Clutch will not come loose to replace clutch drum echo cs400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
The clutch will not come loose so I can remove and replace the DRUM and now cracked clutch. I used a rope to stop the piston, turned it right to loosen. Its so seized I’m afraid any more pressure will cause too much stress on the internals. any suggestions welcome

I have had a few clutches like that. Heat and penetrating oil is very helpful. Also, removing the rope and instead using the compression from the engine as resistance while you use an impact driver makes a huge difference.

Focus the heat on the spider / carrier of the clutch not directly on the crank. You’ll need to get it good and hot. Though keep it under 200c or you can start to enter the temps that could start to affect the steel of the crank.

If that fails, if you can somehow set it so the clutch soaks in evaporust ( or vinegar is a cheaper solution) for a day or two.

Share pics and your progress. When you finally succeed in taking it off (which you will!) it will be a great thread for others in the future to read and get reassurance from.

Edit:

Put the spark plug back in.l so you have compression.

Cut up an old 1/2”socket of the appropriate size with a cutoff wheel. Turn it into the needed tool with three tabs or teeth that fit the clutch.

Set a 1/2” impact gun to tighten, and zip the clutch off easy as can be with a single hit.

Has always worked. Is much easier on the internals than a breaker bar and piston stop.

All great tips. As long as you turning in the right direction to loosen.
Most clutch threads are LH.

I used a rope to stop the piston, turned it right to loosen. (copied from first post)

Think the OP had that sorted- direction wasn't the problem- methodology might have been.

Soaked over night still stuck. i Put two bolts through an old bar to use as a lever. I’m dyslexic I even had my wife come out and make sure I was turning to the right 😝. I order the three prong tool but idk how well that will work. We will see if the tool is the way sometime next week. The 400 was good but honestly I cut above Average with it on my property. We’ve had a lot of storm and i cut down and processed 5ea 1.5 to 2ft diameter trees , multiple other small trees and whole lot of trees limbs. Would jamming it up and the chain getting stuck or too much back pressure and a small saw big tree tighten down that clutch assemble and drum? I feel like I might have put too much pressure on the crank shaft already trying to remove the assembly I feel like it’s out of plumb. I’m poor so all my equipment is underpowered so I tend to use too much muscle when I work my equipment.

Soaked over night still stuck. i Put two bolts through an old bar to use as a lever. I’m dyslexic I even had my wife come out and make sure I was turning to the right 😝. I order the three prong tool but idk how well that will work. We will see if the tool is the way sometime next week. The 400 was good but honestly I cut above Average with it on my property. We’ve had a lot of storm and i cut down and processed 5ea 1.5 to 2ft diameter trees , multiple other small trees and whole lot of trees limbs. Would jamming it up and the chain getting stuck or too much back pressure and a small saw big tree tighten down that clutch assemble and drum? I feel like I might have put too much pressure on the crank shaft already trying to remove the assembly I feel like it’s out of plumb. I’m poor so all my equipment is underpowered so I tend to use too much muscle when I work my equipment.
I’ve blown up three garden tillers a gt5000 garden tractor an older chain saw, a car engine and a motorcycle. I Maintenece everything and change lubes every season. My neighbor still doesn’t believe I’m using mixed fuel in my 2 strokes. I feel like tools just don’t like to get worked like I need them to be worked. I got to buy new tools every season.

It may help to put the bar on the saw and then put the bar in a bench vise. At least that will hold the saw in position.

I did it. I bought the tool. I used it just with the compression stopping the movement. It worked but bent the splines on the tool, hahha. Idk why I trusted a YouTube hack enough to try it and think it was a good enough way to fix the issue. Definitely use the tool for the job. I’m poor so I thought Id save 15 bux. But being a cheap ass is never the way. I keep learning this lesson over and over it seems.

I did it. I bought the tool. I used it just with the compression stopping the movement. It worked but bent the splines on the tool, hahha. Idk why I trusted a YouTube hack enough to try it and think it was a good enough way to fix the issue. Definitely use the tool for the job. I’m poor so I thought Id save 15 bux. But being a cheap ass is never the way. I keep learning this lesson over and over it seems.
I buzzed it off with an impact gun

Put the spark plug back in.l so you have compression.

Cut up an old 1/2”socket of the appropriate size with a cutoff wheel. Turn it into the needed tool with three tabs or teeth that fit the clutch.

Set a 1/2” impact gun to tighten, and zip the clutch off easy as can be with a single hit.

Has always worked. Is much easier on the internals than a breaker bar and piston stop.
This is the way forsure. I went ahead and just bought the tool. It worked with just using the compression for back pressure. This is the way guys, just make or buy the appropriate tool. The tool though is a weak cast and I bent the teeth on it so next go around Ill make one using a socket. No need for a stop just use the compression for back pressure like this guy said.

This is the way forsure. I went ahead and just bought the tool. It worked with just using the compression for back pressure. This is the way guys, just make or buy the appropriate tool. The tool though is a weak cast and I bent the teeth on it so next go around Ill make one using a socket. No need for a stop just use the compression for back pressure like this guy said.

You’re welcome for the assist!

For installation use a hand ratchet, and compession again. Spin it down with your fingers and just thump the heel of the ratchet handle a couple times. Done. No impact guns allowed.

Here’s the trick: You can not start the saw without a bar and chain the first time or the clutch will remove itself. Instead, install a the B&C and rev the saw a couple of times against a locked chain brake. The clutch is now tight with no risk of breaking anything… and you never put pressure on the piston face to install or remove the clutch.

I intensely dislike piston stops.

Latest posts

Back