Ms 241c Picco b & c issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for bar/chains...that saw was designed to run 3/8P chain. Don't ruin it with .325. 63PS will make it cut like a hot knife. Since you already have the 6T spur, you could just run that for now, on a new bar/chain. I run a 16" Stihl E Light bar with 63PS 55DL chain.
Agreed, that is what I ran on mine as well.

I want to clean this thing and there’s crud up behind the clutch. I like to be thorough with a new saw and see what I can see
A couple of good squirts of starting fluid followed by some compressed air will clean that crud right out.
This is the bar I run on my 241. Like most of the others have said it's the cats meow.
20200210_124219.jpg

I always use an impact wrench with the plug left in to take flywheel nut and clutch OFF but never on. My impact wrench is powered by an air compressor and capable of lots of torque. That's why I keep saying short bursts, don't hold the trigger down. I don't trust it to put things back on. Rope and torque wrench for that.

I know saw guys will go back and forth all day with opinion, but pray tell, how in tarnation will .325 “ruin it”. Seems like kind of a ridiculous statement considering I’ve read an equal amount of qualified opinion on this forum extolling the performance of a .325 7 pin setup on this saw.

And please tell me in what specific way was this saw designed to run 3/8 vs .325,..

I know saw guys will go back and forth all day with opinion, but pray tell, how in tarnation will .325 “ruin it”. Seems like kind of a ridiculous statement considering I’ve read an equal amount of qualified opinion on this forum extolling the performance of a .325 7 pin setup on this saw.

And please tell me in what specific way was this saw designed to run 3/8 vs .325,..
Kind of silly. Look at the sheet of paper inside a container of Stihl chain. for the ms250 it shows .325 as optimal and 3/8 picco 0.050 gauge and 1/4 0.050 gauge as alternatives. Not sure if there is a line for the ms241.

Well you know what opinions are like, and that was just my 2 cents. 3/8P cuts a smaller kerf than .325. The wider the kerf you cut, the more power you need. Now some may not agree with the "ruin" comment...and granted, that wasn't meant to be taken literally. But the whole point of the 241 (at least to me) is to be a fast, nimble, and light limber. I don't cut big wood with it. I have it for quick pruning and removing small trees. Others may not use it this way.

As for it being "designed" to run 3/8P...that's all I've ever seen them come with, and is the recommended setup by Stihl themselves. Maybe you could order it with .325, but no dealers by me ever stocked them that way. They were all 6T picco spurs.

.325 is to the 241 as full size 3/8 is to the 261. Cutting speed is not optimal, and you have to use a lighter hand. Much easier to keep the RPM up, and not stall the clutch with the respective smaller chain.

Having options is great. If you want to run .325, run .325. You may really like it. Run it and let us know what you think.

Mine came with 3/8P, switched to .325 NK but haven't tried it yet.

Well you know what opinions are like, and that was just my 2 cents. 3/8P cuts a smaller kerf than .325. The wider the kerf you cut, the more power you need. Now some may not agree with the "ruin" comment...and granted, that wasn't meant to be taken literally. But the whole point of the 241 (at least to me) is to be a fast, nimble, and light limber. I don't cut big wood with it. I have it for quick pruning and removing small trees. Others may not use it this way.

As for it being "designed" to run 3/8P...that's all I've ever seen them come with, and is the recommended setup by Stihl themselves. Maybe you could order it with .325, but no dealers by me ever stocked them that way. They were all 6T picco spurs.

.325 is to the 241 as full size 3/8 is to the 261. Cutting speed is not optimal, and you have to use a lighter hand. Much easier to keep the RPM up, and not stall the clutch with the respective smaller chain.

Having options is great. If you want to run .325, run .325. You may really like it. Run it and let us know what you think.
Nailed it, the LP Picco makes that saw a precision instrument. Easy to sharpen I really like that chain.

Mine came with 3/8P, switched to .325 NK but haven't tried it yet.
I have an 025 (Same as MS250) that was converted from .325 to 3/8LP. This is the same displacement as the MS241. It cuts like a scalded dog! It really makes me wonder why Stihl ever put .325 on these saws unless it was to keep them from showing up the almost twice as expensive MS260!

i'm a bit confused; .325 is smaller than 3/8...which is .375. Also, wouldn't switching from a 6t spur to the 7 pin rim increase my chain speed?

Back