Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of doing that but now that pioneerguy600 has chimed in I feel rather confident in going with the .058. I hope my confidence is not misplaced.
I really hope this works out for you, I took the info I posted from a dealers master manual straight from Pioneer , I have found it was accurate on all models so far, have owned it since 1989. The 16" bar for the P25 that uses 3/8 pitch chain claims 61 drive links in this manual.

I really hope this works out for you, I took the info I posted from a dealers master manual straight from Pioneer , I have found it was accurate on all models so far, have owned it since 1989. The 16" bar for the P25 that uses 3/8 pitch chain claims 61 drive links in this manual.

I hope so too!

I am wondering why Oregon’s Part Selector claims that the P25 chain with 16” bar has 60 links? Or for that matter if you use a chain with an extra link or missing a link would the saw still work effectively?

NO... too few it won't fit on the bar/clutch... too many and it won't tighten... if long it may work for a short while but eventually will stretch and may not tighten.
I read Craig's list daily out of habit (someday someone will offer a FarmSaw or a 655 for free that they no longer want). At least once a week someone is offering a real deal on an improper chain they have. They almost never tell you the gauge or number of drive links!

My FarmSaw I think came with an 18-inch bar. I never saw it. I wanted and got a 20" bar. what was installed was a 474811/20 - 058 - 3/8 Pioneer J9. the chain that fits it has 70 drive links.
At a later date, I got an Oregon 24" bar with 81 drive links.

I hope so too!

I am wondering why Oregon’s Part Selector claims that the P25 chain with 16” bar has 60 links? Or for that matter if you use a chain with an extra link or missing a link would the saw still work effectively?

Does the Oregon Part Selector say what bar, Oregon replacement bar or original Pioneer bar. If your saw has the original Pioneer bar on it then I would go with the 61 drive link chain. Not all bars are exactly the same length or same width for that matter so they take slightly different length chains.

But wouldn't that be for 3/8's pitch? I don't see any other way for there to be an 8 or 9 link difference between the same bar length regardless of the tailpiece or bar height.
Or maybe I'm completely missing something in the discussion..., or combining two discussions. Two whole pages of chain apprehension almost always makes me a little confused. LOL

NO... too few it won't fit on the bar/clutch... too many and it won't tighten... if long it may work for a short while but eventually will stretch and may not tighten.
I read Craig's list daily out of habit (someday someone will offer a FarmSaw or a 655 for free that they no longer want). At least once a week someone is offering a real deal on an improper chain they have. They almost never tell you the gauge or number of drive links!

My FarmSaw I think came with an 18-inch bar. I never saw it. I wanted and got a 20" bar. what was installed was a 474811/20 - 058 - 3/8 Pioneer J9. the chain that fits it has 70 drive links.
At a later date, I got an Oregon 24" bar with 81 drive links.

I see you’re really keen on me eating at that forsaken local greasy spoon up north, aren’t ya?

BTW, a great place to pick up used saws are garage/estate sales. A buddy of mine picked up a Farm Boss for $5 at one of these sales.

Does the Oregon Part Selector say what bar, Oregon replacement bar or original Pioneer bar. If your saw has the original Pioneer bar on it then I would go with the 61 drive link chain. Not all bars are exactly the same length or same width for that matter so they take slightly different length chains.

The Oregon Part Selector shows that there are no Oregon bars for the P25 so I was assuming they are quoting the link count for the OEM bar.

Upon further inspection there is a note in the fine print in the header that states “Note: Count drive links on 16" - several cases with 61 drive links”. So they seem to be implying that Pioneer had different bars for the P25, most with 60 links but some with 61! The question is which one do I have?

I see you’re really keen on me eating at that forsaken local greasy spoon up north, aren’t ya?
BTW, a great place to pick up used saws are garage/estate sales. A buddy of mine picked up a Farm Boss for $5 at one of these sales.
I squeeze a dollar until it says uncle, and I don't spend one until I'm certain what I purchase is what I need!
Any more chainsaws and they and I will be sleeping in the barn, it has power but absolutely no heat. There are enough critters out there that I would not be sleeping alone.
I just picked up a pole saw chainsaw and a little while back a top handle Poulan (marked Craftsman). I purchased the craftsman because it came with spurs.
I get very disappointed when something I plan doesn't work out... I'm afraid you're going hell bent for leather down that road.
Are there more than one chainsaw shops in that area? We have a hardware store that makes and sells chains too. I trust the Stihl dealer because he deals with loggers. If he wasn't trustworthy that wouldn't happen here!
I send good wishes for the outcome you want.
Lou
If me I'd find a way to ensure I got the correct chain the first time.

The Oregon Part Selector shows that there are no Oregon bars for the P25 so I was assuming they are quoting the link count for the OEM bar.

Upon further inspection there is a note in the fine print in the header that states “Note: Count drive links on 16" - several cases with 61 drive links”. So they seem to be implying that Pioneer had different bars for the P25, most with 60 links but some with 61! The question is which one do I have?

Any bar that Oregon sells with the KO95 mount pattern will fit a P25, 26,28 1074 etc. The 16" 168RNDKO95 and the 16" 168SLHK095 are two of Oregons replacement bars.

Need help... looking for a yoke clip for my pioneer saw.

You can email me at [email protected]

Kinda desperate.

Thanks so much!
Brian

Attachments

• 20181106_072147.jpg
    20181106_072147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1541518132271.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541518132271.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181106_072232.jpg
    20181106_072232.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I don't have a spare but I think it'd be fairly easy to fabricate one from piano wire.
You have a reasonably good template in one of your photos (we'll ignore the break).
I haven't looked lately but it used to be hobby shops carried piano wire in stock.
I had a string controlled, .049 gas driven model aircraft as a youngster. Dad got pretty good at fabricating landing gear for it.
I think a large socket would make a really good form for the circular part. Due to the spring action of the wire something probably considerably smaller than the finished size (You may need to overlap the ends on the socket to get the desired final size.).
If you successfully make one please post your procedure (including the socket size and wire diameter) to help the next guy.
HTH and TIA
Lou
The link below is what the last spring I ordered looked like (Poulan weedeater (OrderTree) - NLA). It has overall length and diameter dimensions.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dohsde8811e80hv/FarmSawTakeupSpoolSpring.pdf/file
My IPL part number is 432129 (add prefix 507 for Poulan weed eater).
That updated and became 507429572.

Edited 07 Nov 2018 13:30 PDT
I don't recall where I got the following number 507429892 - 507429892 is the black piece that engages with the saw (flywheel) and actually turns/starts your FarmSaw, you probably do not need this part.
I dug it up in one of these old posts by me
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-320
Damn... memory skipped a cog... again!
GL

Update on the 1770/71/50: Got the oil lines plumbed last night. For anyone who has one of these saws, the fittings are inverted flare style standard brake fittings on 3/16" line. I went to my local autoparts store and got 2x 12" cupro-nickel lines with fittings on them, bent them up at home, trimmed them down a touch and they are perfect!

Once the oiler was done and pumping, I put some gas in it and fired it up for the first time - post restoration. Seems to idle really well and revs up nice.

I'll share some photos that I've posted before:
IMG_20180922_225201.jpg

Its a heavy tank of a saw, I'll have to see how it compares to my Mac 795 (103cc)

Its a heavy tank of a saw, I'll have to see how it compares to my Mac 795 (103cc)[/QUOTE]

my money's on mac...
bein heavier.
btw, matt, think the handlebar brace/straps should black? were on nice 1771 that passed thru here few yr ago.
either way, lookin good. nice to hear it's runnin.

Its a heavy tank of a saw, I'll have to see how it compares to my Mac 795 (103cc)

my money's on mac...
bein heavier.
btw, matt, think the handlebar brace/straps should black? were on nice 1771 that passed thru here few yr ago.
either way, lookin good. nice to hear it's runnin.[/QUOTE]

i'll have to wait and see, I'm off to Indonesia tonight (maybe i'll try to convince the girlfriend to let me bring an 090 back in my luggage if I stumble across one)

The straps may have been black, this saw was missing almost all its paint when I got it. I'd love to see some photos from people who have original un-restored ones in good condition. I really haven't seen many photos of these saws. But Pete, you are probably right. I will likely re-paint them.

I'll bring the saw by one day to show you when I get back

The White one is 431484 listed as correct for P60, The Blue one is ? and 475259 listed as correct for the P61. The two coils be swapped . l have found Blue coil some but not all model P-50 p51, P61 Saws. Both are Prestolite coils.
Maybe one colour sub over to the other for some reason, l do not know much more about it.

The 2 Saws in Pic are P61,s and those are the coils that were on the saws, l have no idea if they are original ones.

Can anybody add to the mystery topic?

Attachments

• CoilsDSC00263_001.JPG
    CoilsDSC00263_001.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CoilsDSC00264_002.JPG
    CoilsDSC00264_002.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 9
Back