Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so,, would you say the shape of the stone is critical?

If the profile is wrong as the wheel passes by the cutter the wrong parts get sharpened in the wrong places.

ADG would be better off using a 7/32" file and hogging out the cutter while getting way into the tie straps then pursueing the current grinder set up. After he has hogged it out with that file he could go back in and actually put the edge on with a 13/64 file to create the fine wire edge of the hollow ground top plate.

Edge will not last long but it be faster then were the chain is now. Keep going on the back of the cutter and take the depth gauge down from inside the gullet.

ADG has a round grinder and round files, he has also asked about a filing guide for square filing.

Other than the ATop guide I am unaware of any filing guide for square filing. No comment on the ATop.

Last edited:
If it was me and u wanted to making a really good race chain...I'd see if u could con cliff helsel into selling one of his. From everyone I've talked to he builds about the meanest racing chain. You have to acknowledge that they have sometimes upwards of 40 hours into a single chain...so its not something your going to hit with your square/round grinder and swipe it a couple of times with your file and your be able to compete.

There are a ton of variables into making competition race chains including all of the variables included in the wood your going to be racing in.

If the profile is wrong as the wheel passes by the cutter the wrong parts get sharpened in the wrong places.

ADG would be better off using a 7/32" file and hogging out the cutter while getting way into the tie straps then pursueing the current grinder set up. After he has hogged it out with that file he could go back in and actually put the edge on with a 13/64 file to create the fine wire edge of the hollow ground top plate.

Edge will not last long but it be faster then were the chain is now.

ADG has a round grinder and round files, he has also asked about a filing guide for square filing.

Other than the ATop guide I am unaware of any filing guide for square filing. No comment on the ATop.

This will hold a square file.....

attachment.php

This will hold a square file.....

attachment.php

I have read about people using those and if it is working for them that is good. I have never seen it used in such a way or seen the results over the length of chain. I do not like those guides for sharpening round so I probably would not like them for square but I suppose it would be worth a try.

Certainly could not be any worse than my in the woods square file touch ups. Take more extra chains, take more extra chains, take more extra chains, take more extra chains.....

Last edited:
I have one of those clip on type file swingers.
If you are patient, use a *gentle* touch and a *fresh* file,
it's actually pretty good for getting everything back to the same shape
after those quick, freehand touch ups have begun to drift a little bit too uneven.

But I'm only speaking of a chain for "routine" stuff, Not a race rig.

Last edited:
There was a chain build that happened a couple months back. The winning chain was ground on a razor sharp II. A nice hand filed chain is probably better but for the time in it a machine works good.

Go too low with the rakers, and you'll make it jumpy, ruining a good chain. A good chain is smooth in the cut and self feeds itself, requiring very little if any pressure. I like to grind my chains, then touch them up with a file in a Granburg File-N-Joint. I then use an Oregon progressive depth guage. I find that the File-O-Plate sets my rakers too deep, at least on Stihl RSC chain.

I've found that the File-N-Joint works great, very precisely, with setting the depth gauges. Just swap the round file for a fine flat file. Set crosswise angle to 0 deg. Find the cutter height with the flat file, then crank down the height setting .025-.030" below, or whatever works best for you. Kiss 'em all. Round the gauges' fronts a/r. Done in no time.

Others searching info might search for "Granberg." HTH

All the square chain off the reel is faster than off the reel round. I haven't found any off the reel that's faster than hand filed round or ground square. I grind all brand new chain on my razor sharp before i use it.

Went out and got some quick snaps of my last run chain, saw's been sitting for a while.
It's round file work, but I still like my teeth aggressive.
edges aren't beat over or rocked, just dust and critter hair and shaky hands make it look that way.

:confused::msp_confused::confused
Ok what is the stihl equivalent for the oregon chain specified? I have always used the the yellow stihl chains and have just taken them over to my buddies to get them sharpened on his oregon 511 grinder. Also what file guides do you guys use for your round and square chains. I saw i think it was mastermind put a pic up of a guide that holds a square file. Please don't stone me on this. They may be stupid questions but just trying to learn. Also its been a long day and extremely long week for me so plz bare with me.

Last edited:
Off the real RS is OK. I haven't seen any Oregon off the real that was good for anything other than cutting room temp butter.

I don't like any new off the roll chain. I like to grind it and clean the gullet out to the extreme. Then hit the rakers a swipe or two and then its ready for using.

You can get a much faster cutting chain and still get 3-4 tanks of cutting done before it needs touched up.

I don't like any new off the roll chain. I like to grind it and clean the gullet out to the extreme. Then hit the rakers a swipe or two and then its ready for using.

You can get a much faster cutting chain and still get 3-4 tanks of cutting done before it needs touched up.

I agree. I have found the depth gauges to be especially inconsistent on both brands.

:confused::msp_confused::confused
Ok what is the stihl equivalent for the oregon chain specified?

People like what people like. I like Oregon or Stihl, which ever is the best deal of the day.

I have always used the the yellow stihl chains and have just taken them over to my buddies to get them sharpened on his oregon 511 grinder. Also what file guides do you guys use for your round and square chains.

I use the Pferd ChainSharp file guides for round files and sometimes the various File-O-Plates, mostly freehand if I am filing and not grinding. Square file chisel for me is all freehand so far.

I saw i think it was mastermind put a pic up of a guide that holds a square file. Please don't stone me on this. They may be stupid questions but just trying to learn. Also its been a long day and extremely long week for me so plz bare with me.

The guide that is in the photo is for round files but some have used it with one of the types of square files. I have not but have that guide and that type of file so I suppose it is time to give it a try.

Last edited:
This is not a racechain by any means, but it cuts good enough for the last gtg we had.

I can not square file free handed for crap so I cheat using a ATOP guide. All I did is hit the cutters and rakers. Didnt feel the need to hit the back of cutters etc on a gtg chain.

310mufflermod006.jpg

Latest posts

Back