Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He might have trouble getting a straight answer from Stihl. They sold a few here and then quit selling them altogether. I deal with two very good and knowledgeable saw shops, real saw shops, and they're scratching their heads too. The answers as to why are all over the board, everything from needing to sell the last of the 660s or unspecified problems with the AV to you name it, which tells me that Stihl isn't giving out a lot of information to their dealers either.

All I know, and all I can say, is that the 661 got the crap ran out of it in field tests by loggers for quite a while. It was run hard, abused even, with the purpose of looking for weak spots in the design. It looked like a good saw from the start and I can't imagine any late appearing defect serious enough to cause a recall.

If I had to believe anything, and I'm not saying it's the actual cause, I'd say it's probably a lot of unsold 660 inventory that's causing the hangup. Our local prices on 661s aren't much different from the 660s but I think that's about to change.

I got the same from my long-term friend/dealer in Turlock :( and...he's good friends with the Stihl rep for Cali.

I had the option of returning my 661 for a replacement or refund, or just run it. Dealer is a personal friend and has given me his word essentially for the life of the saw he will take care of anything down the road should there arise a problem. Since I don't cut more than a few cords a year. That's what I call a great Dealer.
I opted to keep the saw and see how things go. One way to tell what is wrong....wait until it breaks.
The proto types that were out here this passed summer passed with flying colors in logger's hands for months. So why now the problem? Don't know.

What little I have run the 661 it is everything and more than you see and have heard in all good ways. Way Smooth is an understatement.

Subscribed...
If I had the extra cash and could justify the cost to the misses I'd love to have one. Just a little large for what I've been cutting, but you never know what your going to get into....right? :chainsaw:

I have a feeling that the test saws stihl sent out were possibly built better than the mass produced versions we buy. Example. Mahler makes a prototype cylinder for a 661 test saw. They measure and precisely make the cylinders for, lets say 10 test 661's. All precisely plated and machiened to spec. Those work great. Now lets say Mahle signs a contract other stihl to make 1 million cylinders for the 661. Now all of a sudden their not going to be as dead nuts precise and anal about 1 million as they were with 10.
Just a thought

I won't be able to post from the shop. I'll have to wait till tomorrow after work to post. I think the laptop may have been more the issue than the site when I tried to start this thread. My tolerance for ******** has been low these last few days.
To much christmas stress at the moment?! It tends to get worse till the end of the year.

Hope you find some time to step back and refocus, so that you find your equilibrium again!

I have a feeling that the test saws stihl sent out were possibly built better than the mass produced versions we buy. Example. Mahler makes a prototype cylinder for a 661 test saw. They measure and precisely make the cylinders for, lets say 10 test 661's. All precisely plated and machiened to spec. Those work great. Now lets say Mahle signs a contract other stihl to make 1 million cylinders for the 661. Now all of a sudden their not going to be as dead nuts precise and anal about 1 million as they were with 10.
Just a thought
I don't agree...why would they test the crap out of these "super" prototypes and then manufacture a inferior mainstream 661 that they would have to stand by....IMO

I'll make a stock video of the saw tomorrow.......this place just ain't the same though.

This format sucks. Sometimes it works fine, other times you make a post and it ends up on ****ing mars or some ****.

I have not seen such problems as described. Must be the carbon-based life form at the keyboard .... put down the gun, it's easier to type!

As far as the recall goes, I have no such issues with my Macs, Pioneers .... :givebeer:

B
Just a thought
i

Bingo!!!!!!"

I won't be able to post from the shop. I'll have to wait till tomorrow after work to post. I think the laptop may have been more the issue than the site when I tried to start this thread. My tolerance for ******** has been low these last few days.

Do you eat lunch in the shop? Going in the house for lunch would be a perfect opportunity for videos.:laugh:

So its a bad time to call ya. Lol

I don't agree...why would they test the crap out of these "super" prototypes and then manufacture a inferior mainstream 661 that they would have to stand by....IMO
They don't do it on purpose, but it's the nature of prototyping and tooling. You just can't simulate mass production in small runs. I guess they could build them all on the Friday before Octoberfest?

Just a thought

Ok lets back up the BS train for a minute and stop speculating. I'm sure that some cylinders are a hair less desireable than some in a large run but overall Mahle makes a great quality product and that's why tons of OEM cylinders are Mahle.

I didn't even see anyone mention the fact that 661's are sent out as "prototypes."

"But what the heck does that have to do with anything, Nathan?"

It means the prototypes can be passed to testing hands without passing CARB (EPA) emissions standards. So Stihl takes a great running prototype that hasn't had any problems in the field, and now needs to put their money into getting it EPA certified to sell in the states. There's no reason to do it the other way around if the 661 blows and needs major overhauls. I'm sure stihl does some testing to make sure they can get close enough to pass the EPA testing. However, between prototype and production there are still changes that they make; whether it be for emissions or other reasons... If I'm not mistaken they also have to pass an ANSI or another safety rating to make sure that consumers are safe from the product being marketed.

Anyhow my point is pretty simple. Prototype doesn't = production.

Ok lets back up the BS train for a minute and stop speculating. I'm sure that some cylinders are a hair less desireable than some in a large run but overall Mahle makes a great quality product and that's why tons of OEM cylinders are Mahle.

I didn't even see anyone mention the fact that 661's are sent out as "prototypes."

"But what the heck does that have to do with anything, Nathan?"

It means the prototypes can be passed to testing hands without passing CARB (EPA) emissions standards. So Stihl takes a great running prototype that hasn't had any problems in the field, and now needs to put their money into getting it EPA certified to sell in the states. There's no reason to do it the other way around if the 661 blows and needs major overhauls. I'm sure stihl does some testing to make sure they can get close enough to pass the EPA testing. However, between prototype and production there are still changes that they make; whether it be for emissions or other reasons... If I'm not mistaken they also have to pass an ANSI or another safety rating to make sure that consumers are safe from the product being marketed.

Anyhow my point is pretty simple. Prototype doesn't = production.

Yep. They would also want to pass ul

Latest posts

Back