Norway spruce looking sickly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldave01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have quite a few Norway spruce trees that I have planted on my property over the last 4-5 years with hopes for some wind break and privacy some day. This spring I have noticed two have dead needles on the bottom branches, they were very heathy appearing trees last fall. They have been planted for 3-4 years. I hate to loose these, any idea what could be going on with them? What I can do to prevent further damage? Thanks IMG_3867.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 most common problems I have been seeing on spruce lately are Spruce Spider Mites and Rhizosphaera needle cast (and maybe some Stigmina which can he hard to distinguish between Rhizosphaera without a closer look). That looks more like the later from that pic just because the needles are darker. It could also very well be both...or something else. Look up close with a hand lens to see if there are tiny black dots on the backs of the needles. If so, likely Rhizosphaera.

Does a sprinkler hit the trees? if so, stop that.

Were they planted at the right depth? Was the wire cage and twine removed from the root ball?

Once all of that is set, fungicides can be used to prevent infections on new needles...but you can't cure already infested needles.

The 2 most common problems I have been seeing on spruce lately are Spruce Spider Mites and Rhizosphaera needle cast (and maybe some Stigmina which can he hard to distinguish between Rhizosphaera without a closer look). That looks more like the later from that pic just because the needles are darker. It could also very well be both...or something else. Look up close with a hand lens to see if there are tiny black dots on the backs of the needles. If so, likely Rhizosphaera.

Does a sprinkler hit the trees? if so, stop that.

Were they planted at the right depth? Was the wire cage and twine removed from the root ball?

Once all of that is set, fungicides can be used to prevent infections on new needles...but you can't cure already infested needles.

Yes on right depth, this one was planted with wire cage on still per some advice I got early on, all the trees I've planted since I've removed all the twine/wire. No sprinkler. Any particular fungicide ? Thanks for your response

I'm not seeing any of the black spots on the needles so I'm thinking it may be something else causing the dead needles

Glad you looked before spraying!

As I mentioned, there is also a lot of spruce spider mite damage. Those aren't out yet. They are VERY tiny, so you need to look closely when they are.

There are plenty of other things causing browning needles...I'm just starting with the 2 most common.

A soil test can tell you if there is a nutrient problem.

I'm not seeing any of the black spots on the needles so I'm thinking it may be something else causing the dead needles

Try incubating yourself in a zip lock bag with a damp paper towel. Put in the dark for a few days. Dont let any decay fungi that may grow fool you though.

Back