ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Massey ferguson 3165

Discussion in 'Farming and Gardening Forum' started by Diy mechanic mike, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Diy mechanic mike

Diy mechanic mike ArboristSite Operative

So I have a mf 3165 (industrial 165) tractor. Been having some troubles with odds and ends here and there but I'm at a big deal right now.... my front right axle spindle is bent I think because I cant get it out of axle I have steering linkage off and it dropped about 1in and then used a punch and hammer to give help and now the spindles pivot rod is flush with top of axle bushing but will not go any further with hammer and punch. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to drop the front axle and press the spindle out and get replacement... has anyone had this issue with other similar Massey Ferguson tractors ? And if so am I going about this correct ? My manuals on this dont go into much detail on this subject.
    Thanks mike

2. diezelsmoke

diezelsmoke ArboristSite Operative

My guess is paint and or rust is trying to get through the bearing and or bushing. Return the spindle back to your starting position and take a wire brush and take the paint and or rust off. If it is rusted bad you may need to take a grinder and carefully remove the rust and or paint.

3. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

If it truly is bent, a dial indicator will show where so you will know the exact area to file, straighten or whatever. I'm kinda like diezel, my guess is that it's just rust or paint because I don't see how the area above the tube could get bent but anything is possible, especially with old equipment.

4. Diy mechanic mike

Diy mechanic mike ArboristSite Operative

Well the bad is I cant get it to go back up I put the wheel and everything back together and even lowered jack thinking the weight of tractor would push back in and notta, I guess I screwed the pooch trying to pound it out with a punch. but since its jacked up and I been staring at it a lot Haha cuz that's all I can do but the reason I think its bent is cuz the previous owner has re-welded the plate that stops the steering from going to far either way, that rim on that side has cracked by the lug hole and has been welded up and the same sides bucket tilt cylinder has been replaced with after market that's doesn't even bolt up correct.... so my assumption is that the old man got too close to this creek near his house btw I went to his house and bought it but he must have dropped the front right wheel down a decent bit and the loader saved him but cylinder and all other stuff was callateral damage but fixable and the hidden part that he probably didn't know was broke/bent is the spindle pivot shaft, in this said fall cuz to my knowledge this is what happened or something very similar... I feel like a tractor coroner lol but it's all I got haha