Muffler for MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not a fan of the EPA, so I ordered a dual port muffler (muffler and cover) from Bailey’s. I wanted to know if anything is gained by using the aftermarket muffler. I ordered a gasket so switching out is not an issue; the new one just looks a little more restrictive to me.. A reviewer on Bailey's mentioned removing a baffle...

Bailey's - Dual Port Muffler for Stihl 044, 046, MS 440 & MS 460

Factory Muffler

2e487683.jpg

Bailey’s (NWP) Muffler

381bced7.jpg

Thanks for having me aboard. I have enjoyed lurking here for the past year.

Not a fan of the EPA, so I ordered a dual port muffler (muffler and cover) from Bailey’s. I wanted to know if anything is gained by using the aftermarket muffler. I ordered a gasket so switching out is not an issue; the new one just looks a little more restrictive to me.. A reviewer on Bailey's mentioned removing a baffle...

Factory Muffler

2e487683.jpg

Bailey’s (NWP) Muffler

381bced7.jpg

I see one thing I don't like on the Bailey's.. the spark arrestor screen is outside the case, and there is MUCH less screen surface area for the exhaust to travel through. I know it is a dual port.... but w/ that little amount of screen surface area, it will clog w/ carbon fast, and make it a single port. :biggrin:

dw

I see one thing I don't like on the Bailey's.. the spark arrestor screen is outside the case, and there is MUCH less screen surface area for the exhaust to travel through. I know it is a dual port.... but w/ that little amount of screen surface area, it will clog w/ carbon fast, and make it a single port. :biggrin:

dw

Nothing that cant be fixed with a dremel tool!

I would get rid of the baffle and screen . Do you have any pictures of the front cover.oh dont forget to retune your carb.

Last edited:

Factory Muffler

2e487683.jpg

Bailey’s (NWP) Muffler

381bced7.jpg

Yep you would have been better off just ordering the dual port cover.

The muffler you now have is more restrictive.

muffler

Yup T landrum has it right open both holes.

Would sure be nice to just buy the muffler without having to modify.

On my 046 Mag I used the factory muffler, drilled much larger holes in the stock baffle, opened up the factory outlet port then added the dual port cover from Baileys. You will need to fatten up the tuning a tad for the easier breathing and you will notice more power and it's alot louder!

Here's the part number for the big outlet hole, dual port 046 Mag muffler
that's in the picture.

1128 140 0616

Definetly just need the cover. Since you got that one, do what Terry said and cut the entire front off that baffle. Then open up the original outlet up wide as you can without having to cut the deflector.

Have you pulled the limiter caps yet? You may need to adjust your carb after doing the muffler mods. If so, you may need to remove the caps.

dw

You're exactly right. That's a big draw back on the Baileys muffler. Stihl knew that the screen flowed less than the same area without a screen, so installed the screen in a way that it had much more surface area. That way the screen would not be a bottle neck. On the Baileys muffler, your outlet hole is going to have to be much larger in order to get enough screen surface area. I recommend you use your original muffler body and the new cover. There's no need to even mess with the baffle in the OEM muffler. Open up the exhaust outlet as much as the deflector will cover. Finally, open up the port on the muffler cover.

Latest posts

Back