Lafont log splitter help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capetree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a lafont ss log splitter. It has a the original single lever valve. I am looking for the part numbers that are stamped in the manifold that holds the 2 cartriges. Mine is made by Sun Hydraulics and some of the numbers got damaged from scraches over the years.

Going to be tough to find any info on the lafont, I searched high and low when I got mine and came up with very little. Good luck though, maybe someone out there has an original unit that can help!

Ya that's what I was hopping. All the sun parts are stamped. I do have the original owners manual thats full of useless numbers. If all else fails I will send part out to sun distributer to get part.

Well I sent part to Sun Hydraulics dealer and week later got 2 new cartriges and mainafold. Now to fix oil leak in valve. So far I found out valve is gresen V20 all parts are available. Got 10 new links and handle on order for back up. Hopefully by weeks end I will have all parts on order. This will be the end of repair on this machine for sometime.
Considering we have owned this machine since 1982 its served us well. During thw 80's it ran 5-6 days a week. Next winter project will be to fix log trays since they are welded in place

2012- valve &hydraulic system ovehaul
2011- pump rebuild (should of spent money to have sections measured to get flow and psi)
2009- cylinder rebuilt, end rewelded, new rod and seals
2005- nw onan 24hp

valve operation

[video=youtube;QarEmnL9XqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarEmnL9XqE&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Lafonte back in the day made the top of the line hydraulic splitter . Now they're called multitek and make the top of the line firewood processors , plant is just down the road from me . The original owners are a great bunch of guys

233710d1334499824-lafonte-jpg

Thats a nice looking splitter. Is it stock or did yo modify it? :msp_smile:

Lafonte back in the day made the top of the line hydraulic splitter . Now they're called multitek and make the top of the line firewood processors , plant is just down the road from me . The original owners are a great bunch of guys
r

Ive herd Multitek used to be lafont but I called them not to long ago and was told lafont just went out of business in the 80's. I was looking for information on valve but got help from Parker Hydraulics whick bought out Gresen in 1991.

233710d1334499824-lafonte-jpg

Thats a nice looking splitter. Is it stock or did yo modify it? :msp_smile:

The machine has had a few mods throught out the years.

-factory gas metal gas tank was replaced with marine type tank with closeable vent
-log tray were weld in place (they use to have spring and slid up and down wiht weight on them
-factory kohler was replaces with 24hp onan
-tray on end was added to sort crumbs

I do have 1,4,5 way wedges for it. All are original except for top wedge of 4 way that got ripped off and replaced.

I tried to clean out high pressure hydraulic filter and it broke. It was replaced with 2 low pressure return filters for time being. It didnt come with filters on either side of valve.

Pics of my La Font SS500

Here are some pics of my La Font SS500 splitter. Im trying to figure out where all the hoses go . I have a 10 hp briggs and stratton eng for it. It might be a little slow but its all i have .

La Font log splitter

1/7/13
I have an original SS-500 La Font Log splitter needing a variety of parts
and can't locate. If anyone could direct me to where I might be able to
get parts, I'd really appreciate it! You can reach me at [email protected]
Glen

1/7/13
I have an original SS-500 La Font Log splitter needing a variety of parts
and can't locate. If anyone could direct me to where I might be able to
get parts, I'd really appreciate it! You can reach me at [email protected]
Glen

Glen what parts are you looking for? The valve is gresen (now owned by parker). The cartrages are sun hydraulic parts. The cylinder and pump can be rebuilt by any hydraulic shop. Let me know what your looking for and Ill see if I have any part numbers for you.

Dennis

A catolog of parts? I have the the manuals that came with splitter in 1978. Unfortunitly the lafont part numbers are useless since there out of business. I would be very interested in seeing this. Ive been keeping track of the parts I bought so I have part #'s to refference in future. The worst was the link that hold handle to valve. I made my own for a year before I got the right one. I did order 12 of them since they last about a year or so (30+/-cords)

Dennis

Latest posts

Back