Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bit the bullet today...I ordered a couple of square ground oregon chains and some save edge files from Baileys. I figure why not take advantage of the $4.99 shipping promo they have going on. I am not giving up on my round ground, I still will have to figure out how to sharpen this square stuff. I am having a GTG at my house on Sept. 22, maybe I can get one of the fellas that knows how to sharpen these things give me and others some edjamakaytion on them, (Tree monkey, Grandpa tractor).

ADG, here is an easy to make round filed cutter. Use the 5/32" round file like a square file in two steps.

1. On the lower half of the side plate get the file positioned so the handle is as close to the chain as possible and as low next to straps as possible take a couple of passes.

2. Using a similar technique to square filing put the file into the corner at an angle that hits the tie straps and as you are pushing the file forward, twist it out past the length of the top plate. The goal is a thin working edge in the corner and a thin side and top plate.

The cutter in the photo was a poorly shaped freshly round ground beater chain.

4 passes in each step with the 5/16" round file and it is into shape and the cutter in the photo is a mild shape. That is maybe a couple minutes worth of effort, takes me longer to look at the cutter than it does to make the edge. The cutter is fast, but it will not last. If you can find some nice 1/8" files even better. It sounds way harder than it is and it produces a fast chain, it is as close to square as I can get a chain without a square file.

Enjoy the new square chains and files. Truely can make using a saw more enjoyable.

Last edited:
As soon as my square chain arrives I will run it on the same saw in the same poplar can't and post some times. I will try to reshape my raker and thin my cutter and retime on my round ground.

As soon as my square chain arrives I will run it on the same saw in the same poplar can't and post some times. I will try to reshape my raker and thin my cutter and retime on my round ground.

Out of the box square is pretty slow Andy. . . You'll want to file it.

As far as not giving up on round -- wait until you run square for a while. :msp_wink:

As far as not giving up on round -- wait until you run square for a while. :msp_wink:

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I hope I can figure out the filing of it, heard a lot of people say its difficult. I am not afraid, I will give it my best.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I hope I can figure out the filing of it, heard a lot of people say its difficult. I am not afraid, I will give it my best.

I'm pards with an old mossback logger that cut his puppy teeth on square, and didn't pick up a round file until many years later.

It's not that it's 'hard' to do, it's just different angles than you are used to, and you have to watch the corner really close so you don't cut in a beak.

I messed up a few chains back when I first tried it, probably 14 years ago now. That was with the old timer at the Husky shop showing me the basics.

You've been getting good advice, including getting chisel-ground chain and a file. If you can put in the time, I'd suggest learning to chisel file your work chains (including new ones, as Metals said), and it will teach you a lot about filing a race chain. I've been chisel filing all my chains for over 30 yrs., and I'm still learning. When someone wants me to teach him how, I tell him it's like learning a different language; I'm pretty fluent in English, my first language, pero esto es una cosa muy diferente . . .

ADG, here is an easy to make round filed cutter.

This is a good trick for transitioning from round to square. You might try a "goofy" file as well -- it approximates a square grind more closely and is easier to hold.

Out of the box square is pretty slow Andy. . . You'll want to file it

Too true. Even if all you do is touch up the rakers, you'll see a difference.

When I arrived home from work today, I noticed Andy's car was parked outside of the garage, his lunch pail tossed on the truck, some work he brought home strewn on the sidewalk, and the door to the house still locked... Hmmm. What's this I hear coming from the garage? he's out there working on this race chain like a mad scientist!! :msp_scared:

attachment.php

Here's a video I made of square filing. I just did a few cutters to show how I do it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JZMuqKxwc60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Andy gonna be the go too chain guy that's for sure. Practice makes perfect but persistance leads to excellence. Keep up the good work I'm learning a lot about chains. My little 180 is scary fast as of yesterday. I had to put it down.

Andy, you can use a regular flat file to make that top plate better, you just have to be careful with the side plate.

Treemonkey'd 440 round 2

I was just out video'ing Andy to compare the stock vs his 1st draft of the race chain. Here are the times from the stopwatch, averaging 2 records.

Stock chain Treemonkey'd 440: 3.3s
Race chain Treemonkey'd 440: 2.5s
Stock chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.8s
Race chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.2s

Noticeable difference, as I'm sure you'll be able to see by the videos in the next couple of posts...

Here is a video of the chain on the 440 after tonights grinding session. I thinned the rakers and reshaped them, also thinned the top and side plates of the cutters. I did not get a chance to resharpen the tooth. I figured I would just run it again to see what I did. A slight bit better time, we got 2.4 versus the prior run at 2.5. Pretty minimal but like I said I didnt resharpen. I wasn't going to even post this but I am using this thread to keep notes for myself. Thanks to all for the advise and compliments/criticism. If I have time I plan on resharpening and running it again tommorrow.

LINK:IMG 1782 - YouTube

[video=youtube;veBL8OWxTCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=veBL8OWxTCY[/video]

Andy, you can use a regular flat file to make that top plate better, you just have to be careful with the side plate.

Yeah I will have to try and clean it up in there. I used a dremel with a small grinding disc to get in there, it didnt turn out great but I tried it. I will go back in there with a flat file and see if I can smooth it out. I have to sharpen the cutter also.

Latest posts

Back