not a chainsaw but it does have a bar & chain...first look at a ME 246.4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
Well it just arrived today and i had to compare it to what i consider one of the best pole saws available. Here are some side x side shots of the new Dolmar ME 246.4 pole saw beside an Echo PPT 266.
Retail on the Dolmar is $749.95 MSRP
Retail on the Echo is $599.99 MSRP
AS 003.JPG AS 004.JPG AS 005.JPG AS 006.JPG AS 007.JPG

So whats the price difference between the 2? And is the echo a 4 cycle too
Echo is 2 stroke. Dolmar is a true 4 stroke engine. straight gas with oil in the crankcase.
MSRP is $599 echo and $749 dolmar. real world prices are a different story. echo will probably still be that $599 most everywhere. From a high volume dealer the dolly will be knocking on the door of the echo.

I'm just becoming more and more of an echo fan lately. It started with my 590, then on to my hand held blower, and I was just a THIS close to pulling the trigger on a 620 w full wrap.
Love that pole saw too (that dolmar ain't too bad looking either).
thanks for sharing!

For anyone that has ever ran one of these back breakers there is one thing that is an important consideration when buying one...weight

i weighed each end with the unit sitting flat on the floor.
first up the business end

AS 015.JPG AS 016.JPG

Dry power head weights. Keep in mind that the Dolmar also holds 80ml of oil in the crankcase so add in that extra 3 ozs

AS 017.JPG AS 018.JPG

For guys in the business these can be a life saver. Durability and ease of maintenance are important and if you have ever used one you realize how important weight is. thought since Dolmar has decided to throw their hat in the ring that I would give them a proper introduction. My first thoughts are the shaft is kinda flimsy and I much prefer the echo handle/throttle. That extra 8" of extension will come in handy with the added benefit of the collapsed length being the same.

I have no doubt the 4 stroke motor will give trouble free service. The flimsy extension shaft will have to prove itself. Haven't priced parts for these but I am confident that a new shaft assembly won't cost $250 like some competitors so the lighter weight might just be worth the trade off

Any restriction on inverted operation?
Is it a dry sump or wet. If it's wet I'd assume there will be inverted runtime limit (per episode) for the engine.

I say i like the echo top handle 360 plenty of power for the price and i like having 2 bar nuts
Well since even the Stihl 201 only has one bar nut left, I see this two nut fear simply as a "nuty" illusion. There is absolutely nothign wrong with one bar nut at all. I have it as a quick adjuster on my Dolmar/Makita e- saw and have never had a problem in 5 years.

And the Dolmar 4 stroke doesn't care one bit in which way you hold the engine!

Well since even the Stihl 201 only has one bar nut left, I see this two nut fear simply as a nuty illusion. There is absolutely nothign wrong with one bar nut at all. I have it as a quick adjuster on my Dolmar/Makita e- saw and have never had a problem in 5 years.

Yeah the 200t also has one nut too. But i dont tighten my chain in a tree either. Il send it down if thats the case. Only had to send a saw down for more fuel and oil

Well since even the Stihl 201 only has one bar nut left, I see this two nut fear simply as a nuty illusion. There is absolutely nothign wrong with one bar nut at all. I have it as a quick adjuster on my Dolmar/Makita e- saw and have never had a problem in 5 years.

I like my Ryobi 4 cycle i have held it at any position possible and keeps running without blowing oil or smoking. And i like the deep sound of the 4 stroke too

Latest posts

Back