Rare Grafted Elms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U could try horti oil, just put a thin coat on, get it at a good nursery. I would put a positive ID on those galls first. Ask JPS, he will know of the top of his head exactly which one that is.

It would have to be a drench the tree is far too large to to cover by spraying, I will work on the identification further and try to find the user JPS.

Probably not anything that would touch them at this stage

I figured I could at least get prepared for next year.

--On a side note: I spent several hours yesterday on latters and climbing a little to remove deadwood, most was able to be "knocked" out of the tree with a broom stick/handle. I pruned back a lot of the foliage too that was growing against the trunk and selectively pruned it to grow outwards instead of against the trunk to prevent shady spots getting moist promoting moss and decay. I must have removed 100lbs in deadwood, much more to go! At least it wont attract beetles and deadwood eating pests, also make it easier to monitor the health if new dead spots arrive I will know they are new. With all the "random" dead branches I'm wondering if there is not a little bit of dutch elm disease roaming around this tree, there is a possibility mutant Wych elms are tolerable to DED which is why the tree still stands in OK health.

Last edited:
Part 3

Part 3 of the video version of this thread! Please check it out, lots of flagging probably has DED but I don't know for sure:

[video=youtube_share;uRPtToEFWbQ]http://youtu.be/uRPtToEFWbQ?hd=1[/video]

oops sorry I didn't re
jie5.jpg

Regarding?

Regarding the original renders I posted I have 2 more now lol
4f6f6b80.jpg

000-1.jpg

0000.jpg

Now I have 2 new versions...we will never know what they day truly looked like!
00000.jpg

000000-1.jpg

So back on the new generation of Campers...the four I potted up last year have dropped to three I lost one somehow, the buds darkened and never opened and they roll off with your finger but these three should be solid from here on out:
IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_3500_zps12c090d2.jpg

I will continue to hoard Wych/Scots Elms as I can find them but I feel confident in grafting these three this summer. After examining and studying these trees in my town it appears a lot of them were created using a larger rootstock and splicing in mutant branches like so:
Graft_002_zps893bba8a.png

IMG_3358.jpg

However I do not think this is the only way they were grafted, I think some mutant branches were grafted onto rootstock the same diameter using the following method:
grafting_7775_lg_zps3b322834.gif

Graft_001_zps335067af.png

IMG_3331.jpg

I am uncertain about the possibility of chip bud grafts, I kind of think that is how my large Camperdown in this thread got so tall but there is a clear graft line around the entire trunk at breast height. If not then why not experiment right? Maybe I can use a taller rootstock and graft mutant buds onto it to create a stronger, sturdy and straight trunk that is tall AND weeps traditionally I'm thinking long term here people (this posture would require less maintenance I think while preserving the characteristics and qualities)
budster_zpsab051f39.jpg

62.jpg

Been working out of town way too much and way too many hours! Good to get back even for a few weeks and "catch up" so to speak.
Great to see you still at it, keep up the learning lab you're not the only one in class.
Steve

Watching the part 3 a moment ago and noticed at 5:32~ish that wound in the left side of frame
looks like an alien and sorta fits the screech in the tune.

hope that your efforts work out and we don't just see an estate sale
or something where the trees become a firewood cutting thread.
just guessing from the pics, but the area around that house
looks like it's in slow transition from residential
and I can just imagine how quickly a developer will want to
"get rid of the sickly looking, fall on someone, hazard trees"

thanks for posting and for giving us the good photos of things.

I did not catch that haha

Fortunately the property owners have been very good with me, this is why I believe the tree is historically notable and should receive some protection from the town (or state). This thread and the project might be enough to save it if that day ever comes.

:cheers:

Thanks!

I gave the pots a love tap and pulled on the trunk so the entire root ball and dirt remained in tact, they were only in about 3" of soil but not root bound no bottom circling however I added 3" more soil and replaced the trees...topped with new mulch:
IMG_3528_zps981986e0.jpg

A common problem whether potted or in the ground seems to be branch tips dieing; the buds turn black and roll off with your finger and eventually the branch tip shrivels up and falls off...is this early signs of dutch elm disease?
IMG_3530_zps21fd9a5a.jpg

IMG_3534_zpse3288866.jpg

Here is a sneak peek of what I have going on; those three established Wych elms will be used to graft using three completely different methods, while I will have to wait a year to find if the grafted buds take or not all I can do is collect Wych elm for future grafting stock (remember I am starting a mini Camperdown farm/nursery I was allotted the land). The "Heywood Mansion" Camperdown location seems to be the only place I can find rooted Wych elms I assume they are seeded from the top of that massive 1878 tree, however a problem I am noticing when hunting down these seedlings is I believe they are cross-breeding with other "junk elms" because some small ones have all very native looking double pointed leafs when others taller with larger leafs have more rounded or pointy leafs with just a few native Wych looking leafs. Keeping this potential problem in mind I only dug the more dominate looking ones up and I have about a dozen here ready to be individually transplanted:
IMG_3541_zps074b033d.jpg

That bucket made for over a dozen but some went into shock and their leaves crisp and fell off, but most are fine so far...these will root for a year before I attempt grafting:
IMG_3597_zps0c234f16.jpg

I actually dug dark soil I hope it is not too acidic there were some pine trees around, I shook it through a screen and removed the dust dirt that turns into mud and kept the small pebbles of dirt maybe it contains clay it takes a lot of water for them to break down. I figured this would allow good drainage and oxygen to the roots so they are free to grow and it seems to hold its moisture well:
IMG_3603_zps5019c0a1.jpg

Four went into shock and lost all their leaves, everything is looking great for stock this year!
IMG_3731_zpse54bd4e6.jpg

All four have new green buds too so I lost nothing!
IMG_3737_zps4cc039c1.jpg

IMG_3736_zpsecf0c546.jpg

Last edited:
I am now coming to an understanding that the reason the graft is done at breast height or as low to the ground as possible is because this prevents the root-stock from suckering and becoming dominant (more maintenance free).

If this is the case...I have never seen it done and maybe it is a genetic mutation variable but why not air-layer a piece off the top of a Camperdown that way the root system is pure dominant Camperdownii right?! I think I may be onto something here

Yes!!!

Dear Nate,

in response to your email of June 20, 2013, although we customarily recognize American elms, the Camperdown elm you made us aware of is certainly worthy of recognition. We would therefore like to invite you to enroll this elm on the National Honor Roll of Historic Elms. Elm research Institute will designate this elm as a landmark specimen commemorating its past and hopefully helping to insure its future.

By accepting this designation, you are joining a crusade to help save a great specimen and a most beautiful shade tree.

We hope you will consider mounting a Historic Elm plaque proudly on or near your tree. The plaque informs passers-by that this tree is an historic landmark to be preserved and protected for future generations.

In some areas where plaques have been presented, an impressive ceremony has developed with some newspaper coverage.

Because there are so few trees of this stature, we must take extra measures to preserve them. If we can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us a 1-800-367-3567 or 603-358-6198.

Sincerely,
John P. Hansel
Founder
Elm Research Institute
11 Kit Street
Keene, NH 03431
(603)358-6198
The Liberty Tree Society

This is the only one I have ever seen in person and this tree was cut down in Yarmouth ME

Herb15JimMilan_zps054c71c1.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly the new trees in the smaller pots held onto their leaves much longer than the established trees in the larger pots....grafts to come in the spring!!
IMG_4780_zps71087aee.jpg

67-1.jpg

Back on it! To recap I used Bonide 2 years ago with good results, skipped last year and this year I am going to try this Garant 2F (maximum recommended dosage; probably entire bottle) will most likely apply it next week.

109.jpg

Back