Forget the piston stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the cups @zero is talking about, but only on a Lawnboy Duraforce motor. I don't recall a chainsaw having such a cup. My memory could be faulty though. Regardless I've never had a problem removing a Duraforce flywheel with the cup.
It's because you have never worked on anything but a chainsaw. Lot of weed eaters work that way.

measure the range of motion both rocker arms travel then compare it to the adjacent rock movements. This can show you a bent push rod or worn cam lobe. Valve stem seals are not difficult to replace and are inexpensive. 150 psi is acceptable compression, is it within 10 psi of the others? With it that far apart I would slide new stem seals in, clean the valve cover, test and clean the pcv and replace the exhaust manifold bolts/studs for the effected runners. Does the egr feed that cylinder its majority of flow and open/close properly even when not commanded.

I put a new exhaust manifold on it yesterday and that cured the ticking. I found no crack in the old one but assume it was warped since a new gasket didn't seem to help. New manifold, a few hundred cuss words, and voila. Appreciate the info just the same.

It's because you have never worked on anything but a chainsaw. Lot of weed eaters work that way.
This is the chainsaw page...not the weed whip page.
And you made the following statement "Most all saws have some kind of cup on the flywheel that holds the pawls or however that manufacturer wanted to engage the starter mechanism with the flywheel.", which isn't true.
I have worked on mowers, blowers and trimmers. Used the same method I always have. It really isn't that hard.

This is the chainsaw page...not the weed whip page.
And you made the following statement "Most all saws have some kind of cup on the flywheel that holds the pawls or however that manufacturer wanted to engage the starter mechanism with the flywheel.", which isn't true.
I have worked on mowers, blowers and trimmers. Used the same method I always have. It really isn't that hard.
LOL. Dumb and dumber signing in.

Whatever you want to call what the pawls engage with if they don't use a cup with ridges in it. Or, the pawls themselves.

You don't want to hit any of it with a hammer.

LOL. Dumb and dumber signing in.

Whatever you want to call what the pawls engage with if they don't use a cup with ridges in it. Or, the pawls themselves.

You don't want to hit any of it with a hammer.
I don't know how one would hit the starter pawls on a chainsaw... of course idiots like yourself abound.

I don't know how one would hit the starter pawls on a chainsaw... of course idiots like yourself abound.

I haven't taken a flywheel off since yesterday morning about 9:30 .

It was a Stihl BR450 . 13 mm nut. Deep socket. Hard rubber piston stop.
The flywheel is shaped like a dog biscuit. Gunsmith happens to come walking by and I said tap this socket while I hold this blower up by the flywheel. Blower a little hard to hold up with one hand .Popped right off . Couple of minutes tops.

That is the way I do it.

If you have ever taken one off of any piece of handheld equipment explain how you did.

If it is easier or quicker I will change.

I use one for a blower's fanwheel, that sumbitch is on tight.
I pretty much lay my chest on top of a BR550,600,700 and use about a two foot piece of pipe..

Off on a tangent, the BR800 is not threaded but on a taper. If the fan spins, which I have seen happen, it ruins the taper on the crankshaft. So, basically the motor is shot. I f you just put another fan on it will spin the fan right off. Not sure what Stihl was thinking.

This little impact is my install gun. Has soft setting that is perfect for small chainsaw and dirt bike bolts.
The horse shoe nail hammer has actually drive nails in horse feet while in my hand. Ive also foundvit works great as a small delicate remover. No its not going to be used to walk a tie rod end out of steering knuckle but light vibrste a flywall off the crank yes.

20221207_103318.jpg

Ill admit to being one whos also ruined a few things over my 20 years of wrenching beating on ****. Thats what makes us good.

Back