Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy ,Do you have a 461 there to do comparisons with ? or a 660 ? that may show if this new saw has any more ,the same ,or less than for power ,i remember when you side by sided the 461 and 660 ,with 28 inch bar the 461 had a slight faster time with that sized bar in same wood ,but not by much ,it may help the thread ,it might not ,i don't know ,i'm just a junkman thinking out loud ,carry on

I don't have a stock 660. I do have a ported 461 sitting here though.

After I really get started, should I start another thread, and delete this one?

Good question ,lot of good responses in this one ,but if the build starts 20 pages in ,many may be missing out on the technical stuff ,maybe the mods can rename this one for you ,then you can keep the mastermind meets the 661 for the complete build with less filler in between ?
I am seeing people from other countries chiming in ,i am sure that stihl watches this forum also ,so i am sure there is a lot of interest in this build besides the regulars that chime in

Start another one and rename this one, "The 661 recall thread". The Swedes are probably starting on a film to run in their shops with a dead 661 vs. a screaming 395xp.

The stock 661 videos are interesting for reference. And there will likely be more information on the 661 recall as things evolve at Stihl in the Fatherland.

We'll call the next installment, Mastermind Modifies The MS661

That's gonna complicate things when Im searching for "intellligent" build threads. :buttkick:This thread should be named "Mastermind unpacks the MS661CM". Save the "Meets" for the real thang.:rock: It's been "Meets" for as long as I can remember.

Randy ,Do you have a 461 there to do comparisons with ? or a 660 ? that may show if this new saw has any more ,the same ,or less than for power ,i remember when you side by sided the 461 and 660 ,with 28 inch bar the 461 had a slight faster time with that sized bar in same wood ,but not by much ,it may help the thread ,it might not ,i don't know ,i'm just a junkman thinking out loud ,carry on

This is the big questsoin,at what point in bar lenght will the ported 661C pull away from a ported 461.
My ported 461 will kill a stock 660 with a 28'' bar.
So what im saying is is it worth getting a ported 661,but i assume with a 36'' bar then things change ?.

This is the big questsoin,at what point in bar lenght will the ported 661C pull away from a ported 461.
My ported 461 will kill a stock 660 with a 28'' bar.
So what im saying is is it worth getting a ported 661,but i assume with a 36'' bar then things change ?.
It's been a similar situation for all prior top saw comparisons. The top of the line only shine in exceptional conditions.

I have a stock 660 but the cylinder is at your place and the rest of the saw is at my house in a bucket. Had I known you could use it I would have sent the whole saw complete. If you want it I can probably get it sent down there for you but Jon would have to pitot back together.

Good question ,lot of good responses in this one ,but if the build starts 20 pages in ,many may be missing out on the technical stuff ,maybe the mods can rename this one for you ,then you can keep the mastermind meets the 661 for the complete build with less filler in between ?
I am seeing people from other countries chiming in ,i am sure that stihl watches this forum also ,so i am sure there is a lot of interest in this build besides the regulars that chime in

Could be that Stihl watches the mod guys far closer than anyone realizes. The big automakers did in the dim distant past and I remember going to a marketing meeting when my dad and I were franchisees of Mobil Oil. They started talking about national marketing and such but then talked a bit about highly successful local marketing campaigns. Not uncommon now but my dad was holding drawings for all the customers to give away turkeys for Thanksgiving and expanded to Christmas in the late sixties/early seventies. We used a locally painted custom sign to promote it so it was quite a surprise to see our sign on the screen, Mobil was promoting dad's concept nationwide! Didn't realize that the big boys even knew about it or had snuck a picture of the sign. Those few turkeys made us thousands though. When the companies notice something works really well they may borrow a bit. Wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that factory tech's had been inside some of the modded saws to see if there is anything they can use and still keep the regulators happy.

Hu

Latest posts

Back