Log Arch/Forklift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRESTLINE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
nk14zp requested in another thread he wanted to see more pics of our log arch/forklift so I'm posting them on this new thread. My son and myself constructed this arch out of mostly scrap metal my dad had collected over the years. It started out as just an arch to move logs about 1/2 mile from my daughter and son-in-laws property, where they were putting their house, to my house. It worked great for this purpose. After we got all the logs moved we needed a way to get the logs to the saw mill, that's when the idea came up for the forks. It all works great and can be easily transformed form arch to lift and visa-versa back to arch in about 5 minutes. 1192.jpg 1193.jpg 1194.jpg

Crestline, beautiful job, especially for being built from scrap! If you weren't a top-notch welder before, I bet you are now. I see mostly how it works, but I'm just puzzled by what appears to be an iron rod and a a cable that run the length of the arch/lift. Lights are a nice touch. Are they magnetic mount? Nice open area to work in, and it looks like you have enough logs to last you a long time! Thanks for posting.

The cable you referred to is what controls the tilt of the forks. The original design (shown in the pics) used a porta-power pump and a pull back cylinder. It worked good but was slow. We now have a 2500 lb winch for this purpose which works a lot better because it gives much more tilt and is a lot faster.

That's awesome, the forks even tilt, what a great way to move logs around. Have you used it much with an ATV?
I have a Minneapolis Moline yard tractor/mower that you can see in the first pic that I use. We have a ball hitch on the front of the tractor which makes it easy to guide in tight places. We also have remote switches on the tractor so the winches can be operated from the driver seat.

Very nice. Any chance you could post a video of using both as a fork and as an arch?

x2 - Would love to see it in action. :popcorn: BTW, I am envious of your FLAT ground in background. :D Looks like you have a several nice sticks to saw up as well!!

Wow! Thank you for posting the video. It is amazing that you can do all that with the little MM. I bet you had an Erector Set when you were a kid!

That is bad to the bone... Great Job. Can you make me one that will hook to the ol ladys push mower?? lol. I love it.

Thanks for posting this. That's gotta be one of the best arches I've seen.

It is amazing that you can do all that with the little MM.

Just proves that a person doesn't need big $$$ for support equipment, just some ingenuity. Well thought out log/lumber handling tool. :clap:

That is actually an old baseball park, but works very well as a log yard!!

Yeah, the video REALLY made me jealous of your flat ground! :D

Back