pulled the trigger and bought my new 51 cc pro saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave mclennan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well I really, really considered the sthil ms 261 pro 51cc saw but I went with the dolmar 5105, I do believe the 261 is the best saw in this class but its appx $100.00 more than the dolmar 5105 and to me its not that much better of a saw, I know the 261 has 4.0 hp and the dolmar is 3.9 hp but in my hands the 261 does not feel like it has more jam, and I got a true dolmar saw, in the dealers store he selling the last of the dolmars and makitas are showing up now, the dealer says there the same but the 5105 model will be dropped makitas will be the ps510 dolmar version, not as powerful at all, anyways thanks for the advice guys I see theres a lot of sthil 261 fans out there and rightfully so to.

Congratulation! There might be a reason why no comparison vids are online.

I noticed that quite a few friends said I was crazy not to buy the 261, in our part of bc Canada I see the 261 a lot, JONSERED is popular to, up here, also our dolmar dealer started selling 2 models of a brand called TANAKA, with 7 YEAR WARRANTY, unheard of here, are they really that good of saw never tried one myself, our dealer has a logging truck load of firewood logs in the back of his shop and has invited me to try the new 51cc tanaka sometime, I'm curious 7 year warrantys WOW anyone out there have the new tanaka 51 cc chainsaw, our dealer loves them

Congrats on your new purchase.
You will be very happy with your decision.
No matter the brand name, a dealer is a necessity.
And since you do have a good local dealer, the choice was easy.
Welcome aboard :)

I am a big fan of Tanaka = Hitachi. Typical japanese quality! I have a 4 saws (35-50cc), 2 trimmers (incl. 1 two stroke & one four stroke), 2 brushcutters and two blowers.

Are they worth the money? I believe yes.
Are they the top brand? No, if you want that you will have to look otherwhere. Typically japanese quality and powerwise right in the middle of the pack.
About warrenty, I have never needed any with all my equipment. But I also donot believe in any of these "forever warrenties". In my experience warrenty problems typically evolve in the first few outings. After that, the problems are typically caused by the user.
I have read a few good reviews of the Hitachi CS51EA = Tanka TCS51EA, although I cannot comment out of personal experience.

There are days I love my 550xpg and then auto tune does something that makes me wish I'd bought the Dolmar for $100 less to lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The PS-5105 continued in the new Makita lineup as an EA5000PR

The old PS-510 has been upgraded to a DCS5121R. Same saw as the EA5000PR but has the open port cylinder and spur sprocket. All the other parts are the same except decals.

The PS-5105 continued in the new Makita lineup as an EA5000PR

The old PS-510 has been upgraded to a DCS5121R. Same saw as the EA5000PR but has the open port cylinder and spur sprocket. All the other parts are the same except decals.
was at the dealers today and asked why he dosent have the Makita ea5000 pr [old 5105] said he couldn't get one, I googled to see if any Canadian dealers had that model and no one had it, the dealer said they switched colors and that model could come here later, the 5105 was a big seller for him so he said he will find out why Canadian dealers cant get it yet.

Good choice. I have the N.E. 261c and the 5105. The Dolmar pulls a 3/8th chain and is at home with it. The 261 seems to like .325 better. I give the torque department to the Dolly. The speed to the 261. Sound out of the box definitely to the 5105.

Just looked up the Makita Canada website. Looks like they did not import the EA7900PR, DCS6421, or the EA5000PR.

Not sure of that will change or if they are waiting for the new models.

I really like all my Dolmars. Although I do not have the 5105. But I am sure it is on par or better then mine.

EA5000PR (5105) will be in Canada by next spring , I emailed my Makita rep last week about it.
They just released the EA3601F to the Canadian line up.

EA5000PR (5105) will be in Canada by next spring , I emailed my Makita rep last week about it.
They just released the EA3601F to the Canadian line up.
great news that model is very popular with firewood cutters up here in bc light and powerful, I noticed the new makitas are now a orange red color and not blue anymore,

Back