We’ll I got my tractor today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We’ll after everything I decided to go with the subcompact. For my tiny stamp of land I think it will be perfect for my needs. I was looking at a yanmar 424 as well and I think I’ll get more out of the subcompact with a backhoe vs the compact without the backhoe. I didn’t get a chance to do much with it as it got dark really fast. I am a bit disappointed as my splitter and tractor will not fit in my storage box. So I’m not sure what I’m gonna do about that. I can get a small storage tent for the splitter and put the tractor in the box I suppose. Maybe tomorrow I can Tetris up something haha.

sorry I only have one pic so far but it’s a 2022 Massey Ferguson 1725mb. I went with turf tires as all my land is essentially lawn. I got it with pallet forks, backhoe thumb, 4’box blade. As well as the 5 year 650 dollar warranty cuse that made the mrs happy lol. I’m not a warranty buyer but she didn’t balk at the price of the tractor so I said ok. I didn’t tip it over yet!

Attachments

• CE189628-1E2D-476C-8FFC-E02416832A6A.jpeg
    CE189628-1E2D-476C-8FFC-E02416832A6A.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 19
Sweet.
Sometimes it is difficult to determine wants, needs, etc.
Interesting process...
Years ago a friend made choices, quit his job and cruised on a sailboat for a year.
He did that three times.
Early on he said, "You can do anything you want. You just can't do everything you want."
For most of us it's true.

Congrats!
Sure you will find out much you like and don't like about it real quick lol.
It has a hydraulic trans right?

yeah that’s the way it goes. I can be a pretty picky guy with machines but I gotta remember it’s a lot better than using my back! Yup hst.

yeah that’s the way it goes. I can be a pretty picky guy with machines but I gotta remember it’s a lot better than using my back! Yup hst.
It sure is, but you can only waver between the options so long, then you just have to choose and hope you made the right decision, then buy another one down the road :laugh:.
I find new ways to use the two I have on a normal basis.
This week the skidding winch was real handy to haul brush/large branches, thru and area that was too soft to drive thru. It saved me a lot of walking up a grade in 5-6" of snow, but not both ways like dad going to school ;).

We’ll I used it a couple hours or so today. I was getting the hang of it too. I was much more comfortable on it when I put it away for the day then when I started. Last thing I did was load up some old rotted out rounds I didn’t get to splitting into my truck. Last bucket I either curled it too much or went the wrong way and over it came right into my brand new hood. There’s a nice sized reminder of my stupidity dented into my hood now. That didn’t take long….

I drilled a hole near the end of one of my forks to mount a 2” ball to move my splitter around as needed. That worked out pretty well. I’m gonna make something for the bucket so I can attatch a hitch on the top. I just didn’t get around to it yet. I used a pallet at the end of my splitter table to stack the splits as they came off the splitter. I might put sides on the pallet so I can stack more wood without it falling off so I don’t have to stop as often. I can switch implements easily now after switching back and fourth between the bucket and forks a handful of times. Just working on getting all the muscle memory stuff I suppose. Hopefully I can use it more tomorrow and Monday. I still haven’t tried to dig anything up with the backhoe as of yet.

This April will mark EXACTLY 40 years that we have lived here,,
We have had to buy grass seed,, EVERY year that we have lived here,,
(My wife has kept track of that seed thing,,,)
SOMETHING needs dug up,, !! :happybanana:

jR4YFCl.jpg

Congrats on the purchase, was wondering if you had made a decision yet. Jealous as that is a sweet little tractor there and I'm sure you will get plenty of use out of it. Enjoy it!

We’ll I used it a couple hours or so today. I was getting the hang of it too. I was much more comfortable on it when I put it away for the day then when I started. Last thing I did was load up some old rotted out rounds I didn’t get to splitting into my truck. Last bucket I either curled it too much or went the wrong way and over it came right into my brand new hood. There’s a nice sized reminder of my stupidity dented into my hood now. That didn’t take long….

That's easy to do because the bucket tips back as you raise the loader. There's a lot to keep track of.

One thing to keep in mind is to not raise the loader any more than you have to and to lower it back down ASAP. Besides dropping stuff on the tractor, or on you, that's a lot of weight up high which can tip the tractor over. Especially a smaller tractor. I see a lot of videos on youtube with idiots driving with the bucket way up so they can see. Keep the bucket low and learn to see around the stuff in the bucket. Make double sure it's low if there's a load in it and you're not on level ground, or when going around a corner.

BTW you should have the ROPS up at all times and if the ROPS is up, the seat belt on. It'd be extra tragic to tip the tractor over and get pinned or crushed under the ROPS. I'll admit to not using the belt all the time but any time I'm doing anything that's not super safe it goes on.

That's easy to do because the bucket tips back as you raise the loader. There's a lot to keep track of.

One thing to keep in mind is to not raise the loader any more than you have to and to lower it back down ASAP. Besides dropping stuff on the tractor, or on you, that's a lot of weight up high which can tip the tractor over. Especially a smaller tractor. I see a lot of videos on youtube with idiots driving with the bucket way up so they can see. Keep the bucket low and learn to see around the stuff in the bucket. Make double sure it's low if there's a load in it and you're not on level ground, or when going around a corner.

BTW you should have the ROPS up at all times and if the ROPS is up, the seat belt on. It'd be extra tragic to tip the tractor over and get pinned or crushed under the ROPS. I'll admit to not using the belt all the time but any time I'm doing anything that's not super safe it goes on.

yes I’ve spent a lot of time on all kinds of different sized fork trucks over the years but this is the first time with a bucket. I felt pretty stupid after I dropped it in the hood.

I’ve been keeping the rops up but I have to swing it down to put it In My storage box. Honestly I haven’t messed with the seat belt I just didn’t even think about it. I got on and off the tractor a whole lotta times today.

This April will mark EXACTLY 40 years that we have lived here,,
We have had to buy grass seed,, EVERY year that we have lived here,,
(My wife has kept track of that seed thing,,,)
SOMETHING needs dug up,, !! :happybanana:

jR4YFCl.jpg

I have an ambitious drainage project inmind. That’s gonna mess up the grass really good. I’m gonna drying in some driveway material of some sort. Possibly regrind I’m not sure as of yet. I also have some stumps to dig out. I got some plans but my grass is gonna have a hard year. I got a box blade I wanna flatten the yard as well. My back yard is very bumpy and the grass isn’t very good in a lot of places. Me doing wood back there doesn’t help and driving the tractor on it sure isn’t gonna help.

yes I’ve spent a lot of time on all kinds of different sized fork trucks over the years but this is the first time with a bucket. I felt pretty stupid after I dropped it in the hood.

I’ve been keeping the rops up but I have to swing it down to put it In My storage box. Honestly I haven’t messed with the seat belt I just didn’t even think about it. I got on and off the tractor a whole lotta times today.
Just keep in mind if it does start to go over, hold on to the steering wheel and make damn sure you keep your feet on the pedals or on the floor. When I worked at the steel warehouse I had a worker from my group go outside to load a contractor with a forklift, and it tipped over. He stuck his foot out like on a bicycle, and it ended up being folded over and pinned under the forklift. Had to call EMS and get another forklift out there to get it up off of his leg. Luckily the leg broke and not the ankle. He was seat belted in...........

I have an ambitious drainage project inmind. That’s gonna mess up the grass really good. I’m gonna drying in some driveway material of some sort. Possibly regrind I’m not sure as of yet. I also have some stumps to dig out. I got some plans but my grass is gonna have a hard year. I got a box blade I wanna flatten the yard as well. My back yard is very bumpy and the grass isn’t very good in a lot of places. Me doing wood back there doesn’t help and driving the tractor on it sure isn’t gonna help.
One thing I found out with a smaller tractor and small dia tires is that if you are pulling a box blade it tends to load up and bog the machine down, making the tires dig holes. A 5' box blade covers the tires on my Kubota B7500 (20 hp) but with the utility tires once it starts to fill up it'll bog the machine down, even with a bucket of dirt for weight up front and the front axle locked for 4 wheel drive.

On the JD4720, ag tires give a whole bunch more traction than the ag tires do. BUT the ag tires put lots of dents in the grass.........

Latest posts

Back