Performance spark plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trappermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If you are building or running a modded work saw or competition saw a colder spark plug is desirable or needed in most cases. Also performance/racing fine-wire spark plugs are available and designed for these needs and can create a higher voltage spark.
Chainsaws generally use "Shorty" type spark plugs with a 3/8" Reach (Threads length),this is a bit of a problem because there are not many colder plugs available,and there are no performance plugs available in 3/8" reach.
The coldest shorty plugs are the Bosch WSR6F,the NGK BPMR8Y,these are fine for modded work saws ,but I wouldn't want to use these in a race motor if I didn't have to,they could be too hot. Up until some years ago the colder Bosch WS5E and WS5F were available and fit the needs of modded saws and race saws perfectly,however they were discontinued. A spark plug that is too hot can cause severe engine damage.
Fortunately we can get high quality performance plugs in 1/2" reach,you only need to add an extra gasket from another spark plug(Screw it onto the new !/2" plug so it has 2) to space it out properly. These plugs come in any heat range needed and feature a fine center electrode made of platinum,palladium,iridium etc.,that take less voltage to fire,creating a more powerful spark. These are full length spark plugs with a bit bigger hex (13/16"),so the end of the plug may come closer to your air filter cover,and you may have to trim the plug hole in the engine top cover a bit to get a bigger socket on. These plugs are ideal for any use. For modded or competition use I will list 2 here-
NGK-BR8HIX
Denso-IWF24
There is probably a Bosch equivalent,you would have to check a Bosch catalog in the crossover section.

The 2 shorty plugs I listed,the NGK BPMR8Y is colder of the 2,but they are both "Projected Tip" electrodes ,unlike the discontinued WS5E,and have the electrodes projected into the combustion chamber to run clean on lower performance 2-strokes and are not really suitable to high performance engines, Use the !/2" reach performance plugs I listed.

Latest posts

Back