Rounds versus splits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Question

A 4X4X8 pretty closely stacked pile of unsplit rounds will yield more or less than a cord split and stacked ready to burn ????.

Thought I saw a conversion here before, but cannot find again

Thx

someone on here once did a scale model, they cut up a bunch of different diameter dowels to simulate dif size wood rounds, stacked them iinside a jig, then split the little dowel rounds the same way youd split wood, and re stacked , to demonstrate how it "fluffs" once split, it was pretty hilarious

Just take 3 rounds and split it in to whatever size you want it, and then try and put them back in the same space the rounds took. Can't do it.

Kinda like christmas light, can never get them back in the box they came from with out it looking like it spent 10hrs at a buffet.

ahhh, but burn it and it takes up less space yet...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a few months back, to take a round that will just fit in a5 gal. bucket. Then split it and try and put all the split pieces back in the bucket. Can't do it.

Been scientifically done here. Basic more empty spaces with splits than logs.

It's the Hole Thing: you dig a hole, then try to fill it with what came out. The dirt overflows the hole. Compacted ? Air ? Science fiction ?

Then again : why care? :dizzy:

Sure would be nice if that old thread was made a sticky. It would keep this subject from popping up every 6 months or so.

Harry K

:agree2::agree2: this pops up all the time andby no means is this to bash people but some times the search engine dosen't find what we no we have read.

Beefie

My big brother try to tell me you could get more split wood in a truck than you could rounds, that was after i hauled a few loads. Mark 1 up for the little bro""" :clap:

Common sense tells you there'd be more air gaps after you bust up a round. Splitting it up will always require more storage space for the same amount of wood. Guaranteed.

Latest posts

Back