Forget the piston stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pulled the intake and exhaust manifold off my 81 F-150 300 straight six between posting on this stupid forum . Ticking noise .Every professional auto mechanic says it was a cracked exhaust manifold on the back side, but if it is it's invisible. One of the exhaust ports is coated black, and the rest are relatively clean. I took the wires off one by one and they all caused a skip. But, I'm afraid I've got a valve problem.
The 300 was one of the best engines Ford made. I will not say they are bulletproof because nothing is but they are darn good. A lot of folks discount them for a heavy truck. I have put a lot of miles on them. Many decades ago we were picking corn and hauling to the elevator about about 12 miles away. Dad had a F-150 with a 300 4 speed. I was too young to be driving but has that ever stopped any of us? WelI I overloaded a gravity wagon and headed out. Well since it was a gravity wagon there was zero tongue weight. When I got home and Dad saw the scale ticket he put a string of words together. I had 212 bushel on it which is 11,782 pounds plus the wagon.

My former father-in-law had a F-350 with a 12ft flatbed. It had been a dog food delivery truck it it's former glory. Well I had to pick up a Oliver tractor I bought and used his truck to go get it. Well I put GN flatbed and headed out. I looked down and the oil pressure gauge was below "L" I looked at the other oil pressure gauge he had and it was low as heck. He told me it would be fine. Well I got the load back home and told him he really need to take a looks at it. He laughed it off and said it will be fine. Well a few weeks later he took off for North Dakota with a load of horses and gear for vacation. He was traveling with a group and was trying to keep up with the guys with diesels. Well needless to say that was the last trip that ole 300 took before a rebuild. He worked teh snot out of her and she could not rise to the task. He limped it home. I just looked at him and said "I told ya it didn't have any oil pressure and you told me it il be fine"

I just noticed the weed whip and fiskars saws. Also see a ford 300 or 240. Ive found those things can be tuned with nothing more than a hammer.
20221207_212603.jpg
This a 22kx450 with 150hours one intake valve is getting spongy doing piston valves and timming chain.

As pictured about the only tool needed for this stage was the trusty hammer.

tapatalk_807676553.jpeg

Since were so on topic ill share the thing that has a fairly built 300 by me

Latest posts

Back