Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really get involved with all that stuff, just thought it interesting to see those times fall in line on my own chain choices that I have made. Cant stand the Carlton/Woodland pro stuff everyone else likes but have said there semi chisel was decent.

If .325 chain was run the 20LPX would have made the Carlton look even worse.

Personally as much as I like the 72LGX I like the 72LPX better. You guys ever try to work that stuff over?

Maybe I should have left that 32" 75JGX chain that got into that metal, with JD to see if he could work any magic with it to even make it cut again. :)

Well maybe next time then.

You only still have it because I already had one. :laugh:

Yes... LPX is even better with the bumpers ground off... Then square filed... If I'm thinking of the right Oregon name here...:confused:

I've got a loop of .325LPX in the shop...
May have to have a go at it...:msp_wink:

Last edited:
Hedge also mentioned to me while in between chain races that the numbers could dramatically change with a higher or lower HP saw. My chain was based off of my pipe saw set up. A tad bit aggressive for a "stock" saw. Both the 2171 and 371 sounded and ran dang healthy btw.

Yes... LPX is even better with the bumpers ground off... Then square filed... If I'm thinking of the right Oregon name here...:confused:

I've got a loop of .325LPX in the shop...
May have to have a go at it...:msp_wink:

Yeah you got it, the LPX has the small bumper links that help make it smooth and the small rakers that I like.

Hedge also mentioned to me while in between chain races that the numbers could dramatically change with a higher or lower HP saw. My chain was based off of my pipe saw set up. A tad bit aggressive for a "stock" saw. Both the 2171 and 371 sounded and ran dang healthy btw.

Makes sense.

Yup... Both very nice saws...

I have a real clean Allis Chalmers 75 to match it.. If you like:msp_wink:

Well, if I could buy it for the same price I paid for the AC95......we have a deal! Seems unlikely though. I'm really more into the big old saws but it's hard to pass up a HTF saw when it's a great deal :msp_wink:

Well I didn't forget at first. Couldnt find you when I did go to check it out. I started to grab it and do it anyway then got sidetracked again......

Busy day.

maybe we'll get a 2nd chance to talk if nothing else... There might be plans for the IN GTG in a couple weeks... we'll have to see how it all works out! :wink2:

Finally got some pics off the camera... :rock:

I'll start with the last picture I took for the weekend, of one of my very favorite folks...

attachment.php

A nice group pic...

attachment.php

The hosts of this gtg talking to the hosts of the the last gtg we attended...

attachment.php

First try at a little name carving...

attachment.php

Great pictures Sarah. Not really sure what you are trying to capture in a couple of them:confused2: must be a girl thing:D

Great picture of Jim he is a great person to always see at the GTG's

No posed pictures are the best when caught in the moment.

Scarr seems to be enjoying the ride a little to much:msp_scared:

Those were some of the best parts of the gtg...
Aside from taking Andy's dollars of course....
That was the very very best part...
I owed him from last April...
:msp_tongue:

Those were some of the best parts of the gtg...
Aside from taking Andy's dollars of course....
That was the very very best part...
I owed him from last April...
:msp_tongue:

Beating a couple of pipe saws with a dignified work saw was a great highlight.

FIRST GTH - Good time - Great People!!

Thanks to all who made this GTG happen - especially the gracious hosts & setup crew. I met a lot of good folks who were more than happy to give a newb sound advice and even run their cool and even rare saws (Mark & Chris). Thanks all!!! Jim (cornfused)

at oakfest last weekend there was some talk about having a swapmeet gtg.
what do you guys think?:msp_confused:
wood you come,how far wood you come?
when to have it?
all things saw related,saws,parts,milling,splitters,and heating(wood stove etc)
dealers or not?
let me know,opinions,ideas:help:
thanks,hoskvarna

Got a few pics off the camera to share. My daughter ( Jess ) took these as I seemed to forget all about taking photos!
A good view of the cut site.
attachment.php

View from other direction.
attachment.php

Group photo taken just after lunch.
attachment.php

Some one seems to like blue saws.Nstueve, I believe.
attachment.php

The group from Minnesota had a BUNCH of saws stacked in this trailer (behind the blue chair). 3 levels of saws, gear, and camping stuff.
attachment.php

Back