Just starting out with firewood. Have some questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suzanne, it's not unusual for the guys on this site to be helpful to new members, but you seem to have touched a chord here and the degree and thoughtfulness to which everyone is trying to help is way above the norm and mighty impressive.

Truer words have not been spoken! The guy on this list helped me out and continue to do so! :)

Before long your firewood 'tools' will include a trailer, a saw, chainsaw PPE (like chaps, etc.), a pickeroon, files for sharpening chains, a dolly for moving large rounds, etc.

Welcome to the word burning world!

Shari

At $179, I'm gonna guess you were looking at an MS170 (if there are any still in stock) or it's replacement, the MS171. They are "occasional use" as stated above, but I ran a 170 for years as my small saw and it held up well. I think for your current uses (cutting down split wood, cutting up pallets, etc) it will do fine, as well as a Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, or Dolmar in the same price range. They're not made to cut bigger wood, but if you're scrounging and running into big stuff down the road, then would be the time to find a bigger used saw for that. If all you're cutting is 12" diameter or smaller, the little saws will do fine. We always think that bigger is better here, but it's not always the case, depending on needs.

As mentioned above, by all means get your saw from a local small engine shop, or hardware store that services what they sell (HD, Lowes etc are not the ones I'm talking about). Ask to speak with their mechanic and see what he reccommends. It's kinda a test. If they send their saws out to be fixed, send yourself out the door before spending your money there.

If spike60's shop is anywhere close to you, get on over there!

Info

You were talking about fire wood to long for your stove if it's split take a chop saw and cut it to your length. My customers want different length and size. Chop saw cuts quick and I have used the same blade for a couple years and is still sharp later.

Call the firewood dealer up, and let them know you don't appreciate getting shorted, the over length stuff, and the Pine.
It is NOT what you agreed to buy, and if they do not make things right, you will let the world know they are selling trash and ripping people off.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Bingo

If the seller is reputable and wants you as a regular customer, he'll make it right. Pick up the phone and call him, but be courteous unless he acts like a jerk.

As previously stated, I sell wood and my repeat customers are my bread and butter. Unfortunately many have been with me for so long they are either passing on, going to live with relatives or entering the dreaded nursing home. This means every year I need to pick up one or two new customers with the hopes of getting another repeat customer. As I tell every customer new or repeat when I drop off wood, call me if there's an issue, I can't make it right if you don't tell me there's a problem.

Take Care

new wood stove is in !!

My new stove was installed today and I am burning my first fire right now. It is soooo cool !! Not really cool....very hot as a matter of fact since it is 70 degrees outside. The installer told me to have a fire tonight to get rid of the funky smell from a new stove. I split and stacked most of the wood I got and I have attached pics of it all. I am so excited about the whole wood thing. Always loved a fire. something so relaxing about it. Stove seems to be working great. Now that is has been burning for 30 minutes it is throwing off alot of heat. Won't be throwing any more logs in it tonight. ! Much easier than I expected but I am a little nervous with the first fire. I had a fireplace in a house years ago and smoked out the entire living room. Scared me. But I don't see that happening with this stove.
I am not sure about a chainsaw. I have to keep it lightweight or I won't be able to handle it. I have had many shoulder surgeries and my upper body strength is good but not as good as I would like it to be. Also, money is a consideration and I just don't have alot to spend so maybe I will wait a while. I really want one but don't want to buy something that is going to break in 5 minutes. I have a friend that will be coming over with his chainsaw to cut the longer pieces that I have. I emailed the people I bought the wood from but no reply, which is what I expected. After I stacked it all it came closer to 2 cords because the 1st cord was much larger than the 2nd. Chalk it up to experience. Why get aggravated. It could have been worse. Phew....It's getting hot in here !!!!!!!!!!!How do I turn this thing off :)
I hope I stacked my wood ok. What do you think ? First time doing that too. LOVE WOOD ! Love the smell of it and love to burn it. Pretty soon I will be cutting down trees ! I think I better turn my AC on....
I don't know how to have my pictures show up except as attachments. Can someone help me with that? THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step away frojm the woodstove.

Please move sensitive electronic equipment to another corner.

Kepp hanging around. And take someone up on thier offer to see if you can start a small chain saw. Although in all reality a small electric splitter and a chop saw can do alot for you. You just have to balance purchasing split wood with scrounging, with your skills and physical capabilities.

I see a covered work/storage are in your future, which also costs money or time or grit, depending on which you have more of. Pick two, the other will cost you.

How pretty!

My new stove was installed today and I am burning my first fire right now. It is soooo cool !! Not really cool....very hot as a matter of fact since it is 70 degrees outside. The installer told me to have a fire tonight to get rid of the funky smell from a new stove. I split and stacked most of the wood I got and I have attached pics of it all. I am so excited about the whole wood thing. Always loved a fire. something so relaxing about it. Stove seems to be working great. Now that is has been burning for 30 minutes it is throwing off alot of heat. Won't be throwing any more logs in it tonight. ! Much easier than I expected but I am a little nervous with the first fire. I had a fireplace in a house years ago and smoked out the entire living room. Scared me. But I don't see that happening with this stove.
I am not sure about a chainsaw. I have to keep it lightweight or I won't be able to handle it. I have had many shoulder surgeries and my upper body strength is good but not as good as I would like it to be. Also, money is a consideration and I just don't have alot to spend so maybe I will wait a while. I really want one but don't want to buy something that is going to break in 5 minutes. I have a friend that will be coming over with his chainsaw to cut the longer pieces that I have. I emailed the people I bought the wood from but no reply, which is what I expected. After I stacked it all it came closer to 2 cords because the 1st cord was much larger than the 2nd. Chalk it up to experience. Why get aggravated. It could have been worse. Phew....It's getting hot in here !!!!!!!!!!!How do I turn this thing off :)
I hope I stacked my wood ok. What do you think ? First time doing that too. LOVE WOOD ! Love the smell of it and love to burn it. Pretty soon I will be cutting down trees ! I think I better turn my AC on....
I don't know how to have my pictures show up except as attachments. Can someone help me with that? THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

--very pretty stove and nice stacks. You can cover just the top of the stack if you wish to help run rain and snow off. I just use heavy black plastic on mine and weight it down with "bummer" pieces, oddball crotches and chunks that are not gonna get split any more than they are, plus don't stack well. Those turn into "all nighter" chunks.

How close is the stove to the wall? Looks a little close. You could always scrounge some used bricks and stack then up on the two walls there, help reflect heat plus match and look cool with that floor under the heater. They make fireproof sheets as well you could tack up there. Although I prefer scrounge and build over store bought whenever possible. Used red bricks are nice looking.

Chainsaws..you know, they do make battery operated ones now, from just under a hundred bucks to the new stihl at 600. Might be an alternative to a gas one, and no worries about starting them, on/off.

Ya, not near as powerful as gas ones, but hey, might work for ya for some jobs who knows. I have absolutely zero experience with any of them though, so you would have to go by reviews from folks who have bought them. Appears to be a selection of them on amazon and elsewhere.

Stove

Used red bricks for around the stove sounds like a great idea!. Not sure where I could get them. Never thought of that and I need something to fill in the space behind that area anyway. The stove itself is shielded on 3 sides already so I was told I don't need to shield it but it sounds like it would help. I don't know the exact distance from the stove to the wall. I had to get a permit and the inspector will be here on Friday morning so hopefully it is right. The guy that put it in measured it like crazy.
I think I will have to move my TV but not sure where I will put it. My living room is kind of small but I do need to rearrange before I start up the stove for winter. The fire is dying down now so that is good.
I will look into electric or battery operated chain saws but I do like the idea of a gas chain saw and the low end Stihl is light enough for me to handle. I already have a shed that is 30x30 that stores 1000 bales of hay for my horses. I may put up a wood shed for the hay and keep the other shed for other stuff if I ever get the money. I would really like to learn how to do woodcarvings. A good project for the winter and then sell in the summer. I live very close to Lake George, NY. Not this summer, but next summer I want to build a picnic table. I found some plans on the internet. So many things to do and just not enough time. I bought this place last year so there is still alot of work. I bought the land from and friend, bought the doublewide and hired a contractor to do the install. But now that I am going to get the tools, maybe I can learn how to build things. I believe that I can do anything I set my mind to. I inherited my dad's old Craftsman tractor and I figured out how to fix alot of things, changed oil, spark plugs, cleaned carburetor, replaced pinion gear, ignition coil, replaced pulley, drive belt, air filter, fuel filter. I was so full of grease my friends were calling me a "grease monkey". It is my pride and joy !:)
There are so many choices for a chain saw so I will take my time. An electric wood splitter sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check and see how much they are. Checked into getting a hitch for my car for a trailer. I got 3 quotes and they were so different it was amazing. One was $100 more than the other.

Chainsaw confusion

I am utterly confused by all of the chainsaw options. I looked at the battery and electric options. I don't like electric because I want to be able to cut anywhere. Battery seems interesting but I did not find any good reviews for what I want to do.
So, I am back to the gas options. Because of price I was going to get the Stihl MS170 for $179 but the reviews did not seem that great. I think I am going to have to wait to save more money to get what I want. It doesn't make sense to buy something that will give me alot of trouble. It sounds like the Stihl Farmboss would work for me.
Just too many choices. I could sit here all day and read reviews. What do you guys think about the MS170? Anybody have experience with that.? or the Farmboss. I guess alot of it has to do with personal preference.
They are sold by a local dealer who services and sells Stihl, Husky, and John Deere. I'll have to go over there and check out what they have and see what feels right.

I don't have any experiences with the MS170 but I would imagine with that low of a price it wouldn't be much of a saw. Have you checked into a used saw? A lot of times you will end up with buying someone's problem but you can find those rare gems from time to time that will give you years of trouble free service for very little cost. Check with friends/ neighbors to see if they have a saw that they don't use anymore.

If weight or starting are issues that you are concerned with then the Farmboss is not for you. Those are heavy for their size and power. A lot of people like them, but their are a lot of better choices out there. It is bigger than you would want to start out with and will make you wish you had a smaller saw very quickly.

On the topic of starting a saw, many of the better saws have different starting features that can make starting much easier. I would avoid anything with a primer bulb and look for a compression release feature. Check out this link of how easy some saws can be to start. YouTube - ‪Dolmar 420 Starting Cold‬‏

ain't no way around it

I am utterly confused by all of the chainsaw options. I looked at the battery and electric options. I don't like electric because I want to be able to cut anywhere. Battery seems interesting but I did not find any good reviews for what I want to do.
So, I am back to the gas options. Because of price I was going to get the Stihl MS170 for $179 but the reviews did not seem that great. I think I am going to have to wait to save more money to get what I want. It doesn't make sense to buy something that will give me alot of trouble. It sounds like the Stihl Farmboss would work for me.
Just too many choices. I could sit here all day and read reviews. What do you guys think about the MS170? Anybody have experience with that.? or the Farmboss. I guess alot of it has to do with personal preference.
They are sold by a local dealer who services and sells Stihl, Husky, and John Deere. I'll have to go over there and check out what they have and see what feels right.

Good quality chainsaws cost some money. You might want to take a look in the classifieds here see what might be available. A lot of guys here rebuild saws and sell them and they are deals compared to new. Or alternately post a "wanted to buy small saw" ad yourself. I'd stick to newer saws with good anti vibe and chainbrakes for your situation.

I have a small "homeowner" class husky, the smallest/cheapest they made at the time, I bought new several years ago for just at two hundred and it has been just tops for reliability, easy starting and cutting. I've used it a *lot* even on bigger stuff where a much bigger saw would have been better. I mean, this is a work saw, I have run it much harder than harry homeowner would.

FWIW, echo makes nice saws as well. They just need to be initially tuned at an echo dealer before running..well..same as any new saw needs that today. The EPA has made it so hard for the saw manufacturers they ship new saws wayyy too lean in order to pass emissions.

And if all possible, try to find non ethanol gas for your saw gas mix, use synthetic mix oil, or if you aren't cutting a whole lot, a lot of stores carry the pre mixed fuel in a can for around five a quart. I know wally world and home despot have that. I picked some up to try it, trufuel, and like it. Ya, expensive, but the stuff works good and you won't develop the issues that ethanol causes in small engines today. Ethanol fuel is just rank stuff, eats fuel lines and carbs, etc, separates easy, attracts water into the mix. Avoid it for your saw and other small engine stuff. Canned fuel lasts two years, ethanol fuel two weeks. It just gunks stuff up bad if it isn't used all up fast.

And if all possible, try to find non ethanol gas for your saw gas mix, use synthetic mix oil, or if you aren't cutting a whole lot, a lot of stores carry the pre mixed fuel in a can for around five a quart. I know wally world and home despot have that. I picked some up to try it, trufuel, and like it. Ya, expensive, but the stuff works good and you won't develop the issues that ethanol causes in small engines today. Ethanol fuel is just rank stuff, eats fuel lines and carbs, etc, separates easy, attracts water into the mix. Avoid it for your saw and other small engine stuff. Canned fuel lasts two years, ethanol fuel two weeks. It just gunks stuff up bad if it isn't used all up fast.

Excellent advice there. Never use ethanol in your small engines, bad for all the reasons given.

Although I have never had problems running any quality mix oil from Stihl, Husky, or Echo, most have started making a high end synthetic that is suppose to be better than what we have run for years. Hopefully saying this won't turn this into a "witch oil" thread, I wouldn't spend the premium prices for something like Stihl Ultra, in the white bottle when I have never had problems with the orange bottle stuff.

Ive got a MS 170 that we use for 4" and under, brushing out the trees. Its a good saw. I also have a top handle Echo 300 or 3000, whatever, its a climbing saw, and it absolutely loves abuse. Has sat for more than a year and fires up witht he gas left in it. Not cheap though.

The MS 170 is advertised right now for 179 and double the warranty if you buy a twelve pack of their premium oli mix. (which you'd do anyway) I recommend it, it will be a good saw for eight inches and under, pallets and dunnage. I'm trying to consider how much arm strenght you're going to have for higher cc's higher compression.
For 180 bucks, you ought to be able to use it. And if you feel you can move up in power in a couple og years, you'll know you can. If you buy to big right now, then get chased off, you've tossed some money.

Keep getting wood now! 2 cords will never make it........................

saw confusion

OP, if you need some in-person saw advice, there is a site sponsor on here about 20 miles south of you (at least his user name is listed as a site sponsor, if not, sorry).

Place is The Cutting Edge in Greenwich, NY, he's a Dolmar dealer. AS user name is 166. I think they cater more to professional users, but a quick call or email might be worth your time.

Never dealt with the place, but it may be a good resource that's local and accountable to this site!

My thoughts for a saw (and I'm hardly an expert), would be a nice 45-50cc firewood saw that will cut anything you're likely to throw at it. For Dolmar that would be the PS-460 or PS-510, for Husky a 353 or maybe a 455 Rancher, for Jonsered a 2152 (red 353), for Stihl a MS250 or a MS290 Farm Boss. The Ranchers and Farm Bosses are a little big for their power output, and they have some compromises in construction to keep costs down, but they work fine. But you're looking at $300-400 for a decent new saw for your application, plus another $100 or so for safety gear (and that's money well-spent). Echos...I picked up a current model not that long ago just to see what they looked like, and I thought it was chintzy feeling compared to my old top-handled Echo CS-300 (you don't want a top-handle saw for firewood).

I find my 51cc Dolmar PS-510 is my go-to saw more than my 59cc Jonsered 2159, just because it's lighter. But those two saws are kind of in overlapping territory.

Good luck!

very impressed

i would like to say the advice i have read here is very impressive .you all have given very good advice to a new guy.it is nice to see such depth in helping someone.k

Keep getting wood now! 2 cords will never make it........................

I have a friend with a big truck and he is going to help me get 50 to 60 pallets and then I am going to chop them up for firewood. Then I will collect more wood over the summer. The installer guy told me I could heat the house with less than 3 cords and I have 2 1/2 now so I am almost there. I can fit lots of wood in my Honda so any place I see wood I will pick it up. Then at the end of the summer get a cord of dry if I need it.

Good quality chainsaws cost some money. You might want to take a look in the classifieds here see what might be available. A lot of guys here rebuild saws and sell them and they are deals compared to new. Or alternately post a "wanted to buy small saw" ad yourself. I'd stick to newer saws with good anti vibe and chainbrakes for your situation.

I have a small "homeowner" class husky, the smallest/cheapest they made at the time, I bought new several years ago for just at two hundred and it has been just tops for reliability, easy starting and cutting. I've used it a *lot* even on bigger stuff where a much bigger saw would have been better. I mean, this is a work saw, I have run it much harder than harry homeowner would.

FWIW, echo makes nice saws as well. They just need to be initially tuned at an echo dealer before running..well..same as any new saw needs that today. The EPA has made it so hard for the saw manufacturers they ship new saws wayyy too lean in order to pass emissions.

I have heard that about ethanol and had alot of problems with the carburetors on 3 mowers this year. I think they are loading gasoline with more and more of it. I will check at Walmart for the good stuff. I didn't know you could get that. One day next week I am going over to the chainsaw dealer and see what they have and what they think I can physically handle.

Good advice

Ive got a MS 170 that we use for 4" and under, brushing out the trees. Its a good saw. I also have a top handle Echo 300 or 3000, whatever, its a climbing saw, and it absolutely loves abuse. Has sat for more than a year and fires up witht he gas left in it. Not cheap though.

The MS 170 is advertised right now for 179 and double the warranty if you buy a twelve pack of their premium oli mix. (which you'd do anyway) I recommend it, it will be a good saw for eight inches and under, pallets and dunnage. I'm trying to consider how much arm strenght you're going to have for higher cc's higher compression.
For 180 bucks, you ought to be able to use it. And if you feel you can move up in power in a couple og years, you'll know you can. If you buy to big right now, then get chased off, you've tossed some money.

This is good advice and I have to consider how much strength I have. I have alot of arm strength but the shoulders are not as strong. I have to pick a chainsaw up and see how it feels. No sense in buying something I can't handle. Then when I get stronger I can go bigger.

OP, if you need some in-person saw advice, there is a site sponsor on here about 20 miles south of you (at least his user name is listed as a site sponsor, if not, sorry).

Place is The Cutting Edge in Greenwich, NY, he's a Dolmar dealer. AS user name is 166. I think they cater more to professional users, but a quick call or email might be worth your time.

Never dealt with the place, but it may be a good resource that's local and accountable to this site!

My thoughts for a saw (and I'm hardly an expert), would be a nice 45-50cc firewood saw that will cut anything you're likely to throw at it. For Dolmar that would be the PS-460 or PS-510, for Husky a 353 or maybe a 455 Rancher, for Jonsered a 2152 (red 353), for Stihl a MS250 or a MS290 Farm Boss. The Ranchers and Farm Bosses are a little big for their power output, and they have some compromises in construction to keep costs down, but they work fine. But you're looking at $300-400 for a decent new saw for your application, plus another $100 or so for safety gear (and that's money well-spent). Echos...I picked up a current model not that long ago just to see what they looked like, and I thought it was chintzy feeling compared to my old top-handled Echo CS-300 (you don't want a top-handle saw for firewood).

I find my 51cc Dolmar PS-510 is my go-to saw more than my 59cc Jonsered 2159, just because it's lighter. But those two saws are kind of in overlapping territory.

Good luck!

I read alot of good reviews on the Dolmar. I think I have to look around and get a feel for these chainsaws. It has to be something that I can handle and feel confident with. Lighter weight to start with is going to be the best solution for me now. Which of these that you listed above are easier to handle ?

Latest posts

Back