Muffler for MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
I did the same mod to my 460 with the Bailey's cover, I cut the front of baffle completely off, opened stock port to double its size, and installed cover. I am happy with mine. I did have to pull limiter caps and retune carb with this setup.

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
attachment.php

What is that half moon shape peice/rubber/gasket looking thingy at the top of the exhaust port?

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry that I have been away from the thread for a few days.

I guess I should have done more research before buying the muffler from Bailey’s.

The good news is that the muffler combo was the same price as just the cover (when I ordered it).

I spent some time working on the NWP muffler this weekend and below are pics of how it came out. I didn’t take a pictures of the cover before opening it up but the black paint on the screen outlines the original opening.

Should I open up it up more?

ca4233ca.jpg

b2fde912.jpg

851c27fa.jpg

6aa43768.jpg

My next question is about the gasket. The one I ordered from Bailey’s looks like a rubber/composite material while the factory one is metal. Is there any reason not to use the factory gasket again? Is it directional?

6bbf1973.jpg

92805fa4.jpg

From searching around, I figured that I would need to pull the tabs and adjust the carb, just need to spend some more time searching around here to figure out how.

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
You're exactly right. That's a big draw back on the Baileys muffler. Stihl knew that the screen flowed less than the same area without a screen, so installed the screen in a way that it had much more surface area. That way the screen would not be a bottle neck. On the Baileys muffler, your outlet hole is going to have to be much larger in order to get enough screen surface area. I recommend you use your original muffler body and the new cover. There's no need to even mess with the baffle in the OEM muffler. Open up the exhaust outlet as much as the deflector will cover. Finally, open up the port on the muffler cover.

Thanks blsnelling,

I will do this with the OEM, just needed to practice a little on the NWP. I am reading reading alot of your threads/posts and they are very helpful. Currently reading this one.

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Ok, got the muffler back on. I decided to use the OEM gasket since it didn't look damaged. Just waiting on the tool to remove the limiters.

Cleaned the air filter, have a new RSC chain, fresh gas, and some test wood to use while tuning (17" diameter oak). I will work on a log stand over the next few days.

When I pulled off the air filter cover, there was a black divider blocking off part of the air intake. I removed it, figured the more air the better....

07639da5.jpg

ec1e02c4.jpg

45be7171.jpg

13c12f16.jpg

b3261192.jpg

cf192c01.jpg

c39060a6.jpg

Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
That black plastic shutter

''When I pulled off the air filter cover, there was a black divider blocking off part of the air intake. I removed it, figured the more air the better..''

That is installed for summer time use,stops it sucking hot air from engine.

blsnelling
Open the exhaust to the edges of the deflector.

All you need is a drywall screw to pull the limiters. You have to line up the notch first. Trim the tab and reinstall them.

Replace that black shutter. If you want to open it up, do so on the bottom dividers of the cover.

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks Brad and Stihlman, glad to know the reason for the shutter (I put it back in). Limiters came out easily but I think I stripped the threads in the process. I kept pulling with the tool after they came out the initial 1/4" when I should have stopped and used pliers. The threads are fine and there isnt that many of them. If I hadn’t already ordered the tool, a drywall screw definitely would suffice.

Also picked up a larger dawg. Once everything is put back together and my camera finishes charging, I will post some pictures.

Old Crosscut

Old Crosscut

ArboristSite Member
Po Boy Redneck Mod

In pics you'll seeView attachment 215563View attachment 215565View attachment 215566 the bottom part of a floor joist hanger cut, bent, and pop-riveted to the front cover of my MS460. It deflects the exhaust from two additional ½” holes drilled in the cover. I made no changes to the factory muffler body. Just a tad richer on tuning. Oh, yes--ear plugs!

Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Open the exhaust to the edges of the deflector.

All you need is a drywall screw to pull the limiters. You have to line up the notch first. Trim the tab and reinstall them.

Replace that black shutter. If you want to open it up, do so on the bottom dividers of the cover.

2 inch with the finer thread works the best I nipped the very sharp tip since it dosn't contact the cap but stops you from getting a good grip with screw..

Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Ok, all back together and got the log up off the ground. I was hoping to get it higher off the ground but it was a little on the heavy side for manual moving.

I cut the tabs off the limiters and stuck them back in.

When adjusting the H and L screws, it looks like the screw driver is inserted into the limiter not the actual adjustment screw...

Does the limiter grip the metal screw below to rotate it?

How do you know that you are actually adjusting the screw and not just spinning the limiter in the hole?

Am I going to damage the saw by starting it up without adjusting anything first?

2fda206c.jpg

3de62650.jpg

ab7a3075.jpg

cb510436.jpg

a1560d82.jpg

45573d7f.jpg

e9901a8f.jpg

Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Ok, all back together and got the log up off the ground. I was hoping to get it higher off the ground but it was a little on the heavy side for manual moving.

I cut the tabs off the limiters and stuck them back in.

When adjusting the H and L screws, it looks like the screw driver is inserted into the limiter not the actual adjustment screw...

Does the limiter grip the metal screw below to rotate it?

How do you know that you are actually adjusting the screw and not just spinning the limiter in the hole?

Am I going to damage the saw by starting it up without adjusting anything first?

Yes the caps grip the screws so when you turn the cap you turn both. Start with factory adjustment turn both H and L screws clockwise until they stop then back them both off 1 full turn before you start the saw. This is the factory setting for your carb. This setting will more than likely be to lean for your muff mod and you will need to fine tune from there. Get the saw good and hot but lay off the throttle, when its warmed up start fine tuning counterclockwise is richer. With a tach, a 460 L should be 2500-2700 RPM where throttle responce is the best. H should be around 13,500 WOT you should hear the 4 stroking sound and it should clean up in the cut.

www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm This link will help you tune.

Last edited:
Raganr

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks for the info guys. I got a few cuts in before it got dark (a few neighbors came over to see what the ruckus was :)). Working on uploading the video to youtube right now (first time trying this so it could take a while).

I printed out the madsens instructions and had them with me. Thanks for the link.

Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Thanks for the info guys. I got a few cuts in before it got dark (a few neighbors came over to see what the ruckus was :)). Working on uploading the video to youtube right now (first time trying this so it could take a while).

I printed out the madsens instructions and had them with me. Thanks for the link.

Listen to that audio, pay attention to the 4 stroke sound they talk about, you want to hear that or you are to lean. That video from Brad on the 2nd page of this thread is good for that also that one helped me.

Beer Gut

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
At WOT you hear them turn the H screw clockwise lean until the saw screams then they back it off counter CW until it begins to break up thats 4 stroking, then go to the wood and the sound should go away while cutting.

Last edited: