Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it feel like? Be nice to combine husky smooth with Stihl "tight". The 394 you built me has gone on walkabout, but it was turning into quite the nasty fat ***** before it left. Thx

Ok, which autotune Husky did you dub the sound from? We need to find you a real piece of hardwood, 2' or so in diameter. The problem is, everything like that is turned into firewood around here. That saw sounds awesome, I have faith in you squeezing some more out of it Randy.

Shea

If you want to know about problems at Stihl, just ask your local Husky dealer!

Word at mine is that... "there are 661 plating issues on the cylinders and there are SW problems with the computers. Some stall out when being run, others flat out die, and some are low on power. So, you wanna buy another 395?" No, I like the 576 better... and I may want a 365 x-torq or two... gimme a price on them...

Supposedly in the UK there is no official recall, but they have stopped selling the 661s until the 661s are 'retested'. Several arbor guys there say they stall out on them, especially if left to idle, and then they are a PITA to restart. Others report that they are not running at full power. Bing-translating and reading the German site, they report a full German recall, and 660s being loaned out as a stop-gap to people that bought the 661. They report problems there with plating on the cylinder and pistons, and with no spark. One guy that popped the jug off a 661 in Germany said that the cylinder of a 661 is like Swiss cheese, and has hardly any surface area with all the porting going on in there. The problems seem to be with a few saws, and not all of them. The biggest problems seem to be early on with DOA ignitions. The 661 saws are all made in Germany, so they are pulling the plug on them all worldwide. They (Stihl) are gathering up all the 'defective' saws and is looking at them now. Or so it would appear.

One thing that a guy pointed out in Germany that ran several pre-release 661s is that they were all one-off built saws, and not mass produced like the ones that are hitting the shelves now. So it may well be production line issues, or the way that they are being assembled at the factory. It may also be computer module batch issues. Hard to say w/o specific information about the production of the saws and the parts being used in them. Also to note: In Germany they give each other even more shyte than we do here on this forum!

beer-bong-smiley-emoticon.gif

what a guy, 7 pages of nothing

I know right? I wanted to give up on the thread.....

is it more or less a big 441 with a 461 type jug ?

I'll tear it down Saturday Brian. Maybe I can get my computer issue fixed by then too.

Ok, which autotune Husky did you dub the sound from? We need to find you a real piece of hardwood, 2' or so in diameter. The problem is, everything like that is turned into firewood around here. That saw sounds awesome, I have faith in you squeezing some more out of it Randy.

Shea

You do realize that is a 28" bar on there......right?

Randy ,Do you have a 461 there to do comparisons with ? or a 660 ? that may show if this new saw has any more ,the same ,or less than for power ,i remember when you side by sided the 461 and 660 ,with 28 inch bar the 461 had a slight faster time with that sized bar in same wood ,but not by much ,it may help the thread ,it might not ,i don't know ,i'm just a junkman thinking out loud ,carry on

Back