We’ll I got my tractor today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you adjust the box blade right with the lift it should take the top off the high spots and drop dirt in the low spots. I always load the box blade up with dirt first then adjust the box blade to ride ground level and it will do a good job of ,leveling.

On the backhoe remember, load your front bucket up with a load of dirt for front weight, it helps hold down the front end when digging with the backhoe. Also the ground is your friend, when digging with your digger things like tree roots if you keep the digger on the ground and slide the bucket under the root and curl the digger to dislodge or cut the root, the ground under the root acts as a fulcrum and takes the pressure off trying to dislodge or cut the root by lifting. You can use this the same way when digging, dip, curl, then lift.

I have a big backhoe where you can rip a longer line when starting a dig, with a small backhoe don't get to aggressive to start with.

Thanks for the advise on the box blade guys. I probly won’t use that till it warms up a bit as the ground is still hard.

I got some good work done today with it. The backhoe gets some getting used to that’s for sure. I should take pics of my progress. I used the backhoe and cleared out some small stumps and cleaned up a bunch of rotted rounds I never got to splitting. There covered with vines and brush at this point. I’m going to clear the property line of all that crap and cut the couple small trees down. I plan to stack wood along the line. Stacked wood will look a lot nice than an overgrown pile of crap. I ran low on diesel as the dealer only put in like half a tank. I went out and got 5 gallons but I gotta get some diesel cans. I’ll put that in tomorrow and get back at it.
I need to make some more room to put up a tent or something for my log splitter. Maybe I can make like a lean to off my storage box at some point. I don’t want a tent but it might be a good solution for now at least.

It's a good idea to put that new tractor under cover. If it was an older tractor you could leave it outside no problem but these new ones ain't water proof. Leave them out in the weather and you will have problems. With all the electronics and sensors on them weather will cause problems.

Also think about putting a 3rd function on that puppy that way you can put a grapple on it. You can check for prices on one you put on yourself. I just put a 3rd function kit on a 6500 mahindra today. Mahindra wanted $1600 bucks for one installed, I gave about $850 and it took about 3 hours to put it on, including pulling the console for wiring joystick.

We’ll I used it a couple hours or so today. I was getting the hang of it too. I was much more comfortable on it when I put it away for the day then when I started. Last thing I did was load up some old rotted out rounds I didn’t get to splitting into my truck. Last bucket I either curled it too much or went the wrong way and over it came right into my brand new hood. There’s a nice sized reminder of my stupidity dented into my hood now. That didn’t take long….
Glad to see you got your tractor. I never understand why dealers sell tractors with loaders without hood guards. You either want to get one from them or make you own. I learned that probably thirty years ago with a JD 3010 and loader and a big round bale. Never have had a tractor and loader without a hood guard since. Got to do some body work on that old JD 3010.

It's a good idea to put that new tractor under cover. If it was an older tractor you could leave it outside no problem but these new ones ain't water proof. Leave them out in the weather and you will have problems. With all the electronics and sensors on them weather will cause problems.

Also think about putting a 3rd function on that puppy that way you can put a grapple on it. You can check for prices on one you put on yourself. I just put a 3rd function kit on a 6500 mahindra today. Mahindra wanted $1600 bucks for one installed, I gave about $850 and it took about 3 hours to put it on, including pulling the console for wiring joystick.
Oh it’s covered. I have it in my storage box. I had to boot out my log splitter to do it. The splitter is under a big tarp for now until I figure what I’m doing. I would like a grapple but I had to stop spending right now. I got forks for right now but the grapple might happen in the future.

Glad to see you got your tractor. I never understand why dealers sell tractors with loaders without hood guards. You either want to get one from them or make you own. I learned that probably thirty years ago with a JD 3010 and loader and a big round bale. Never have had a tractor and loader without a hood guard since. Got to do some body work on that old JD 3010.

didn’t know there were hood guards. The hood flips forward not sure if that changed anything. I would absolutely buy one of those. I may make a fence for the bucket too.

I shoulda took a pic from before I started. This is all old rounds I never got to splitting and they rotted out. They got covered by vines and thorns. I had to use the backhoe to break most of them free because they were frozen. There’s still more I can’t get out. I did clean it up a little more but dont have a pic. The back and fourth bringing the old crap over to the fire pit area messed the yard up pretty good. Part of the process I suppose.

those trees are coming down too but I wanna do that last.

Attachments

• 27BFF201-28FB-4B5A-8980-C5A12BBAAE77.jpeg
    27BFF201-28FB-4B5A-8980-C5A12BBAAE77.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 984B341B-5A2A-4B72-8980-AE2AD79D3F4B.jpeg
    984B341B-5A2A-4B72-8980-AE2AD79D3F4B.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 4E120552-F733-476E-BE39-416631EB11F9.jpeg
    4E120552-F733-476E-BE39-416631EB11F9.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
Also glad to see you got your tractor and are "digging in" ;)
Nice puppies...

Dig the trees and push them over first, harder to dig a stump.
+1 on using the weight of the full tree to fall the tree. I dig on side up, stacking the dirt and such on the other side, or if I have to dig a little all the way around, I stack it all on the falling side and push the tree onto the piled up trash, pops the roots clean.

I shoulda took a pic from before I started. This is all old rounds I never got to splitting and they rotted out. They got covered by vines and thorns. I had to use the backhoe to break most of them free because they were frozen. There’s still more I can’t get out. I did clean it up a little more but dont have a pic. The back and fourth bringing the old crap over to the fire pit area messed the yard up pretty good. Part of the process I suppose.

those trees are coming down too but I wanna do that last.
I think Id have burned it where it lay, then seed that area after a little grading.

Another HUGE vote for the 3rd function kit. The grapple works so well, and saves you so much time that you won't know how you functioned without it.

Latest posts

Back