Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Germans don't take recalls or comebacks lightly. I'm sure somebody(s) has had a come to Jesus meeting with the Directors over this in Germany.
However, it is encouraging to see such a large company attempt to keep the heat off of their Dealers by immediately calling for ALL the stock back, even the sold 661s. To issue refunds on the spot or offer 660s to the Professionals knowing that their income depends, on their product, to put food on their family's tables. To me that is commendable for any company to consider others instead of just their own profits.
We can guess away as to what and why went wrong but I'm sure there are those in Germany not sleeping well right now. Remember this is what I've heard called their "Flagship Chainsaw" replacing the Timbersports famous 660s. The world is watching. They will work it out.

To Master Mind's customer that was willing to donate his 661 not knowing how things will turn out. That takes guts. Thank you!

Yep. They would also want to pass ul
Ok so with our Strict EPA standards its screwing up the new chainsaws on the market. We knew that, BUT Stihl should be able to make the damn things run right or don't put them on the market hoping they will run, because they wont.

Ok lets back up the BS train for a minute and stop speculating. I'm sure that some cylinders are a hair less desireable than some in a large run but overall Mahle makes a great quality product and that's why tons of OEM cylinders are Mahle.

I didn't even see anyone mention the fact that 661's are sent out as "prototypes."

"But what the heck does that have to do with anything, Nathan?"

It means the prototypes can be passed to testing hands without passing CARB (EPA) emissions standards. So Stihl takes a great running prototype that hasn't had any problems in the field, and now needs to put their money into getting it EPA certified to sell in the states. There's no reason to do it the other way around if the 661 blows and needs major overhauls. I'm sure stihl does some testing to make sure they can get close enough to pass the EPA testing. However, between prototype and production there are still changes that they make; whether it be for emissions or other reasons... If I'm not mistaken they also have to pass an ANSI or another safety rating to make sure that consumers are safe from the product being marketed.

Anyhow my point is pretty simple. Prototype doesn't = production.

Ok so with our Strict EPA standards its screwing up the new chainsaws on the market. We knew that, BUT Stihl should be able to make the damn things run right or don't put them on the market hoping they will run, because they wont.
o_O You guys really believe that Stihl Germany cares one second about EPA rules or haven't covered safety ratings?! We have much strickter rules here in Europe! The recall has nothing to do with any EPA paranoia. If you mass produce, sometimes things can go wrong. The recall program started in Germany and not in the US. At least Stihl had the balls to be consequent! I consider that a trait of the past, it was called when I was young "handshake quality"! Not seen often anymore and by reading some comments here not wanted anymore!

Comparing it to Husqvarna who just rode it out and hoped for the best! And now after the how many software updates/part replacement programs the saws seems to be stable. Still amazed that no legal suites have been filed sofar. This would be the "modern" way.

o_O You guys really believe that Stihl Germany cares one second about EPA rules or haven't covered safety ratings?! We have much strickter rules here in Europe! The recall has nothing to do with any EPA paranoia. If you mass produce, sometimes things can go wrong. The recall program started in Germany and not in the US. At least Stihl had the balls to be consequent! I consider that a trait of the past, it was called when I was young "handshake quality"! Not seen often anymore and by reading some comments here not wanted anymore!

Comparing it to Husqvarna who just rode it out and hoped for the best! And now after the how many software updates/part replacement programs the saws seems to be stable. Still amazed that no legal suites have been filed sofar. This would be the "modern" way.

I in no way said it was the EPA. Yes they screw with our stuff but IMHO this recall probably had something to with the manufacturing in the parts somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...back at Schteel intergalactic HQ..

"Yo, Hans, ver ist der muffler openzing mit der nue zix zixty einz"?

"I am tinking dis vas Dieterz job.."

"@@#$%^&^&#!!, mach schnell, issue zee recall"!!!
Lol
So I'm not the only one that brandishes a German English language at times?

Last edited:
Let me second that that thought about the gracious customer.
i.e. What Porsche965 said.
--
porsche965

To Master Mind's customer that was willing to donate his 661 not knowing how things will turn out. That takes guts. Thank you!
--
bryanr2

Mastermind said: ↑

“I won't be able to post from the shop. I'll have to wait till tomorrow after work to post. I think the laptop may have been more the issue than the site when I tried to start this thread. My tolerance for ******** has been low these last few days.

Do you eat lunch in the shop? Going in the house for lunch would be a perfect opportunity for videos.
=
Lunch in the house?
Naaahhhhh

Attachments

• Edison snoozing in the shop.jpg
    Edison snoozing in the shop.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 53
This laptop is the problem.......it's just slow, and locks up a lot. I have zero patience for that sort of stuff.
Maybe your laptop got a case of linkbucks?

I'll assume they change the material somewhat for the jug plating. Bet it was not on the prototypes. If this is the problem, it is better than a major design **** up.

This laptop is the problem.......it's just slow, and locks up a lot. I have zero patience for that sort of stuff.

Whine, nag, **tch, and complain. A piece of chinese electronics giving you problems? I thought this thread was about a mythical chainsaw, a unicorn amongst the heathern. Something only whispered of in the big wood but rarely seen and never heard. If we must bash something, lets keep it a 2-stroke, ok!!

Shea

PS-The wife, a highly educated, computer literate humanoid ordered us a new computer last week. When it came she plugged it up, sat down and put it in her lap so as to play around with it. Shortly after she sat down she put it in the floor and left it!! Something about the new operating system having nothing in common with the old.....I haven't touched it yet!!

Every manufacturer of an end product is counting on a lot of manufacturers behind them doing things right. Sometimes errors happen or shortcuts are deliberately taken somewhere down the line, more often there is a material or process issue. Sometimes, most embarrassingly for those of us that have worked in design, we simply didn't allow for how the end user would use and sometimes abuse a product. Even abuse if it is wide spread has to be dealt with in some manner in the design process. My longwinded way of saying "stuff" happens. What tells the story is how someone stands behind a product after the poop hits the fan, for one customer or a bunch of customers.

So far sounds like Stihl isn't taking any chances. The electronics sounds like a "hard" problem, probably designed or built into every unit. The cylinders might be just one short section of the run or might be a low but unacceptable percentage of cylinders all through the run. Doesn't really matter, Stihl seems to be doing all they can.

Ford tried for years to get around flat installing the wrong radiator in every F150 SuperCrew with a tow package for several years. Met with the Ford customer service guy whose customers turned out to be the dealer not Ford vehicle buyers, the service manager, the fleet manager, and a few more folks. The source book showed I was right as we all knew. The Ford CS guy told me tough patooti, I was a peon and they were Ford motor company, they would do what they pleased. The radiator that was supposed to be in my truck wasn't readily available so the dealer upgraded to the next size bigger than that, no charge. Another year or two later Ford admitted to things and tried every way possible to sucker the customers into Ford not having to actually make it right. Sent me a hundred dollar check I wasn't foolish enough to cash after my dealer had addressed the problem fairly. I did strongly consider framing it and hanging it on the wall just in case I ever met the Ford CS guy again!

Looking at Stihl's actions and Ford's, my hat is off to Stihl!

Hu

Back