McCulloch Bar Info Needed 1-71

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetor78

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need help finding the appropriate bar for this old chainsaw. It runs good, sound mean, and has a bit of sentimental value being it was my grandads. Its different than the Husqs that i own, the chain tension screw has a circular type feature(in pic). I read that its a .404 pitch and bar up to 30, not that I would want something that massive, but its like having a nice car w/o tires.Anything anyone can tell me will help. Thanks in advance.

Any large mount Mac bar will work. If it fits a 1-7x, 1-8x, 700, CP/SP-105/125, etc. it will work. I have a 36" on my 1-72. Doesn't pull it with autority buried (that's what the 1-82 is for:chainsaw:), but it works.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kDNumYZXno&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kDNumYZXno&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Chris covered it pretty well, except that any bar going back to the D-30/36 or D-44 Series saws forward will work. For your adjuster, make sure the bar has a scalloped slot milled in it for the head of that adjuster screw. It can be trying to get it together properly so be patient and make sure the bar and screw engage.

My 1-71 will really scream, but the crank shaft is not too healthy so I don't use it for actual cutting; on the other hand I have a few other saw I can rely on if I need to get some real cutting done.

If my memory is right, the 1-71 is 87cc, I think a 24" bar is about the max you can run with any real authority, 20" might make it a lot more fun to work with. Almost any original equipment bar you will find will be a hard nose so make sure you use lots of bar oil and don't get the chain too tight.

Mark

The bar you need looks like this.

barm1.jpg

barm5.jpg

Thanks for Bar info and pics

I looked in the barns and found some Mac parts but no bar, i now know what I'm looking for. i really appreciate the help. Thanks

I had a bar off an efco on my kart saw. It worked without having to modify it.

Back