not a chainsaw but it does have a bar & chain...first look at a ME 246.4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Ryobi trimmers are splash lubrication with a dipper like the old briggs/kohler motors. I wouldnt run it on its side or upside down for very long.

The Dolmar are lubed by crankcase pressure.

diagram-360.png

Patented Unique Lubrication System allows MM4 4-Stroke Engines to be used in Full 360° Multi-position
Employing this system enables use of 25.4mL Brushcutters on any slope such as ditch slopes, river banks or mountain woods.

The natural pressure changes in the crankcase caused by the piston movement in the cylinder are harnessed to pump the oil throughout the engine.

Oil is pumped from a reservoir in the base of the engine through a network of one-way valves for reliable lubrication and long service life without the need to keep the engine level.

Well since even the Stihl 201 only has one bar nut left, I see this two nut fear simply as a nuty illusion. There is absolutely nothign wrong with one bar nut at all. I have it as a quick adjuster on my Dolmar/Makita e- saw and have never had a problem in 5 years.

And the Dolmar 4 stroke doesn't care one bit in which way you hold the engine!

i dont have a problem with the 1 bar nut although i would prefer 2 of them. It is the chain tensioner that i dont like and think they could have spent a bit more time designing

I like my Ryobi 4 cycle i have held it at any position possible and keeps running without blowing oil or smoking. And i like the deep sound of the 4 stroke too
I had a Honda 4 stroke and it was also possible to hold in any position for a SHORT time, definately NOT allowed by the manual. But sometimes on very hilly terrain you just don't have an option. If I needed longer I would sometimes let it idle for a few moments in regular position again.

i dont have a problem with the 1 bar nut although i would prefer 2 of them. It is the chain tensioner that i dont like and think they could have spent a bit more time designing
For me the traditional front mount chaintensioner has about 50 years of experience, that is hard to top. Of course I also prefer a side mount chain tensioner on a handheld chainsaw, but to be honest some of my favorit saws are front adjust and on a pole saw I couldn't care less(I have two kombi tools with chainsaw attachments, one from Stihl[side adjust] and one from Tanaka/Hitachi[front adjust]). And in my experience, as a home owner, I have never had any problem with front or side adjust. These chains are so short that filing by hand is so quick, I would never think of taking off the chain for the grinder and to be honest I have never cut into the earth, stones, nails, etc. with my chainsaw attachments.

So, for me, this is more a discussion about personal preferences than about real problems.

I had a Honda 4 stroke and it was also possible to hold in any position for a SHORT time, definately NOT allowed by the manual. But sometimes on very hilly terrain you just don't have an option. If I needed longer I would sometimes let it idle for a few moments in regular position again.

For me traditional front mount chaintensioner. About 50 years of experience, that is hard to top. Of course I also prefer a side mount chain tensioner on a handheld chainsaw, but to be honest some of my favorit saws are front adjust and on a pole saw I couldn't care less(I have two kombi tools with chainsaw attachments, one from Stihl[side adjust] and one from Tanaka/Hitachi[front adjust]). And in my experience, as a home owner, I have never had any problem with front or side adjust. These chains are so short that filing by hand is so quick, I would never think of taking off the chain for the grinder and to be honest I have never cut into the earth, stones, nails, etc. with my chainsaw attachments.

So, for me, this is more a discussion about personal preferences than about real problems.

The pole saw we ran was a stihl but it isnt often you change the chain out ffor a sharp one and didnt need to tighten it but once every few sites or more yeah about ever 4 5 tanks of fuel. We work the snot out of it on split limbs twice the diameter of the bar length

Chains on these stay sharp for an eternity since up high in a tree they arent subjected to dirt and foreign debris. i wont argue the personal preference on the chain tensioner but todays standards tend to dictate that a front tensioner is outdated

the Ryobi trimmers are splash lubrication with a dipper like the old briggs/kohler motors. I wouldnt run it on its side or upside down for very long.

The Dolmar are lubed by crankcase pressure.

View attachment 417605

Patented Unique Lubrication System allows MM4 4-Stroke Engines to be used in Full 360° Multi-position
Employing this system enables use of 25.4mL Brushcutters on any slope such as ditch slopes, river banks or mountain woods.

The natural pressure changes in the crankcase caused by the piston movement in the cylinder are harnessed to pump the oil throughout the engine.

Oil is pumped from a reservoir in the base of the engine through a network of one-way valves for reliable lubrication and long service life without the need to keep the engine level.
It was free and i would run it upside down for a while stoking up fires and cleaning gutters i also have a spare engine to when ever this does crap out. Wish it had a tunable carb only tuning is the mid range needle if you drill out the brass ball in the rotary slide then pick out the glue and have access to the slotted needle for some adjustment. For free i can complain it start 1 to 3 pulls full choke

Chains on these stay sharp for an eternity since up high in a tree they arent subjected to dirt and foreign debris. i wont argue the personal preference on the chain tensioner but todays standards tend to dictate that a front tensioner is outdated
Yeah i cant say that any tensioner is bad but i dont like the toolless crapsman and poulan spin knob they can get slippery when oily and sore hands. What i seen on the pole saws id be fine with its not like they need to be messed with everyday

Side tensioners are just easier/ better imo. The benefits are noticed when pole sawing for hours at a time more than pruning a few branches in ones backyard. l rwlly like the look of that echo, not sure on the throttle handle though, maybe l am just used to the dolmar style handle. An angle adjustable b/c gearhead works well but can be retro fitted if neccessary.

I like them. Smooth and quiet. Most times they start on the first pull. I have been torture testing one at home for 3 or 4 yrs now. Gallon of gas a week through it average and I have yet to touch it. Added some oil a few times but I refuse to change it. Supposed to adjust the valves every hundred hours or so and I haven't done that either. Most of our trimming is creek banks and hillside to.

Only downfall I have found is that when one is shut off if it gets turned upside down for more than a few minutes the oil will go past the rings and fill the cylinder hydro locking the motor. Not really a big deal and not unexpected on something with oil in the crankcase.

I like my Ryobi 4 cycle i have held it at any position possible and keeps running without blowing oil or smoking. And i like the deep sound of the 4 stroke too

Somehow I'm envisioning a little old school looking, glass packed, megaphone header with a miniture "SupperTrapp" style tip, made up from large bottle caps.

To mess with the neighborhood i was was thinking about the straight header pipe with the flat track megaphone. But i like the supertrap beer cap idea thats a good one to try one day

I still see a few glass juice bottles that have metal caps in about this range of size.
First thought was dink bottle caps and then after posting I began to lean towards the larger caps.
ehh, but it's like most everything else around here....
Sort of depends on available stock and the owners end goals!

Attachments

• IMG_7751.jpg
    IMG_7751.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
I only have half a dozen or so of them out in service with only one of them being used commercially so take this for what it is.

no issues, no parts/repair work on them. even with as flimsy as the shaft seems I have only sold one to replace a bent one and that was from the typical pole saw mishap.

still in the lineup but now it is a Makita EY2650H25H still at the same $669.95 list but with a current MAP of $619.

as an update to my personal MM4 trimmer....MS-245.4....I finally broke down this spring and changed the oil and air filter. Its now 6?? years old and given me zero problems, still starts on the first or second pull.

Latest posts

Back