PTO direct drive inertia/kinetic splitter balanced split rims flywheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig schintler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to tap into some of the experience on the site and understand if my idea is sound and get suggestions on how to go about or drop it all together.

I like the principle of the inertia splitter.

What I want to do is run one off my sub compact 28hp mahindra using a direct drive from pto to a clutched flywheel.

The flywheel I was proposing using landcruiser split rims that have been balanced at the local tyre place removing the need for a machinist. Pinion would be welded between two wheels that are attached to the stub axles with wheels attached.

rpm is accurately controled by PTO to the required speed.

The rack and pinion splitter component would be same as traditionally used.

What are your thoughts on using the pto concept and balanced wheels.

Also can you buy the completed rack and pinion component from on the the retail suppliers.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards, Craig

It may be the proposed flywheels add bugger all other than complexity to the equation, when you've got 26 horses and the tractor flywheel driving the PTO as it is.

thanks for the response kiwibro,

I understand that tractor has above hp and could use hydraulic or screw type.

As I only get to the property 3 times a month on weekends it is the speed of the inertia that attracts me. Also if I have drive already available in form of pto why not use it.

As well if the wheels/axles can be used it makes it a very affordable project and I am surprised one of the commercial manufactures have not gone down this path.

I will add link to this thread to the sponsor to see if anything in the plans for something.

Regards, Craig.

Split rim or split ring?
I guess I'm curious as here in the states split rim wheels haven't been used since the 1970s. Firestone RH5... aka widow makers.

The wheels I've seen on Land Cruisers were split ring like this:
Split04.jpg

This guy has a nice home made kinetic splitter. I could imagine running it off a pto. Everything would be custom though.

Plenty of split rims in Australia as detailed in your image. we still have some new vehicles with them. guess we are a bit behind the times.

That video is the one that gave me the idea but I was hoping the pinion and ram component I could source as I am not mechanically adept. But I would do the pto and wheel component easily enough.

thanks for your responses.

craig.

He said the pinion (drive) gear is made by Matrin, part number S415, 4 pitch, 1-1/8" bore (center hole), 2-1/4" Outside Diameter, 2" Face, 15 tooth.
http://www.amazon.com/Martin-14-5°-Pressure-Angle-Carbon/dp/B007NO59R0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430278022&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=martin+S415+pinion

Rack is Mrtin part number R4X4, 4' long, 2" wide face. It needs to be the same pitch and pitch angle as your pinion gear.
http://www.amazon.com/Martin-R24X4-14-5°-Pressure-Backing/dp/B0051V9KX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430278458&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+R4x4+rack

The image I posted is called a split RING wheel here in the states, I guess that is what I was asking in the other post. A split rim wheel is something different here. Also called a Firestone RH5 wheel. They haven't been used since the mid 70s as they were considered to be dangerous.

The split ring I haven't seen on light duty vehicles in a long time, I'm not sure they were all too common on light duty vehicles? (I'm not an expert on them by any means!)

All the 20" truck wheels I have are split ring, but those are considered "obsolete" and I can't even get 20" tires anymore. Been told that in the lower 48 you can still get them. Here I may as well ask for Chuck Norris tears instead of a tire for a 20" truck wheel. I just switched my 1981 International to all 22.5" wheels for that reason.

In any case, not really pertinant to the splitter, I was mostly just curious.

Plenty of split rims in Australia as detailed in your image. we still have some new vehicles with them. guess we are a bit behind the times.

That video is the one that gave me the idea but I was hoping the pinion and ram component I could source as I am not mechanically adept. But I would do the pto and wheel component easily enough.

thanks for your responses.

craig.

Have you considered a hydraulic setup?

With a 28hp engine, you could run a 30+ gpm pump off the PTO. Wouldn't need to be a spendy PTO pump even, could come up with a short pto shaft onto a sprocket or pulley and chain or belt drive a normal pump.
Not too hard to get a 5sec cycle time. Mainly need a good sized pump and a cylinder with a large rod compared to the tube (like a 3" rod in a 3.5" tube) for fast return speed (minimal force needed then)
It would have the benefit of having the power to split knarly stuff. Hard to say how well that unit in the vid works on "normal" wood, that stuff looks to split very easy.

Just a thought.

With a 28hp engine, you could run a 30+ gpm pump off the PTO. Wouldn't need to be a spendy PTO pump even, could come up with a short pto shaft onto a sprocket or pulley and chain or belt drive a normal pump.
Not too hard to get a 5sec cycle time. Mainly need a good sized pump and a cylinder with a large rod compared to the tube (like a 3" rod in a 3.5" tube) for fast return speed (minimal force needed then)
It would have the benefit of having the power to split knarly stuff. Hard to say how well that unit in the vid works on "normal" wood, that stuff looks to split very easy.

Just a thought.

What? One more time!

The website kept giving errors and I thought it wasn't working, but apparently it still posted.

Just a thought.
A 28 hp tractor has a hydraulic system. Just tap into it. No need for any added pump.

tractor only 7gpm so too slow. but as valleyfirewood said i could run a 30gpm off the pto.

I seen some that had two way split action that look interesting and will evaluate against the inertia now I know its possible off the pto.

thanks

I've been looking into the possibility of setting up just this kind of rig - did you ever pursue it? Get anywhere? I was even considering buying a Super Split without an engine, if they'd sell it to me that way.

Back