Piston Stop??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm fairly new to chainsaw repair and still learning. Up to the other day I had no problems (that I know) using a metal piston stop. Then I tried to remove the clutch on a Stihl MS180 and put a hole in the piston. Now I'm wondering if I should stop using the metal piston stop. I've watched youtube videos where they use rope and I'll seen the Stihl tool in the shop manuals. Anyone have any comments??

Thanks

Its a little piece of plastic. Here is a link on Ebay for it Stihl Piston Stop

I buy my parts from a dealer who gave me one of these. Call the local Stihl dealer and see if they have one they'd sell you.

I stay away from the rope as I got a parts saw that the previous owner used the rope trip and guess where the rope ended up? Down the side of the cylinder. So I had to break down the cylinder to get the rope out and verify nothing else was in there.

Another vote for impact here. Not the 600lb/ft monster either. I have both 1/4 and 3/8 drive impacts. I will hold the flywheel with my hand while I use the impact on either the flywheel or PTO side. I've never had a problem.

A cheap impact is a good investment if you are going to work on saws. No rope needed to remove clutches.
If you must use a wrench, the use rope and only as much as is needed. It is less torque on the rod if the piston is near TDC.

A cheap impact is a good investment if you are going to work on saws. No rope needed to remove clutches.
If you must use a wrench, the use rope and only as much as is needed. It is less torque on the rod if the piston is near TDC.

How much is "too" much? Those rods are pretty weak anyway........

Yes an impact gun is a good thing to have when doing clutches. I have one of those air nailer combos from Lowes that runs 120 PSI so I use the 3/4 impact gun on lower pressure to do clutches.

But the Piston Stop is cheap and needed for doing the flywheels. If your rope is frayed in any way you run the risk of it ending up in your cylinder.

i use 1 inch impact at 150 psi to take clutches off:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:,, just kidding guys,,, i use a 3/8 impact at 80 psi with no problems,, i do have a metal stop but i hardly ever use it because i hold the fly wheel

Use rope and you'll likely bend the rod. Use an impact and you'll end up breaking the clutch and shearing the cast in key on the flywheel. Trust me, I've done them all. Your only option is the correct Stihl stop, which is a piece of plastic of the correct thickness. You're finding out why I won't own one of those throw away Stihls.

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

370412422_Qcreq-M.jpg

I have the plastic Stihl piston stop -- the double-ended spoon one, not the screw-in one -- and use it religiously. If I don't have that available, I use nylon rope. The only metal I'll put down the bore is a dial indicator to find TDC.

I use rubber fuel line with a slight bend to it. I broke a piston with the metal stop. That was the end of that. The piston was a fairly new also. not that, that makes a difference just was mad I had to tear everything apart and redo it. All that for a leaky crank seal.

Use rope and you'll likely bend the rod. Use an impact and you'll end up breaking the clutch and shearing the cast in key on the flywheel. Trust me, I've done them all. Your only option is the correct Stihl stop, which is a piece of plastic of the correct thickness. You're finding out why I won't own one of those throw away Stihls.

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

370412422_Qcreq-M.jpg

Where's my viddy o when I need it,LOLOLOL

Just for those who may not know a metal piston stop is NEVER to be used in a angled spark plug hole. Doing so will result in many busted pistons. The metal stop in fine in cylinder where the plug hole is centered and flat at the top of the cylinder..

420107892_DaNK4-M.jpg

370412422_Qcreq-M.jpg

Me either

176100d1300117725-dsc05423-jpg

Back