Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydodgegeek

The stool maker
Reaction score
I wont say I know at what im doing thats why I am starting this thread. I am hoping to get some pointers from some of you that have built race chains with some sucess. I know that a few of the saws I own are pretty snappy and can get thru a piece of wood quick but it seems I am at a disadvantage when I am racing and my opponent is using a modified chain. So here I am, I wanna try my hands at modding a chain. I just got in from the shop playing with my 511ax grinder and a 20" loop of Stihl chain. I took a few pictures of it with my phone and will post them shortly. Please tell me what I am doing wrong or right. Thanks ahead of time for your help. I am sure I have a long ways to go but tell me if I am on the right track. I plan on using this chain on my Tree monkeyed 064 and 440 and my ECsaws 460, if it works well I am going to make another chain for my Stump broke Dolkita. Pictures coming shortly.

aefef2f8-19d2-9d74.jpg
aefef2f8-19ef-ab92.jpg
aefef2f8-1a11-439b.jpg

You will never compete using a round grinder against those square ground race chains. Sorry, but that's just the facts of the design limitations. Square chain is just more efficient.

I did know that the square ground is better but untill I learn to grind them I am stuck with round ground. Can I make my round ground better by doing what im doing or am I wasting my time and chain?

I have been told to grind the leading edge of the raker and get rid of the big hump that sticks out in front of it. I also was told to grind the back side of the cutter and to more or less sharpen the back side. This is what I have done so far. I am going to file down the gullet some tommorrow.

Yes, I just used the grinder to getme started. Then I got soar sitting at it and came in, and I figured I would start this thread and ask for Ideas.

This is my best effort to date. It's a .325 chain that I run on my 346. It is square ground with a Silvey Razor Sharp. There's MUCH more that can be done to one. There is no cutter thinning done to this chain, no filing, and no stoning. I'm working on a new chain now, but it's in a gazillion pieces!

754170465_gQDVU-M.jpg

754170499_eRS5K-M.jpg

Last edited:
This is my best effort to date. It's a .325 chain that I run on my 346. It is square ground with a Silvey Razor Sharp. There's MUCH more that can be done to one. There is no cutter thinning done to this chain, no filing, and no stoning.

754170465_gQDVU-M.jpg

754170499_eRS5K-M.jpg

There is many hours in that chain, it looks like it was completely tore down.

I figure I would take the rakers down some more, will be used in soft wood. As far as my chain just looking like a sharpened chain, cant you see how much I have removed from the back side of the cutter and front of the raker. Quite a bit of material removed. I dont have a silvey and dont have access to one, I am just working with what I got. I am just looking for pointers here.

Latest posts

Back