Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give the cutter more hook. Square isn't too bad to learn if you take the time to learn and work at it.

I did read Tree monkeys post, he said to use a 3/16 file to get more hook. Maybe I will give that a try tommorrow. I will make a few timed cuts with it as is and see what happens. I want to get some smaller files so I can thin the chain from under the top and side plates. Would I want to use a round file up in there or a flat file?

I clean the gullets with a 3/16" since its the smallest files i had laying around.

I gave each tooth 10 strokes with a 7/32 file. Will I get more hook with a 13/64?

Yes, the key will be to keep it at the right height in the cutter. Your pictures when compared to the photos of the square profiles should give you a fairly clear idea where the speed is in square versus round shape. The cutting edges of the round are fat and shallow that equals drag but also allows then to take a beating as the cutting edge is well supprted. Square is thin and steep, best I can come up with at 4am.

Night and day difference between your first photos of the ground cutters and what you did with the file, keep on filing, looks much better already.

Checking in with a progress report...

I was just out video'ing Andy to compare the stock vs his 1st draft of the race chain. Here are the times from the stopwatch, averaging 2 records.

Stock chain Treemonkey'd 440: 3.3s
Race chain Treemonkey'd 440: 2.5s
Stock chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.8s
Race chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.2s

Noticeable difference, as I'm sure you'll be able to see by the videos in the next couple of posts...

Looking good. :cheers: Now you need a loop of square to see how it compares.

Here's a chain I've been working on. It was originally round ground, I've square filed it once but it needs some more filing. The .325 chain makes it more difficult to get the right angle without some hogging out of the gullet and tie strap. I'm using irregular hexagon files. This chain, as-is, is significantly faster than stock round chain, I don't have numbers yet. I run it on a 44cc, and it's fast ;)

251352d1346705959-001-jpg

251353d1346705964-002-jpg

251354d1346705970-003-jpg

Last edited:
What I have problems with on .325 is not so much getting into the tie straps as much as it is the D/L. Not that the tie strap don't get rubbed on too, just that the drive link can't be filed on much without weaking it big time. About half life is where it gets close, when the cutter is longer or shorter you have more wiggle room.

use the smaller of the two and come down into the tooth a little deeper, it looks like you filing to high up. The gullet looks good, the raker needs to be thinner and shorter in front to back length

Andy, all that work would be a shame to see someone beat you with an average square chain. You should try some!

I am still wondering what kind of file to use to get up under cutter to thin top and side. I read Tree monkeys post saying to use an 1/8th inch file, I am assuming he is referring to a round file but I dont know for sure. I dont have a file that small. Also wondering exactly what people are doing to thin their rivets. I read Brad Snelling sayin putting your chain on backwards and spinning it with the saw and stoning it...even backwards it sounds deadly to me. Just asking for other options. I though I could take my 90degree grinder with a 2" abrasive disc and just hit each one a bit, Hows that sound? So far I am excited to see it is cutting faster than stock and I am anxious to do more to it...Its kind of fun.

Back