saw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am catching on to the different types of saw chain kind of slowly so bear with me. My 55 has a 20" bar which came with Oregon 34 LG chain I believe (has 34 on the drive links, and is not skip tooth) which cut very well and I was quite happy with it. In the search for more perfromance I got my anniversary gift today which is a 16" bar and the chain my local dealer recommended, which is also .325 chain. Instead of saying Oregon it says "EM" on the side and has "25" on the side of the depth guage. Also the drive link says "S21" on it. My dealer said this is a much more aggressive chain. It looks a lot meaner, that is for sure. Any experience with chain or who "EM" is? Also the dealer had written "66DL" which I assume is an Oregon number. Please give me some insight as to whether this is a good combo and will cut better. Thanks:blob2:

Hi Huskyman,

All else being equal, a shorter bar will free more HP to cut wood.

The Oregon 34LG is a 0.058 gauge, low-profile chisel chain. The 34LG uses a 5/32" file for sharpening. The low-profile design is supposed reduce vibration up to 25% because the cutters don't stand up so high.

I think the EM S21 chain is also a 0.058 gauge chain. The 25 on the side is likely the top-plate filing angle of 25 degrees. This chain is probably similar to an Oregon 21LP.

The 21LP is a chisel chain that uses a 3/16" (read 6/32") file. This means the cutters stand a little taller than the 34LG (aka more aggressive). Taller cutters means greater kick-back potential so be careful.

The engine size range for the 21LP chain is 38-62cc so you should be able to really rip with your 55 and a 16" bar.

You may notice a little more vibration. But it won't be nearly as bad as using a 3/8" size chain like the Husky 55 Rancher.

In my opinion, you have the best combination for your saw. Be sure to post how you like it!

HUSKYMAN,tHE DL IS DRIVE LINKS,the total drive links on your i6 inch chain is 66.knowing the drive links the pitchand the guage will let you buy other brands of chain.Shorter bar and chain will help your husky be more of a balanced package also.Too many people over bar thier saw and ware the saw out long before its time.:) dan

The new chain you have is Oregon 21 manufactured for Electrolux Motors hence the EM. 21 is oregon professional chain. 25 is the depth gauge setting when brand new.
If you really want to cut some wood you should try to get your hands on a piece of Carlton K2L pro chisel chain.

Got a chance to use my new combo last night on a poor unfortunate Scotch Pine and that tree didnt know what hit it! She was running through 15" logs like nobody's business. I did notice more vibration but I will gladly make that trade for the addtl performance. The best thing was the bar was buried in the wood and didnt slow at all. I have found my new all purpose combo. Thanks for the advise, guys.

HuskyMan,

I know the feeling i had a 24" bar on my stihl 046 then last weekend i bought a 18" bar and what a difference. I was cutting down a ole dead tree that was just as thick and my new bar is long and man it went through it like butter. There isnt really anything like big power and little itty bitty bar.

Keep on cuttin

Back