Iridium Spark Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited the UK once and found both the beer and food terrible!
At 16 I spent two weeks in Christchurch with a lovely older couple. Breakfast was great, but it went downhill from there 😂. At that time, the BSE scandal was very fresh, so we ate a lot of chicken nuggets.
Was in London some weeks ago and the food was great there. I think the trick is to eat in foreign restaurants ;)
Hard pass on Guiness. Tastes like mud.

The other thing that kills coils is the gaps open up with wear almost always from the ground strap being eroded away. This is why having a durable center electrode is pointless if you also don't have the same material or similar the ground strap. This is why I use NGK double iridium with an iridium electrode and a platinum disk on the ground strap. The easily last 100k. I am on my 3rd set in my Tacoma and just installed the second on my daughter's car.
Sparkplug lasting 100k are just like 10k oil changes. Guys can't wrap their minds around it for some reason. However, technology improves and both are easily accomplished.

Gotta admit, I can handle 100k on a spark plug, because I can plainly see whether it's still in good shape or not.

The 10k oil changes still make me cringe. I know that between modern engine controls, tighter machining tolerances, and improved oils, it's completely fine, and I'm throwing away money by changing my oil sooner. I still change my oil sooner.

If it has aluminum heads it gets antiseize. There is no risk if you use a torque wrench and adjust for the antiseize accordingly.
Aluminum heads with steel threads...
The other thing that kills coils is the gaps open up with wear almost always from the ground strap being eroded away. This is why having a durable center electrode is pointless if you also don't have the same material or similar the ground strap. This is why I use NGK double iridium with an iridium electrode and a platinum disk on the ground strap. The easily last 100k. I am on my 3rd set in my Tacoma and just installed the second on my daughter's car.
Sparkplug lasting 100k are just like 10k oil changes. Guys can't wrap their minds around it for some reason. However, technology improves and both are easily accomplished.
All iridium and ruthenium plugs are double tipped, I have never seen the iridium tip itself wear away in the thousands I have dealt with but I have seen them come out of their welds, the electrode arm they are attached to eaten away with the tip still attached.
Only platinum plugs have the option of single or double tipped electrodes. They all have plated threads.
10k oil changes bring me lots of work from increased sediment accumulation, same with the "lifetime" trans fluid.

Aluminum heads with steel threads...

All iridium and ruthenium plugs are double tipped, I have never seen the iridium tip itself wear away in the thousands I have dealt with but I have seen them come out of their welds, the electrode arm they are attached to eaten away with the tip still attached.
Only platinum plugs have the option of single or double tipped electrodes. They all have plated threads.
10k oil changes bring me lots of work from increased sediment accumulation, same with the "lifetime" trans fluid.
No, most iridium plugs are not double tipped. NGK IX are one example. NGK have been plated for my entire lifetime and I have used them since the 80's. The plating helps but doesn't stop the issue, Antiseize eliminates it.
My current truck has over 200k on it with nothing but 200k OCI with Mobil 1 EP oil. It's spotless internally and yes I have checked..

No, most iridium plugs are not double tipped. NGK IX are one example. NGK have been plated for my entire lifetime and I have used them since the 80's. The plating helps but doesn't stop the issue, Antiseize eliminates it.
My current truck has over 200k on it with nothing but 200k OCI with Mobil 1 EP oil. It's spotless internally and yes I have checked..
IX are for modified and high performance applications (off road use) is not a oem replacement and should not be used in a passenger car/truck. Show me a oem replacement that is not double tipped.

That's not true. They sell them in automotive specific sizes.
They also sell racing slicks in specific passenger car/truck sizes to fit stock rims, do you plan to buy a set for commuting and expect them to last or be safe?
The parts store clerk has 0 care if what he sells you is the correct part and its very likely he has no idea. All he knows is a list of 20 plugs comes on his screen and joe customer needs 4/6/8 plugs that will fit. He sees what is in stock in the brand requested (if your lucky and they are capable of it) then says I have this version for 17.99 or this one for 6.99 in stock . 75% of the time the customer has no idea what they are buying and chooses the cheaper plug because its still xxyy brand. Then proceeds to install them slathered in anti seize hand tight without checking the gap because they read or are told they are pre gapped and should not be adjusted.

They also sell racing slicks in specific passenger car/truck sizes to fit stock rims, do you plan to buy a set for commuting and expect them to last or be safe?
The parts store clerk has 0 care if what he sells you is the correct part and its very likely he has no idea. All he knows is a list of 20 plugs comes on his screen and joe customer needs 4/6/8 plugs that will fit. He sees what is in stock in the brand requested (if your lucky and they are capable of it) then says I have this version for 17.99 or this one for 6.99 in stock . 75% of the time the customer has no idea what they are buying and chooses the cheaper plug because its still xxyy brand. Then proceeds to install them slathered in anti seize hand tight without checking the gap because they read or are told they are pre gapped and should not be adjusted.
NGK disagrees with you. Try doing a part look up on their website. Here is a screenshot of one I just did for my truck. Notice the IX is there...
I use the topmone. Iridium center wire and a platinum disk on thenground strap. They easily last 100k and I use antiseize with proper torque without issue and have been for decades...
Screenshot_20230505_071819_Samsung Internet.jpg

Now now, quote the entire sentence. The colder heat ranges can be perfect for modified and high performance engines. This doesn't mean the standard heat range products aren't perfectly fine for stock engines.

Now now, quote the entire sentence. The colder heat ranges can be perfect for modified and high performance engines. This doesn't mean the standard heat range products aren't perfectly fine for stock engines.
I've replaced quite a few of that specific model plug for misfiring with under 20k miles in stock engines after a owner installed them. Its designed for performance and to be replaced often as in after a race or singular hard use not the long service intervals of Oem. The quote literally says "Available in colder heat ranges, ngk IX is perfect for modified and performance engines". What part of that stands out as saying use me in your stock car for 100,000 miles? No one racing casts their own cylinder heads meaning they use modified stock heads and plugs that fit in them. Hell even aftermarket heads run the same plug size/length/thread pitch as the stock head they are modeled after.

I've replaced quite a few of that specific model plug for misfiring with under 20k miles in stock engines after a owner installed them. Its designed for performance and to be replaced often as in after a race or singular hard use not the long service intervals of Oem. The quote literally says "Available in colder heat ranges, ngk IX is perfect for modified and performance engines". What part of that stands out as saying use me in your stock car for 100,000 miles? No one racing casts their own cylinder heads meaning they use modified stock heads and plugs that fit in them. Hell even aftermarket heads run the same plug size/length/thread pitch as the stock head they are modeled after.

"Perfect for modified and performance engines" isn't the same as "not recommended for stock applications." Shrug.

Latest posts

Back