Poulan Pro PP338PT - Check Your Boots!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
The last time I used my pole saw a couple of weeks ago I thought the tuning was inconsistent - I would get it tuned right and then it would be off again a minute later. I shut it down and planned to take a look, which I didn't do until tonight. Sure enough:

IMG_0760-1024.jpg

That's the boot that goes from the air valve to the strato inlet, cracked and shriveled up. It's only a couple of years old - someone clearly blew it in selecting materials! They are cheap - I saw $1.34. P/N 545190501

Other than that I liked the way it was put together - this was the first time I took it apart at all.

I pulled the muffler to look at the cylinder and everything looks fine in there. I resisted the temptation to mod the muffler - for now - but the spark screen did manage to fall out.

Last edited:
I have the same pole saw, this may explain the same inconsistancy with the way it runs, I"ll have to check. thanks for the heads up! oh, by the way my spark screen "fell off" too!

Let me know when you find out - I would not be at all surprised. The way that deteriorated there is clearly a material problem and mine won't be the only one that failed.

Well I got the new boot and popped it in - took a couple of minutes. You remove the 4 T25 screws that hold the yellow cover on, remove the air filter and remove the two 8mm nuts that hold the carb on. Leave the T20 screw in - you can pull the carb and the filter housing forward far enough to replace the boot with the lines and linkage attached.

Runs nice. Now I'm just waiting for my 34DL loop of 0.043" WoodlandPRO chain to arrive from Baileys. I really think it could pull more than an 8" bar.

I did my annual boot check and sure enough, it looks just like this old photo - completely cracked and split. Last time I got 2 so I got two years worth. This time I went to do the same - $1.26 + $7.99 shipping!:angry:

I ordered one much cheaper from eBay. I cannot believe they have not fixed this issue and changed to an appropriate material!

I am guessing this is causing an air leak? If it is, nice way to cook an engine.
Not really in this case. This is the connection of the air valve to the strato ports on the cylinder, which is wide open at full throttle anyway. What it does is effectively prevent the air valve from closing at idle, and makes it impossible to set the idle mixture & speed.

Latest posts

Back