.

If it were my money I'd either wait for the 462, which could be a few months or a year plus, no one knows, or swing for the fences and get a 661. You'll have an M-Tronic saw and you'll never long for more power. Best of luck with your decision!

If it were my money I'd either wait for the 462, which could be a few months or a year plus, no one knows, or swing for the fences and get a 661. You'll have an M-Tronic saw and you'll never long for more power. Best of luck with your decision!
Interesting you say that given that you have a 441, which I'm also considering. How do you like yours? Knowing what you do now, would you buy it again?

Interesting you say that given that you have a 441, which I'm also considering. How do you like yours? Knowing what you do now, would you buy it again?

I wanted the 462 like yourself, but of course it wasn't available at the time of my purchase and still isn't with no firm release date in sight. I had some trees that needed to be cleared within a certain time frame so I was forced into a purchase at that moment in time. Like yourself, I too prefer M-Tronic saws so that eliminated the 461 from my options. I didn't see the need for a 91cc saw like the 661 when I could easily get by with a 70cc class saw, enter the 441. I purchased the R model specifically for the R upgrades, most notably the HO oiler since I needed to run a 25-28" B&C for the job at hand.

I'll admit, I was a little apprehensive about the purchase at first because the first gen 441's had issues and earned a less than stellar reputation because of those early days. These newer 441's couldn't be more different and I am very happy with my decision after having used it extensively. It is unquestionably the smoothest running saw Stihl makes and quite possibly of any current production saw on the market.

If the 462 were available now I would buy it if I were in the market for a new 70-80cc saw simply because it has the latest and greatest tech and because it makes a lot of power for its weight. If you have time to wait indefinitely then I'd hold out for the 462, if you need it sooner rather than later, I think you have to ask yourself if you'll ever need more than a 70cc saw. If you think it's a possibility then grab the 661, you can always run a mill with it as well, but if 70cc's will always be enough then get a 441R and don't look back.

Yes there is still an R model, it's in the book at your dealer, not sure why they don't show them on the website. It's $60-80 more than the standard 441 C-M.

The HO oiler does not add significant weight. It's the same pump body with a slightly modified piston and adjuster to allow more piston travel.
it's not that difficult to swap those parts in to an existing pump.

I have a ported 261 and ported OE 372. I recently got a 661 (bone stock) with a wrap handle. My dealer couldnt get the R model so he just ordered the handle for me. Had I gotten the 661 first I would have no need for the 372. I havent had the 661 very long but I see the 372 getting less use. I can pick them up side by side and the 661 does feel a bit heavier but I cant tell it when in use. Right now I have a 24" bar and 8 pin rim on the 661 but will put a 32" on it soon to flush cut some stumps and will step back to 7 pin.

I've never ran a 461 for what its worth.

I'm sure others have said but there really is no wrong choice. I am the type though had I gotten a 461 I would always wonder what a 661 would do.

Back