Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies, I was tired and went to bed. I will post some pics later today of how my round chain is progressing. As soon as I can convince Sarah that I NEED to spend X amount of dollars on new chains and files I will be making an order.

Skip the goofy file and get the double bevel. You won't learn till you practice,practice,practice. Same as getting round filing down, it takes time.

Get a few chains, you are going to #### the first one up.

My first looked like hell but still cut faster than round.

Thanks for all the replies, I was tired and went to bed. I will post some pics later today of how my round chain is progressing. As soon as I can convince Sarah that I NEED to spend X amount of dollars on new chains and files I will be making an order.

Might I suggest something along these lines.

big-bang-theory-flash-costumes_2.png

Before anyone laughs, dont knock it before you try it.:msp_thumbup:

I am looking forward to seeing your success with the chains Andy. This is pretty cool.:msp_thumbup:

Yep. That's me running the bikesaw in the pic below. The same coastal Oregon hotsaw guy built and owns the saw, which is powered by a 500cc Honda bike engine, as I recall. That's a 32" Douglas-Fir log that it dropped through in what seemed like 5 seconds or so in my unskilled hands, wearing a "practice" chain. It's done better, by far, in other hands, wearing better chains.

250505_1773305096856_1366150122_31515919_2142160_n.jpg

I like the falcon. How old is that photo?

Later
Dan

Skip the goofy file and get the double bevel. You won't learn till you practice,practice,practice. Same as getting round filing down, it takes time.

Get a few chains, you are going to #### the first one up.

My first looked like hell but still cut faster than round.
I've used a goofy for touch ups especially for the 1st year. The thing is, the round edge cut a different groove in the side plate and makes the double bevel grabby and hard to control when I tried to get a good square corner back on it.
Still a goofy is handy to have, in a pinch i have used em on semi and low profiles and for narrowing rakers.

I agree a goofy has it's place.

He is going to buy a square ground chain, nothing better than to get the file that matches that profile.

I agree a goofy has it's place.

He is going to buy a square ground chain, nothing better than to get the file that matches that profile.
Yep, and the save edge fits pretty good on the CL. Don't know bout the square stihl but the dealer can can order one that should. prob have to order the chain too unless yer out west.

This is my best effort to date. It's a .325 chain that I run on my 346. It is square ground with a Silvey Razor Sharp. There's MUCH more that can be done to one. There is no cutter thinning done to this chain, no filing, and no stoning. I'm working on a new chain now, but it's in a gazillion pieces!

754170465_gQDVU-M.jpg

754170499_eRS5K-M.jpg

Not bad. Not sure you need to dish out the tie straps quite that much, though. I was given some good race chain from Big Dave about five years back. That stuff was fast, and while the top and side of the tie straps were clearanced, they were not dished out.

For OP: I did find that cleaning up the back of the cutter - grinding it away at about a 45* angle - sped up sharp round-ground pretty well, all other things equal. Likewise, starting from a well-used chain with a shorter cutter helped, also. And in the interest of saving time on filing, keep your race chains to 16" max. 20" is unnecessary for cutting cants, and just means more cutters to deal with.

If I knew you would only use my chain in a clean cant I could loan my 72dl chain in my pic. It has been loaned and used in 2 stock saw races at real shows and has took 1st both times on a stock 3120 in unlimited class.

Be warned it is not the fastest chain out there. In a chain build it was only 4th fastest.

If I knew you would only use my chain in a clean cant I could loan my 72dl chain in my pic. It has been loaned and used in 2 stock saw races at real shows and has took 1st both times on a stock 3120 in unlimited class.

Be warned it is not the fastest chain out there. In a chain build it was only 4th fastest.

If he doesnt take you up on it, I would be interested. I have some fence posts to rip... But dont worry, they are clean and I dont think there are any nails in them!

If he doesnt take you up on it, I would be interested. I have some fence posts to rip... But dont worry, they are clean and I dont think there are any nails in them!

Run on over.

I got a 3ci chain I was making and think I am going to use it in some nasty black walnut. :msp_tongue: Just got ticked after hitting 3 cutters after I did them all and thought to myself why am I even doing this. :dizzy::msp_rolleyes:

I didn't get to run my chain yet again. I was out on the pontoon all day. Me my wife and brother, caught a lot if fish. Probably 30+ northerns, a few bass, and 1 walleye. Anyways I did snag a few photos of my chain and will attempt to post them, this tapatalk is new to me

Last edited:
We are experiencing technical dificulties....The last post had two of the same picture, I am not that uniform in my filing. I am not having much luck with this tapatalk on my phone. I neep to learn to do square ground and tapatalk.

Latest posts

Back