New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your post. I look forward to reading what you think of it after many many hours of use and hopefully in varying wood. If there is any chance you could post pics and a few vids of it in use, that would be wonderful. Thanks again.
I just bought one today and joined the forum to share my experience.

I ran a real wet pine through it out of curiosity and it split fine. I hit a few birch with it. Also, some rock solid maple that takes approximatey 15 swings with a 12 pound all steel maul to crack, and the knottiest stuff you can find, and it never studdered. Mine does not shake. It shimmies for half a second when you kill the motor but the flywheels (there are two symmetrical flywheels) weigh in at 70 pounds each so I would expect nothing less.
I ran about 4-5 cords today and hope to do 8 more tomorrow as a two man operation so it will be quick. ill beat it up and let you guys know how it does. I may make the 4way slip wedge this weeks as I am anxious to see how it does. If a hydro splitter can handle it I assume this will do fine also as it splits better than any hydro I have ever used.

Given the flywheels are the main weight, I wonder how much, if any, difference it makes having the motor mounted lower than the DR and SS brands? I guess it's a step in the right direction?

Last edited:
Bill,
No need for towing package, throw it in the back of any p/up truck. The electric motor comes in handy when you want to split IN the garage, IN the winter or any indoor use, like when its raining outside. You can easily convert back and forth from Gas to electric as its the belt that drives the flywheels and not really the motor( of course you need A motor but which one don't matter so much). Let me know if you want to have a go at a gas motor SS. I still owe you some time for that 66 carb rebuild. Hope your feeling better. Keep in touch.

2 g's aint that bad if its in good shape. I think I saw that on CL.

Did i hear GTG at Bills ???? hehe.

A

How ya been Angelo? I'm feeling a bit better these days, yeah the one on CL, not quite what I want, but not a bad deal I guess. Didn't know you had the SS, I wouldn't mind a go at it. I couldn't get it together for the GTG thus far this year, but I have a nother triaxle load of logs coming this fall so we'll see.

How ya been Angelo? I'm feeling a bit better these days, yeah the one on CL, not quite what I want, but not a bad deal I guess. Didn't know you had the SS, I wouldn't mind a go at it. I couldn't get it together for the GTG thus far this year, but I have a nother triaxle load of logs coming this fall so we'll see.

let me know when you get your load dropped. If you want to run the SS before drop me a PM. I got a trailer of oak that needs splittin asap. I got a friend around the corner with a TW6 that we can play with too for comparisons as well. If you run into it I need some 031av parts...I know I know too small for you but I figured I'ld ask.

Mine does not shake.

Maybe you got lucky? Watching the videos on the Speeco site you can see the wood on the table dancing around and also sometimes the wood on the beam. Definitely makes me a little more curious. Not a deal breaker but I haven't been around a flywheel splitter to know how much is normal.

Now I've never seen any fly-wheel system before this, but the thing was wobbling as if the fly-wheels were not well-balanced. It wobbled the most as it wound down when turned off (like a clothes washer does when it's out-of-balance on the rinse cycle). It was still usable, but I didn't think there should be that much (if any) shaking. It was on pavement and this might have amplified the problem.

Mine does not shake. It shimmies for half a second when you kill the motor but the flywheels (there are two symmetrical flywheels) weigh in at 70 pounds each so I would expect nothing less.

Maybe you got lucky? Watching the videos on the Speeco site you can see the wood on the table dancing around and also sometimes the wood on the beam. Definitely makes me a little more curious. Not a deal breaker but I haven't been around a flywheel splitter to know how much is normal.
The shimmy, shimmy coco pop would be a huge deal breaker for me. Flywheels are out of balance, or out of round, or???

My Super Split is super smooth, no vibration at all. I've been around a couple other SS splitters and they too were very smooth.

When I talked to Paul at SS, he said high quality, balanced flywheels were most important for these machines to last and be trouble free.

You guys be careful out there!

i stopped in at our local TSC and they had one, stuffed in the back. They couldn't get it to fire up. I told them its probably a kink in the fuel line based on what I read here. The assembly/mechanic guy there said he'd try to have it running by the end of the week.

As for the build quality I was pretty impressed. very stout little machine. Balanced well (although like mentioned, the tongue is on the wrong side). It weighs in at almost 600lbs which I was pretty shocked about. there is a nice replaceable SS wear plate on the beam too. The safety button seems clumsy, but that can always be modified.

Angelo, what 031 parts do you need??? I have 4 031 runners, 2 in the making, and a box of parts. Let me know what you need,

Pete

Pete,
i'm not 100% sure yet. I was told its a "points" problem but it is an AV so I also understand that the AV is an ignition model. I haven't broken it down yet as its a friends saw, and its more of an emotional rebuild then a functional one. I got two more projects ahead of it then I start my own projects for the winter ...

I'll get back to you on whats needed and thank you very much for the offer. I might need some insight down the road as well. Im more familiar with the newer models.

Pete,
i'm not 100% sure yet. I was told its a "points" problem but it is an AV so I also understand that the AV is an ignition model. I haven't broken it down yet as its a friends saw, and its more of an emotional rebuild then a functional one. I got two more projects ahead of it then I start my own projects for the winter ...

I'll get back to you on whats needed and thank you very much for the offer. I might need some insight down the road as well. Im more familiar with the newer models.

It shares the ignition module with the 075/076 series saws, not likely to have points. A common failure in this saw.

Yes, there is the same shaking that I observed at the store demo! I wonder if an SS owner could take a look and say if this is just the nature of fly-wheel machinery or if there is a difference here between products.

The video link is found on the product page:
SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter - 1022655 | Tractor Supply Company

25% into the video, when he manually places a log on the bar, you can see the log move more than an inch from center before it is split due to this shaking. The accuracy of that split is certainly affected. Would that happen on an SS, I wonder? Would this shaking effect the life of the engine or any other components?

The shimmy, shimmy coco pop would be a huge deal breaker for me. Flywheels are out of balance, or out of round, or???

My Super Split is super smooth, no vibration at all. I've been around a couple other SS splitters and they too were very smooth.

When I talked to Paul at SS, he said high quality, balanced flywheels were most important for these machines to last and be trouble free.

You guys be careful out there!

My SS has a shimmy if on a hard surface and/or if the motor is turned up. Kind of annoying... Also, the splitter will works its way backwards if the front leg or wheels are blocked. I usually split on a base of woodchips and put my front leg inside of the hitch on the conveyor. Works good for me like that.

My partner brought a crane load of logs over the other day, so we are gonna try and knock that out this weekend after a tree job.

Drove across the border to Houlton Maine today as I was going to TSC in Presque Isle to see if they had a kinetic splitter there.
As I turned up Hwy 1 and headed north, I see they're building a TSC in Houlton. Opening date is Oct. 8.
Since Houlton is about 40 minute from where I live instead of the 1 1/2 drive to Presque Isle I thought I'd wait for store opening to see if they had any opening specials on the kinetic splitter or even the 28 ton huskee.
Any more reviews on this splitter would be appreciated so keep them coming. Thanks!

It shares the ignition module with the 075/076 series saws, not likely to have points. A common failure in this saw.

Hey Bill !!!

Got any 075/076 ignition modules ??? hehe !!! Thanks, I hear that is a common failure. Is it a straight R/R or is it a repairable part?

I figured the 031 would be right up your alley, too small, but still in your strike zone...:laugh:

My SS has a shimmy if on a hard surface and/or if the motor is turned up. Kind of annoying... Also, the splitter will works its way backwards if the front leg or wheels are blocked. I usually split on a base of woodchips and put my front leg inside of the hitch on the conveyor. Works good for me like that.

My partner brought a crane load of logs over the other day, so we are gonna try and knock that out this weekend after a tree job.

Mine doesn't vibrate either. Im thinking one of the wheels is out of balance. might be hard to isolate unless you remove them and balance separately with those tape weights they use on fancy magnesium auto rims. Can't hurt to try. a simple motorcycle wheel balancer might work well .
Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tire Wheel Balancing Balancer Truing Stand: Sports & Outdoors

Angelo, if it is a points model and the spark is weak, replace the condensor/capacitor with a WIMA. I have some and can give you one. If it has the electronic ignition then replace?

Pete

My TSC got one in yesterday, and had it assembled today. Since nobody was around, I actually got a chance to look closely at it. Based on what was said here, I decided to shake it back and forth, and without running, it wobbled quite a bit... I'd kind of hate to see what it does when running, but just rocking it showed it to sway pretty bad. That's something I have not seen in the other Husky hydraulic splitters...

Last edited:
Back