Just starting out with firewood. Have some questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Info

I split and sell fire wood for a living and friends that do it for a living. I have watched people tring to split a bad piece and can't so I show them by moving your chunk of wood a little and it splits very easy. So as the other men say Read the grain of the wood. I split off the good stuff and then I sell the left over chunks to a customer that like it for the heated long burn.I get pallets with 4 x 4 and 6 x 6 so look around. Later

Thanks for all the great advice ! I have learned so much in just a few days. I like the idea of burning pallets because they are FREE !! And there is a place just down the road that gets tons of them...I also just looked at a site that has all kinds of buildings you can put up using pallets. Chicken coops, sheds, one guy even built a home with them !! Amazing....I would love to build a shed for my hay with them. But I store 1000 bales and need a big shed like a 30 x 30. That's alot of pallet collecting !! :)

Info

Buy you wood in the spring and let it season or dry so you get a good burn or mix your dry wood with green to get the log burn. I sell green wood in the summer for less dry wood is more costly. I have to store it for a year so that brings up the price. So buy half what you need to dry all summer. Then buy green as you need it. Most of my customers buy green. I sell year round so firewood is a year round business. You have educate you customers to get return customers.

With your little car, you can pull a 4 x 8 trailer stacked with ten to 20 pallets, no probelm. HD sells small trailers, and finances them cheap if you are a new card holder. Its after the first year their interest rate starts to climb- high.

I still sense it will be better for you to get a small beater truck for scrounging, and keep your commuter. You probably don't need a full size truck, since you might want to overload it, and your stamina may not want to do both ends of the work all at once, (filling and then emptying) A full size beater will probably be easier to source.

Get a small trailer

I have three trailers used to have 7 Get a trailer. I had tow hitches installed on all of my vehicles. The only thing you need to worry about is tires. No registration (at least not yearly and it is cheap) no insurance,no gas, less maintains takes up less space. You will really beat up your car using it for hauling stuff. Look in Craig's list, home depot, on line search, etc. I have a snow bear I purchased from home depot it is light weight and super handy it even has a ramp.Internet search also. A trailer unlike a truck you do not need to unload right away like a truck. good luck David.

I just bought a new wood stove and will have it installed in a few weeks. I live upstate NY and it gets cold and very snowy here. I bought a doublewide last years and it is very well insulated. I am heating with kersone which is very costly so am switching to wood. I burned about 380 gals of kerosene last year.
I have been told that I need 2 cords of wood each year. I can easily get fresh cut wood but I am having trouble finding seasoned wood and not sure exactly what that means. I think everyone has a different definition of what seasoned means. I really don't want to struggle with wet wood, especially my first year. I know some people have semi-seasoned that they say is 3 months but it is red oak and I don't think it will be ready by September or October. What are your thoughts? Also, I am considering getting a couple of cords of kiln dried for this year. It is alot more money but may be alot less hassle. I really only wanted to buy 2 cords now to burn this year but I am hearing that it is too late to do that. Is there any way to dry wood quickly and have it ready in 3 months? Thank you all !! Great site !
Suzanne

Dont think 2 cords is going to get you there! Get your wood now and get it stacked asap........

Link?

Thanks for all the great advice ! I have learned so much in just a few days. I like the idea of burning pallets because they are FREE !! And there is a place just down the road that gets tons of them...I also just looked at a site that has all kinds of buildings you can put up using pallets. Chicken coops, sheds, one guy even built a home with them !! Amazing....I would love to build a shed for my hay with them. But I store 1000 bales and need a big shed like a 30 x 30. That's alot of pallet collecting !! :)

got a link for the pallet building site?

hey, or hay..what kinda critters you got? The plot thickens here, you really need a truck now for all this work it looks like you are getting into...too bad you weren't down here, no or little rust on old vehicles....you can find some deals on decent runners....man, I remember working on rusty yankee vehicles..yeech....

Pallets and other stuff

Here is some links for the pallet buildings..

Building a shed from recycled wooden pallets

How to Make a Shed From Wood Pallets | eHow.com

Yahoo! Image Search Results for building a shed with pallets

I have 4 horses and 3 dogs so it is a big friendly family. Lots of work and I know I should have a truck but just don't have the money. I am looking into buying a trailer. Then I can build with the pallets. Maybe build a chicken coupe.

Tomorrow I am going to split the wood that I got stack it and make sure it is 2 cords. Also, there is some pine in it and it was supposed to be all hardwood. I am going to set the pine aside and use for kindling. Woodsplitting with a splitter is easier than using an axe. My friend loaned me a small splitter. I am too old for the axe. Although I am going to keep trying !!

well, good for you!

Here is some links for the pallet buildings..

Building a shed from recycled wooden pallets

How to Make a Shed From Wood Pallets | eHow.com

Yahoo! Image Search Results for building a shed with pallets

I have 4 horses and 3 dogs so it is a big friendly family. Lots of work and I know I should have a truck but just don't have the money. I am looking into buying a trailer. Then I can build with the pallets. Maybe build a chicken coupe.

Tomorrow I am going to split the wood that I got stack it and make sure it is 2 cords. Also, there is some pine in it and it was supposed to be all hardwood. I am going to set the pine aside and use for kindling. Woodsplitting with a splitter is easier than using an axe. My friend loaned me a small splitter. I am too old for the axe. Although I am going to keep trying !!

--we have beefers, cluckers, barkers and meowers and one hee hawwer! heheh used to have some quackers and some...toot WHEETers, but got rid of them.

Farm work keeps ya young! I do the cutting and splitting here, but GF does most of the stacking, she likes the artistic challenge. She tried the fiskars splitting axe one time, too funny, looked like...girly swings! hahah nuthin split.....sometimes I get stuff I can't split either, I throw that on the "to be continued, it's a bummer now" pile. try it again later, like two months later.

Thanks for the pallet links! The only thing I have made out of pallets is the cargo box I use on the rear hay forks on the tractor, Well, it started as a pallet a big oak one, then I added more pressure treated to it. It's a big box with a removable back. I do all sorts of work with that thing, including my firewood.

Haying here is all mechanized, no small ones, just really big round bales. And it really varies with the season and weather, We've gotten from around 25 to over a hundred on the same ground. Just depends on how perfect the weather gets or not. Hmm, I guess...each big bale would be around like 30 something small square bales. We only hay twice a year though.

While a truck would be nice, one other nice thing about a trailer specially if it has a ramp is it sits lower to the the ground and if a round is to heavy to pick up you can just roll it up the ramp, then later roll it right n down. :)

wood measurement?

So, I just stacked one cord of wood and it measures 6x4x4.5 which I think is 108 cubic feet. I also have a small pile that is too long for my stove and a pile of pine. They are very small piles though. There was not supposed to be any pine in this load and I asked for all pieces to be cut less than 18" and there are some that are 19 and 20. It also took me 4 hours to split the wood because alot of it was only cut in half. I have another cord I will have to do the same with. I am annoyed with the people that sold me the wood. What are your opinions? And, am I measuring the cord correctly? I did cut it into smaller pieces so maybe if it was stacked with the larger pieces it would be a cord. Any advice?
I am going to get a trailer and a chain saw. There is lots of free wood around. Why pay for it?

smokin!

So, I just stacked one cord of wood and it measures 6x4x4.5 which I think is 108 cubic feet. I also have a small pile that is too long for my stove and a pile of pine. They are very small piles though. There was not supposed to be any pine in this load and I asked for all pieces to be cut less than 18" and there are some that are 19 and 20. It also took me 4 hours to split the wood because alot of it was only cut in half. I have another cord I will have to do the same with. I am annoyed with the people that sold me the wood. What are your opinions? And, am I measuring the cord correctly? I did cut it into smaller pieces so maybe if it was stacked with the larger pieces it would be a cord. Any advice?
I am going to get a trailer and a chain saw. There is lots of free wood around. Why pay for it?

--now you got it. It's OK to buy your first year, after that, scrounge! Free is just such a spiffy price.....Only one way better than free, get paid to cut it and haul it off!

I *really* suggest a mentor to show you some chainsaw basics, including proper use, safety and normal maintenance and sharpening. You can get started though on any of the major saw dealers sites looking at their videos, husky, stihl, echo, etc.

I am currently working on my echo 600p, so I noticed they had some vids on their site:

Product Demo Videos ECHO Chain Saw Carving Video How To - ECHO USA

wait, scroll to bottom, ton of vids there, covers everything

ECHO CS-500P 54.1cc Chain Saw - ECHO USA

there's tons more out there, just google around, plus a ton more of "newbie" advice here on this site in the various threads

Call them up...if they have the guts to answer, and give them an ear full. Clearly what they told you was in the load WAS NOT. These people are the kind of turd bags that give wood sellers a bad rep. I run into the same crap with my lawn business. Any idiot with a pick up and a push mower thinks he can do what me and my equipment can. Clearly you are on the right track. A trailer and a saw are a must at this point. I like husqvarna saws so here goes my recomendation...get a 350, decent power, light and there are plenty of used ones out there (both complete and parts saws)

Suzanne, it's not unusual for the guys on this site to be helpful to new members, but you seem to have touched a chord here and the degree and thoughtfulness to which everyone is trying to help is way above the norm and mighty impressive.

You ought to consider having a small GTG at your place and those of us that are within a reasonable distance can come up there for a day and help you get set up for your first year of burning. All you'll need is a grill to throw some food on, and we can do the rest. Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours for me, so I'd be glad to pitch in. Anyone else close enough that would be willing to help this lady join the woodburning world?

Also, your going to need to trim those pieces that are a bit too long to fit in your stove. If you don't feel that you are ready for a gas powered chain saw, consider getting a decent electric unit.

chain saw

I looked at a Stihl chainsaw today. It is the least expensive at $179 and is lightweight. What is your opinion of the brand.? I also saw a Poulan at Lowes for $99. I really don't think I will be doing alot of cutting with it. I will have to resize some of my wood and then I will be cutting pallets. And then, cutting down my neighbor's wood fence. It looks like dry wood. :)
A get together at my house would be fun. We could have classes on teaching me how to run my power tools. :) Then everybody could cut some trees down in a tree cutting contest....hahaha
Seriously, I am doing fine really. I have almost all the wood stacked and will remeasure. I think if I get some pallets I will be good for this winter. I am tired.... whew...glad I am not splitting by with an axe. I would be dead...

I looked at a Stihl chainsaw today. It is the least expensive at $179 and is lightweight. What is your opinion of the brand.? I also saw a Poulan at Lowes for $99. I really don't think I will be doing alot of cutting with it. I will have to resize some of my wood and then I will be cutting pallets. And then, cutting down my neighbor's wood fence. It looks like dry wood. :)
A get together at my house would be fun. We could have classes on teaching me how to run my power tools. :) Then everybody could cut some trees down in a tree cutting contest....hahaha
Seriously, I am doing fine really. I have almost all the wood stacked and will remeasure. I think if I get some pallets I will be good for this winter. I am tired.... whew...glad I am not splitting by with an axe. I would be dead...

Stihl is an excellent brand. Husqvarna is another excellent brand. Poulan is a 'homeowner' brand.
Obviously, Stihl makes some lower-end saws, but I think most people here would recommend you get the best saw you can possibly afford if you are planning on heating with wood. :)
Remember rule #1: If you buy cheap, you buy twice.
Also, rule #2: If you buy a good tool, you'll have it forever, because a good tool will always be worth fixing. :)
I would recommend you shy away from homeowner saws. Husqvarna divides their saws between homeowner, landowner and professional.
Obviously, the pro saws are overkill for you right now, (but who knows, you might get the bug ;) ).
I would shoot for a saw in the 'landowner' category. You will be happy with a good, strong saw. A lot of smaller homeowner saws are quite anemic and will lead to frustration. You're going to want something that will save you time and effort, so, again, get the strongest saw you can afford.

Stihl makes some exceptionally rugged and reliable equipment. Like Husqvarna, Stihl markets three categories of chainsaw, the Occasional Use series, the Mid-Range Use series and Professional Use series. I'm guessing that, at $179.oo, you're looking at one of the Occasional Use saws, something I would recommend against. The Occasional Use saws are just that, designed with a typical homeowner in mind, someone who trims a tree or cleans up a downed branch or two... someone who probably only starts his saw once or twice a year. Stepping up to a Mid-Range Use gets you a heavier-duty engine, air filtration system, anti-vibration system, etc. The Mid-Range Use saws are designed for the farmer, rancher and weekend-warrior wood burner/cutter... but they do cost more money. Even better are the Professional Use saws, but now you'll really need to dig deep when forking out the cash... But, Professional Use saws will take an amazing amount of constant hard use and abuse without so much as a hick-up.

Really, for someone who only cuts 3-4-5 cords of firewood a year, the Mid-Range Use saws are more than enough... but the Occasional Use saws probably won't last.

Butterfly,
Spike 60 is in your area, and is one of the Gems of this place as well as the chainsaw world.
If you need a saw, ask him. He's one of the few remaining real saw shop dealers.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a saw at one of the box stores, sears, or WallMart.
You're gonna need the support and advice of a good dealer. Brand is less important than dealer support, but poulan these days are junky and problematic.

Call the firewood dealer up, and let them know you don't appreciate getting shorted, the over length stuff, and the Pine.
It is NOT what you agreed to buy, and if they do not make things right, you will let the world know they are selling trash and ripping people off.

The GTG sounds like a hoot! Odds are the guys can be talked into bringing some of thier smaller saws and let you run them, to get an idea of what you would most be interested in. Maybe even get ya addicted to cutting for time.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back