ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

PPE: boots, jacket?

johnsayen

johnsayen

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello

I have saw chaps, saw gloves, helmet with muffs and face shield. I also wear steel toe boots but am now wondering, I notice that people don’t mention jackets or boots very often when recommending PPE.

Should I be investing in a saw jacket and special boots to increase protection? If so, what are some good options? If not, why are these locations not as heavily recommended or talked about?

thank you

NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Chain saw boots are a must-have for me. Feel like I don't have anything on if I don't have those on. I go the rubber ones. They last way longer than any other rubber boots I've had too - so they get used for a whole lot more than just chain sawing.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
Chainsaw boots have the Kevlar wadding in the top and shin, I'm not aware of jackets with saw protection but they may exist. My understanding is the protection is based on analysis of injuries, I think by US forestry possibly, and the locations of the protective wadding are, so it does make sense.

Cheap boots protect, but aren't as comfortable. I only buck up logs for an hour or two at a time, cheap works fine. If I were a pro, climbing or just in the boots day in day out, cheap probably wouldn't cut it for comfort.

Also think about specs in addition to the face shield. They are cheap and add an extra layer of protection against chips/dust in the eyes.

@Philbert usually has good advice on PPE

anlrolfe

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
1605709713306.png
It's kind of like playing the lottery, but the one you hope to never win.
I wear Steel toed boots, Chaps, Helmet.
I've thought about special glove but typically wear rawhide work gloves.
Looking at this image, I ask myself, what actions on my part could contribute to a particular injury and what injuries can I prevent through my actions or engineering controls to minimize my risk.
For the hand injuries I think of the following:
Don't cut 1-handed
Caution when cutting from the underside using top of bar. ?kick/(push) back?
Caution while Bore cut, push back?
Limp forward hand w/ kickback
Older saw without guard or chain break
??? what else ???