opinions of the efco saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
hey guys,, i was wondering what every one thinks about the efco saws,, i am looking at the mt8200 and the 7200,, i was wondering who makes them and are they worth getting one,,,,,, the 8200 weights at 15.6 pds power head only,, i can get the 8200 with a 24" b/c for 670.00 to the door and teh 7200 with a 20" b/c to the door for 620.00,, i almost pulled the trigger for one through my normal parts supplier( not baileys) but wanted to see what everyone thinks of them

I'd get one, if it weren't so fricking expensive, that is.

Go get the 8200. Don't forget pics, and don't forget the muff mod!! :blob2:

hey guys,, i was wondering what every one thinks about the efco saws,, i am looking at the mt8200 and the 7200,, i was wondering who makes them and are they worth getting one,,,,,, the 8200 weights at 15.6 pds power head only,, i can get the 8200 with a 24" b/c for 670.00 to the door and teh 7200 with a 20" b/c to the door for 620.00,, i almost pulled the trigger for one through my normal parts supplier( not baileys) but wanted to see what everyone thinks of them
if you were unhappy with your echo saws, then the efco won't please you either. unless of course itis time to sell all of the stihls' and move to the next brand. no seriously, there is plenty of reading to do here on that brand. they seem to run ok, but lots of trouble with cheap plastic and breakage. take your funds and find a nice 372 or 440

if you were unhappy with your echo saws, then the efco won't please you either. unless of course itis time to sell all of the stihls' and move to the next brand. no seriously, there is plenty of reading to do here on that brand. they seem to run ok, but lots of trouble with cheap plastic and breakage. take your funds and find a nice 372 or 440

i was kind of thinking the same thing,,, as far as the stihls,,nope,,,those girls are staying,,,, i would sell a kidney and a left nut first if i ever needed money fast

don't get me wrong, there are some guys who sell and run them and get along just fine. but i would guess not too many pros run them, but i could be wrong.

don't get me wrong, there are some guys who sell and run them and get along just fine. but i would guess not too many pros run them, but i could be wrong.

none taken,,,,, it did cross my mind a while ago how they can sell the 8200 so cheap compaired to any of the other brands of the same cc,, plus what got me to thinking too is the weight of it,, less then the other brands

I've had nothing but good luck with my John Deere CS62. Appears well built and runs great. I've even considered treating it to a woods port and MM.

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Scott, my BIL has a john deere CS52. It runs ok cuts ok looks ok. Nothing that blow my mind, but when he pulls the cord it starts and cuts wood. Any thing big and me and my pop come over with our 70cc saws. But his saw gets the job done. Id try to get a 044, that is the saw that my uncle got and turned my pop and uncle into STIHL men. Great power for the weight. Ive run it and can tell you they are great!

I have an 8200. I have run at least 500 tanks through it. Maybe 700, who knows.

It has never let me down, is easy to take apart, and well built. My only complaint is that the chain brake is flag-style, which does make it more prone to breaking, but other than that, these saws are very well-priced. And furthermore, that's a great price you're getting.

Here's a link you might like to look at regarding the bigger ones:

Chainsawr Setting up the Efco MT7200 and MT8200

I did buy my saw from these guys, so they set it up as shown in this article, and I will say, that it rocks.

Regarding the plastic being brittle in the cold, I've used it in -30 degree Fahrenheit weather for at least 100 hours, and never had a problem.

And I'm sure you noticed, the warranty is unbeatable.

Good luck, if you end up buying one, you won't be disappointed.

As you know we cut commercially, we have run a CS56 for three seasons, it has been an outstanding saw, no issues has performed well. It has prolly cut over 250 cords. It is a good saw right on the heels of a stock 361...........but it's not a Stihl Pro saw. If your looking for a 70cc saw, go buy yourself a 440 and be done if your just going to cut firewood.I've ran a 8200 I wasn't impressed, the Simonized 460 I've got would eat it's lunch, no comparison. My only concern would be dealer support, few and far between. Also from what I've seen in the local shops their resell value blows. The CS 56 was a great buy at 300.00 and it has paid for itself many times over. But if I had to go pay full retail for a saw, it would be a Stihl Pro or Husky XP. I don't think you could ever go wrong with a 440 or 460.

As you know we cut commercially, we have run a CS56 for three seasons, it has been an outstanding saw, no issues has performed well. It has prolly cut over 250 cords. It is a good saw right on the heels of a stock 361...........but it's not a Stihl Pro saw. If your looking for a 70cc saw, go buy yourself a 440 and be done if your just going to cut firewood.I've ran a 8200 I wasn't impressed, the Simonized 460 I've got would eat it's lunch, no comparison. My only concern would be dealer support, few and far between. Also from what I've seen in the local shops their resell value blows. The CS 56 was a great buy at 300.00 and it has paid for itself many times over. But if I had to go pay full retail for a saw, it would be a Stihl Pro or Husky XP. I don't think you could ever go wrong with a 440 or 460.
very well said, hope you are doing well....

New Efco 165

Last week I purchased a Efco 165. I bought this saw because I was looking for something a little bigger to go along with my bullet-proof Stihl 029 super that I have had for many years. The I went with the Efco instead of another Stihl based on what I had read here on AS; the 5-year warranty; I have a very good dealer close to where I work and the NA Headquarters for Efco is just down the street from that dealer. :rock: I got it home and filled her up per the dealer recomendation and headed out to cut some tops that I had previously drug out of the woods. I cut probably 3/4 a cord of wood (too hot to do serious cutting) and I would say this saw met my needs very well. It starts well, the vibs are low, it is easy to handle and seems to have good power. It didn't blow me away with the power but it was adequate for a 20" bar. Hopefully Monday we can give a real workout but so far I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Opinions vary too much to come to a conclusion with the assistance of this thread, but I like my Efcos....

Efco's are fine!

I've got an Efco. Love it! Used it mostly in this last storm. Was out in the middle of it riding around. Only had the Efco with me cuz it's so reliable. Not the size you're thinking of getting but in my opinion great machines. If you look at the cylinder they look like the Meteor ones. Both made in Italy. Scott at Chainsawr sells them and loves them too. I bought mine at Pat's Small Engine. Best price when I bought mine. $7 for shipping. You won't be disappointed.

I've got an Efco. Love it! Used it mostly in this last storm. Was out in the middle of it riding around. Only had the Efco with me cuz it's so reliable. Not the size you're thinking of getting but in my opinion great machines. If you look at the cylinder they look like the Meteor ones. Both made in Italy. Scott at Chainsawr sells them and loves them too. I bought mine at Pat's Small Engine. Best price when I bought mine. $7 for shipping. You won't be disappointed.

thats where i was going to get it from,, i get a lot of my parts from them

I like my 165. I got a great deal on it, so I'm not quite so disappointed that it doesn't run circles around my Husky 350 as I expected. But, that 350 is a hot little saw. The 165 has only had a few tanks through it, so I expect it to get a bit stronger and its already smoother overall while being well-balanced. It will pull a very aggressive chain and get through big stuff quickly and has a big advantage there. I have a very good old-school dealer just 20 minutes from my door, so that's a big plus for me.

Back