Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to that link, (only read two pages of posts) hauling 'em all back for sure...

...don't know if it would be a good idea to grind on that thing right now until this recall gets sorted out..just sayin..no idea on the domestic USA saws.

Did anyone else see the picture below and think, "where they heck is the exhaust outlet?" Also I noticed that there is a slot in the top of the clutch cover almost like there should be a bow bar on this thing or a brake arm poping out of there. Lastly I noticed that there isn't any reflective heat tape under the muffler.

Just another 2 cents from the peanut gallery...

Well that sucks the computer ain't working right. Just do it and then show us videos. We don't need all the stuff in between to get us all excited for days.:chainsaw:

It's back in the box......between this crappy computer (the one I normally use in the shop took a dump) and the site acting weird I ain't doing any thread. Sorry.

I'll ask the owner about the recall. Stihl never tells anyone a damn thing.

He might have trouble getting a straight answer from Stihl. They sold a few here and then quit selling them altogether. I deal with two very good and knowledgeable saw shops, real saw shops, and they're scratching their heads too. The answers as to why are all over the board, everything from needing to sell the last of the 660s or unspecified problems with the AV to you name it, which tells me that Stihl isn't giving out a lot of information to their dealers either.

All I know, and all I can say, is that the 661 got the crap ran out of it in field tests by loggers for quite a while. It was run hard, abused even, with the purpose of looking for weak spots in the design. It looked like a good saw from the start and I can't imagine any late appearing defect serious enough to cause a recall.

If I had to believe anything, and I'm not saying it's the actual cause, I'd say it's probably a lot of unsold 660 inventory that's causing the hangup. Our local prices on 661s aren't much different from the 660s but I think that's about to change.

They may not want to get stuck on a few hundred 660s once people figure out the saw isn't a turd.

Talked to my stihl dealer yesterday about the 661. He said he just got back from a stihl class/workshop and he got to run a 661. They also had a 660 to run side by side with the 661 and he said it was nice. The only thing he commented on was how smooth the 661 was compared to the 660. He was not sure when it would be available. He is looking into it.

Just thought it would share.

Did anyone else see the picture below and think, "where they heck is the exhaust outlet?" Also I noticed that there is a slot in the top of the clutch cover almost like there should be a bow bar on this thing or a brake arm poping out of there. Lastly I noticed that there isn't any reflective heat tape under the muffler.

Just another 2 cents from the peanut gallery...

...back at Schteel intergalactic HQ..

"Yo, Hans, ver ist der muffler openzing mit der nue zix zixty einz"?

"I am tinking dis vas Dieterz job.."

"@@#$%^&^&#!!, mach schnell, issue zee recall"!!!

I really like how the oiler adjustment graphic goes from a little to E to HOLY CRAP!

He might have trouble getting a straight answer from Stihl. They sold a few here and then quit selling them altogether. I deal with two very good and knowledgeable saw shops, real saw shops, and they're scratching their heads too. The answers as to why are all over the board, everything from needing to sell the last of the 660s or unspecified problems with the AV to you name it, which tells me that Stihl isn't giving out a lot of information to their dealers either.

All I know, and all I can say, is that the 661 got the crap ran out of it in field tests by loggers for quite a while. It was run hard, abused even, with the purpose of looking for weak spots in the design. It looked like a good saw from the start and I can't imagine any late appearing defect serious enough to cause a recall.

If I had to believe anything, and I'm not saying it's the actual cause, I'd say it's probably a lot of unsold 660 inventory that's causing the hangup. Our local prices on 661s aren't much different from the 660s but I think that's about to change.
One dealer in the thread I linked commented that there are supposed to have been problems with the cylinder plating and with the ignition module.

Never any guarantees. The companies test, send out units to get used hard, and in the end there still may be major issues show up after the unit has been on the street awhile. That just happened with a pretty simple piece of equipment, but pricey. We are talking hundreds of thousands per. Factory testing went fine, a few test machines out, then sold a few hundred units. Went to move into a new marketing area over a year later and the first one to hit the area had a serious glitch. Notified the manufacturer on the other side of the world. They had no problem duplicating the issue. Every blessed unit has it! Years of R&D, a comparatively high number of them in daily use, as soon as a new set of hands started to test it a little bit, major issue.

Every manufacturer knows that despite their best efforts the real testing occurs out in the real world in the hands of real users. I think they all hold their breath awhile when anything new comes out.

Sure disappointed in this thread myself. I was ready to kickback and read another outstanding mastermind thread. Where is that thumb down button, that'll fix him! :);):)

Hu

It should save a draft Randy. Will show up if you reload the thread as light gray letters. At least that's how it works on that other place I hang out.
It do sent always!! Trust me I know I have lost a half dozen posts over there some with multiple pictures. No reloading, going back or forward will do it.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back