"New" skidloader/log hauler!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up this project trailer. 5th wheel camper frame. Triple axle, 32' deckover with 2"x6" rectangular tube over frame at 24" on center. Tires ok. Just ordered some Ash 2x6's for deck. They will be 1 1/2" thick from mill.

Should be ok for my 7500 lb skidloader and extra logs. 3 - 4k axles. Weighs just over 3000 lbs now. Needs lights and brakes hooked up. For $850, I am happy!

Question, do I need to put 2 screws on every board, on every 2' runner ? Or is 1 ok ? I decided to go with wood on this vs treadplate steel like i have on my scrap trailer for $$$$ wise. Looking at self tapping 2" torx countersunk screws to secure.

Not sure what to do with the 6' platform on 5th wheel yet. Toolbox n spare tire most likely. I told my wife a pickup camper would fit nicely. She laughed....20200901_221918.png20200901_221540.jpg

Seems like a lightly built gooseneck area.
Wonder why it'd not use 2 6k or 7k axles instead of 3 light duty axles?
If you deck that whole thing, that's going to be quite heavy.
I'd leave as is for hauling logs... even then, will only be able to haul ~2 cords... which isn't taking up much room on a big trailer like that.

Did some rough math.
Kiln dried 2by ash lumber (1.5" actual). 34ft deck, 8ft wide is right around 1600lbs.

It's going to be pretty much maxed out with the skid loader (skid steer?).
If the machine is on wheels, I'd make sure it's parked on top of cross members.

Id be wary of the wall thickness on the tube steel. Its not made to carry a heavy, centralized load. They are built to be boxes of air.

One of my friends bought a bumper pull camper frame to tow 2 off road "buggies"... a K5 and a Jeep.

It ended up taking quite a bit of work and $$ to get the trailer sturdy enough so it wasn't a big slinky.

It is around 1/8" thick box tubing welded to the top of camper frame. Been outside for a year rusting...it is sturdy. May need to beef up the gooseneck if pulled heavier than the 12k pounds. Not a big fan of triple axle. Will run as is for now. Can always upgrade axles. These are 5 lug 15" wheels.

Built trailer off a 32' bumper hitch frame 2 years ago. That has steel treadplate deck. It does have flex, but mainly haul scrap appliances and 4 wheelers with no issues. It weighs 4,000 with 2 - 5,500 pound axles. Just added box tubing between the i beams. If done over, would weld C-channel at 2' on center perpendicular to I-beams.

Seems like a lot of over tobe loading a skidsteer on it considering it is a tube frame. You better have ramps with legs that touch the ground if your skidsteer is of any size.

Got some ash wood from sawmill this week. Around $625 for wood deck. Few boards were a bit warped. But, got about 1/2 done today. Boards are true 1.5 x 8". I did roll on some oil/gas mix to hopefully keep them waterproof. Other than a lot of broken drill bits, miter saw that somehow got tweaked, and kids interrupting, going about as expected.

Got lights, harness, and junction box in yesterday. I do plan on beefing up the front 5th wheel hitch area yet. Not sure if I will do myself or have welding shop do it. Then off to get a title. 20201009_175158.jpg20201010_204909.jpg20201010_204920.jpg

Back